vegetarian protein packed meals?

Options
_juleess
_juleess Posts: 14 Member
I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years now and I have a very very little protein intake

Replies

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Are you ovo-lacto, or vegan? For ovo-lacto, eggs and low fat cottage cheese are good choices. Vegans can get protein from tofu, peas, beans.
  • Himurahotaru
    Himurahotaru Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Tofu, beans, tempeh, nuts, seeds, eggs if you eat them. Legumes and lentils are good but I don't have alot of experience cooking with those. I've been vegetarian for a while too
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Salads with eggs, cottage cheese, beans, soy, & I supplement w protein shakes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    In addition to tofu, peas, beans, tempeh, and nuts/seeds, seitan is a fantastic source of plant-based protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Also, consider choosing foods in any/all categories that have a bit more protein, instead of those that don't have much. The "minor players" may only add 2 or 5 grams, but they add up over the day. If you eat breads or pasta, choose ones with more protein. If you need crunch on your salad, add seeds instead of croutons. If you need to thicken a soup or sauce, use pureed white beans. For a snack, have dry-roasted soybeans, edamame, or crunchy chickpeas instead of chips or whatever. I could go on and on.

Also, take a look at this thread: Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth.

It explains & links to a lengthy spreadsheet that lists foods that get a large proportion of their calories from protein (i.e., they're calorie-efficient sources of protein). Just skip past the meat entries to find things you eat and like, and add more of those foods to your daily eating.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Nut butters, flaxseed (toasted or raw), greek yogurt, black beans, whey protein, vegetarian protein powders, eggs, cheese (especially parmesan/romano)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Lentils!