Taking a break?

Options
13»

Replies

• AlliRich
    AlliRich Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking, I have removed the word "diet" from my vocabulary. I think the biggest issue (at least for me) is thinking that engaging in healthy eating habits means being on a restrictive, unappealing diet as opposed to it being an overall lifestyle change. It seems that now, even when I'm not logging, I'm still mindful of what I put in my body, because it's not just about losing weight, but also how I feel overall. For the first time, after years of losing, gaining, logging, not logging, this new mindset/view of eating has allowed me to sustain better habits, even on those days when I do indulge in one or two chocolate chip cookies. And the scale has still managed to report in my favor :-)

Does anyone else have any thoughts or guidance on this? I'm definitely not an expert, and always looking for positive feedback!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I at least desire to be within, my normal weight range for my height; before I officially take a break. After exactly 6 months (December 22nd) & losing 20 pounds, I was 5 pounds away; from that but currently I am 10 & I plan on the break being 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll lose these 10 pounds (some of which, is only water weight because I'll be having my TOM, in a couple of days) & complete my diet break, before my 36th birthday (April 1st).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @MondayJune22nd2015 I think you are working towards going into maintenance rather than a diet break. Diet breaks are usually done while you are still actively losing but need a rest from it. It is usually a 2-4 week break.
    With what you have to lose, not including the TOM bloat I am sure you will reach your goal by your birthday. Yippee!

Don't get discouraged if it gets really, the scale hardly moves, slow. It does for a lot of us.

Cheers, heather.
    Sorry for the detour on your thread @alizesmom.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    AlliRich wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I have removed the word "diet" from my vocabulary. I think the biggest issue (at least for me) is thinking that engaging in healthy eating habits means being on a restrictive, unappealing diet as opposed to it being an overall lifestyle change. It seems that now, even when I'm not logging, I'm still mindful of what I put in my body, because it's not just about losing weight, but also how I feel overall. For the first time, after years of losing, gaining, logging, not logging, this new mindset/view of eating has allowed me to sustain better habits, even on those days when I do indulge in one or two chocolate chip cookies. And the scale has still managed to report in my favor :-)

Does anyone else have any thoughts or guidance on this? I'm definitely not an expert, and always looking for positive feedback!

totally agree.
    good lifestyle choices goes a long ways.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    @MondayJune22nd2015 I think you are working towards going into maintenance rather than a diet break. Diet breaks are usually done while you are still actively losing but need a rest from it. It is usually a 2-4 week break.
    With what you have to lose, not including the TOM bloat I am sure you will reach your goal by your birthday. Yippee!

Don't get discouraged if it gets really, the scale hardly moves, slow. It does for a lot of us.

Cheers, heather.
    Sorry for the detour on your thread @alizesmom.

@middlehaitch I'd agree if I was large frame, then the highest normal weight range for my height'd; be ideal but since I am small frame & the weight range includes all frame sizes, I have a minimum of another 24 pounds to lose; after becoming within the normal weight range or a maximum of 36 pounds.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    I'm really interested if you guys can give information on the benefits of diet breaks and is there a "best" time to take one? Like after 4 months, 6 months, a year? I don't know if there is information out there but I'm really curious on if this is something that I should consider or just keep plowing along.

I took my first diet break after I reached my first goal. That was all the weight I was going to lose. I was back down to what I weighed in 2011, and within my normal BMI range. Plus I didn't figure I could lose much more than that anyway.

I was also heading to Canada for a month just then, and the last thing I wanted to do was to track my calories while on holiday!

But the last few days before I departed to Canada that little message that pops up when you close your diary was hinting that in 5 weeks I could be a weight I haven't seen since about 2008. So all the while I was on holiday, that was in the back of my mind. Could I really get down to that weight? How cool would that be!

When I returned, I decided to give it a go ... and sure enough, over the next 4 months I dropped to a weight I haven't seen since about 2003!! :grin:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm on a diet break again now, and again, I'm at a place where I'm debating what to do next. I'm in the lower half of my BMI range so I don't really need to lose more weight ... but I'd kind of like to drop anywhere from 2-5 kg more. I'd also like to start getting more serious about weightlifting and building muscle and for that I apparently need to eat more ...

So, you have to decide what works for you, but what worked for me was reaching goals first.

• toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever DID. you have to WANT it, if you don't want it you won't get it...taking a break makes you want it again.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Break's officially over and I continue to lose weight. Easing off was scary but felt great!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »
    Thanks. Break's officially over and I continue to lose weight. Easing off was scary but felt great!

Oh good! So glad you enjoyed it. I always seem to lose weight a bit better right after I take a break. Nothing scientific to back that up but just a personal experience.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Glad it was a success and you are feeling good.

Cheers, h.