Fitbit Getting Sued

Options
Colorscheme
Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
A lot of us have Fitbits, so I thought this was worth mentioning.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/lawsuit-claims-fitbit-devices-dangerously-underestimate-heart-rate/

Personally, I don't understand how something that doesn't have a chest strap can one hundred percent be accurate with heart rate monitoring. Also, Fitbits aren't meant to replace a doctor, and I wish consumers would understand this.

Replies

• Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    People are so ridiculously litigious. It's an estimate. I use any non-chest strap monitor as an estimate - and a lowered estimate. If someone feels the need to get calories to an EXACT number burned, I think there are bigger obsessive issues there.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    kimvmajor wrote: »
    People are so ridiculously litigious. It's an estimate. I use any non-chest strap monitor as an estimate - and a lowered estimate. If someone feels the need to get calories to an EXACT number burned, I think there are bigger obsessive issues there.

Agreed. I use mine as a general guide. Mine is a Charge and it doesn't even have an HR feature, which I don't mind. It gets me moving more and that's all I care about.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I think it over estimates. But come on. There's no chest strap. What do folks expect? Magic?
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! I have a fitbit HR and do not rely or put much weight into the numbers that it provides. The only numbers that I would pay attention to is when I activate its workout mode where it records all the stats during the workout. Outside of that, I don't pay much attention the Fitbit HR stats.

It isn't surprising how many many people take number of the band at face value. There's no way it's accurate to the T and on every metric. Even relying on it as an estimate I still come to be skeptical.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...how something that doesn't have a chest strap can one hundred percent be accurate with heart rate monitoring.

ECG based HR monitoring isn't 100% accurate either. They're similarly vulnerable to error, particularly in the higher aerobic and anaerobic ranges.

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's pretty interesting. I did a quick test, and my fitbit's HR estimation is pretty close to my pulse (carotid pulse 64, fitbit pulse 64).
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I saw this too. Use a Fitbit Surge. Just as an estimate. Its fun doing the challenges etc. but its my body that tells me more about how I should feel. Not just numbers. Remember when Apple had antennagate. lol
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    ...how something that doesn't have a chest strap can one hundred percent be accurate with heart rate monitoring.

ECG based HR monitoring isn't 100% accurate either. They're similarly vulnerable to error, particularly in the higher aerobic and anaerobic ranges.

True. I actually have a loop recorder implanted so my boyfriend and I like to make jokes than I am bionic and have constant HRM that gets transmitted to a doctor's office at 2 am. I have arrythmia issues, though.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It is ridiculous.
    It is not perfect, but does a great job, at least for me.
    It is the best motivator I have to get me to move more, and that is all good.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its a guide.

nothing more, nothing less
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It is ridiculous.

Given that the marketing claims it's useful for many things that it's wholly inappropriate for I can, in some ways, see a case for advertising standards involvement.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It is ridiculous.

Given that the marketing claims it's useful for many things that it's wholly inappropriate for I can, in some ways, see a case for advertising standards involvement.

This. I think they bit themselves with the way they're advertising it. I personally use it to give me an idea of what's happening during my workout, and I prefer it more for an overall look at my day.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    There was a programme on TV tonight that tested Fitbits and other trackers Vs smart watches Vs free phone apps, and the phone apps were just as accurate as the trackers. The smart watches were more accurate for the serious athletes, but none of them were really accurate. If you can see BBC iPlayer, the prog was called What To Buy And Why.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I think it over estimates. But come on. There's no chest strap. What do folks expect? Magic?

Yes, everyone expects magic. Plus, lawsuits seem to be the most popular American past time.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yes, everyone expects magic. Plus, lawsuits seem to be the most popular American past time.

Some lawusits are warranted, some are not. This is not a warranted one, imo.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    kimvmajor wrote: »
    Mhm, this whole thing seems so silly. We do have a culture that lacks personal responsibility on the whole so I'm not surprised.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    It's a stupid lawsuit. People are so money-hungry and don't want to work for it. It works great for what it is meant to be.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Is it really inaccurate? I'm thrilled with the results i have now, and i want to believe my fitbit charge hr had a significant place in helping me determine my tdee. Is the concern that the hr is low balling the numbers? My tdee is even higher than i thought?

Jeez. Maybe i really have been pushing too hard. I don't regret anything I've been doing for the sake of wellness.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It's tool and its being sued by tools.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Hmmm. Is it really inaccurate? I'm thrilled with the results i have now, and i want to believe my fitbit charge hr had a significant place in helping me determine my tdee. Is the concern that the hr is low balling the numbers? My tdee is even higher than i thought?

Jeez. Maybe i really have been pushing too hard. I don't regret anything I've been doing for the sake of wellness.

I don't think it is terrible inaccurate, but I don't have the HR ones.