What activity level would you consider a SAHM?

Options
I'm a mom to four-5yrs and under including 20 month old twins. My daughter is in kindergarten full time and I'm at home with my 3yr old and twins during the day.

Would this be considered sedentary, or lightly active? I'm eating 1450 calories per day, and am down (so far) 2.6lbs this week. I have my weight loss goals set to 1lb loss per week as I only have 16lb to get to GW.

Thanks!

Replies

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm a nanny and have a day filled with 3yo twins. I sit to play with them often but with all our moving around from activity to activity I do think lightly active would be accurate. But I chose to use sedentary and have my FitBit give me extra calories if I earn them. So far today I have about 200 additional calories and I likely won't eat them back today due to schedule. I'm actually eating the same as you as well, 1450.

Give it a few weeks and see what happens, if you're losing quicker than you'd like then turn up your activity level and eat those calories instead. I'd rather be under estimating my activity than over estimating though :)
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Set to seditary. If you do a workout add it in. Basic movement through the day can help but you really need to get your heart rate up to do any serious burning. If it's your first week losing weight I doubt you lost 2.6 pounds of fat just yet. Daily weight Flux can be 2-3 pounds. I've heard some report 5 in shark week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sedentary means "tending to spend much time seated; somewhat inactive."
    Does that sound like you?

Try lightly active for a few weeks and see what happens with your weight loss then adjust as necessary.
    Best to ignore the first week of dieting as that's going to be mostly water weight and less food volume in your system.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I think I set mine to "lightly active." I spend a lot more time in the car than I originally estimated. I had mine set to maybe "moderate" didn't lose weight; adjusted down and lost weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you do all day really.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time SAHM and I consider it sedentary, but then I use the negative calorie adjustment on my Fitbit. Seems to work fine for me.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM of four as well (though mine are older - 8, 6, 3, and 5 mo) and I have it set to lightly active.
  • sadiepie05
    sadiepie05 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM and I have mine set to lightly active with negative calories enabled. Some days I get 10,000 steps some days it's only 3,000. Having a fitbit with negative calories enabled really takes the guess work out of things.
  • ritzbits190
    ritzbits190 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM to a 17 month old and I have it set to lightly active. That level seems to be right on point for me.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM to a 4 yr old. I sit more than I did when I worked and would have thought sedentary. But, since I got my Fitbit I set MFP to sedentary & I always get a few hundred extra calories from actual activity. SAHM is lightly active in reality.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to Sedentary, but I wear a FitBit so it modifies my calories burned throughout the day. :) I'd rather underestimate than overestimate.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    When I have my sister's kids, my pedometer zooms up from 11,000 / day average to about 15,000 / day average steps. I wouldn't know this without a pedometer! My recommendation is to get one (Doesn't have to be a fancy $150 fitbit either).
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    Set to seditary. If you do a workout add it in. Basic movement through the day can help but you really need to get your heart rate up to do any serious burning. If it's your first week losing weight I doubt you lost 2.6 pounds of fat just yet. Daily weight Flux can be 2-3 pounds. I've heard some report 5 in shark week.

Sorry, gotta disagree here. I used to use a BodyMedia Fit (I am so pissed they stopped supporting it) and my biggest calorie burn days were not heavy workout days, but days when I was hosting a party. Because I was in constant motion from the time I got up until I fell into bed. I'm talking over 3000 calories a day.

So as a SHAM running after kids I would say at a minimum you are at least "lightly active."
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I would say at least lightly active. That's what I have mine set to and I always earn extra calories from fitbit. Though that's probably from my daily run. Though when I'm up I'm generally constantly on the go - cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking care of my young kids, meal planning, working on my computer (which sets on my counter so I stand to use), driving places, errands... There's always stuff to get done. I generally don't sit down until the end of the day when the kids go to bed.

I will say though that I knew a stay at home mom that was very sedentary even when she was watching kids in her home. She had a small home and just didn't move much from one spot to the next.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Sahm here to 4 ages 7,6,4,1.5

I wear a fit bit and easily log 12,000 steps a day, without intentional exercise.

Im set at active.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

Sorry, gotta disagree here. I used to use a BodyMedia Fit (I am so pissed they stopped supporting it) and my biggest calorie burn days were not heavy workout days, but days when I was hosting a party. Because I was in constant motion from the time I got up until I fell into bed. I'm talking over 3000 calories a day.

So as a SHAM running after kids I would say at a minimum you are at least "lightly active."
    I agree. Although I'm a guy, I had a job over the summer that had me on my feet all day. Very little of that counted as "moderate exercise", but according to my Fitbit I burned about 2800 calories most days I worked, which is a lot for a 125 lb person.

• dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That can vary so much. Some days I'm go go go non stop. Other days it's more driving and sitting teaching (homeschool mom too). I set mine to sedentary. But some days my iPhone, which monitors my steps, gives me a lot of extra calories.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    So basically what everyone is saying is I need a Fitbit lol, actually I have been wanting one for a while so maybe it's time to get one.

I'm actually really comfortable eating 1400-1500 calories per day, and although I don't mind lowering my 1lb per week loss to 1/2lb per week, I'd really like to get this right, so I'm able to adjust my calorie intake as I get closer to goal. The 2.6lb loss is likely a little water weight, however I lost 3lbs the week before as well.
  • HutchA12
    Options

I don't know your stats the bigger you are the more you burn doing general movement and just being. I don't know your calorie tracker or how it deduced it's #s. You could have been that active for a specific day but that doesn't mean it's everyday. 3000 calories if that's just counting the cals from walking is equal to almost 12 hours at a 3 to 3.5 constant mph walk at 160#. If she is sitting in the car, during the lessons, the car back that is sedentary.

If she puts it up and isn't losing she can put it down. Works the other way too.

Also looks like body media was bought by jawbone don't know if that's how they make their stuff now.
  • HutchA12
    Options

I agree. Although I'm a guy, I had a job over the summer that had me on my feet all day. Very little of that counted as "moderate exercise", but according to my Fitbit I burned about 2800 calories most days I worked, which is a lot for a 125 lb person.

Depending on the work sure sure. I don't know your stats. 2800 sounds a little high even if the job is active but sure. Where you eating around 4.5k cals a day to maintain.