Help a new guy out please!?

Options
Just wondering.. I'm set up on my calories at 1500, but I will eat what I gain with exercise. My question is. Do I need to be focused on all of my MacroNutrient %'s. I mean I am very low on calories at times, but am over in carbs, fat, etc... I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to eat, that will give me calories, but not be in the red in everything else. Right now it is set at Carbs 188g (50%), Fat 50g (30%), and Protein 75g (20%). Do I need to focus more on the over-all calories, and not pay much attention to the others, as long as it's not crazy? Hope this makes sense. I am new to all this diet stuff, and never really paid much attention to what I ate. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Calories = weight. Macros = Nutrition. To lose weight it's just total calories, but you might find yourself hungrier on a certain macro balance vs another. People eat highs and lows of all the groups with various diets. lowering carbs a little and upping the protein is what a lot of people suggest for feeling full. I'm a long term vegetarian so I feel fuller on a bit higher carb diet.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. If you are trying to lose or to gain, focus on calories first. Meet your target deficit or surplus, because calories over or under your daily need will determine if you lose or gain. I usually eat back a portion of my exercise calories, but not all (trying to lose). If you are focused on overall nutrition or just toning, I would really look at the macros to make sure you are hitting goals. Give it about a month to see what feels right, then adjust. I say a month because the first week or two you often see but jumps as your body adjusts, then things steady out.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Focus mainly on overall calories.

Look at protein as a goal to reach and going over on that is fine. Next try to at least come close to fat and going over a bit on that is fine. Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs. It's fine to be under on carbs.

I watch my macros and try to come close but it's no biggie if I miss some days.
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm always under on my total calories, but I'm always stressing because I'm red in fat, or sugar, etc... And it drives me nuts. That's why I was wondering if as long as I stay under calories I'm good. I'm trying to lose weight btw. Set to lose 2lbs per week. I started off doing low carb at 20g, and staying higher in fat, but wanted to make it simpler, and focus on just calories, and be able to still eat the things I like. I appreciate everyone's advice.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You can change the default MFP macro settings. Take a read of the first post in this thread to get your calories and macros squared away.

Calories are your first concern because calories in < calories out (often abbreviated as CICO around here) is the key to weight loss. Get that under control and start paying attention to your macros as you log your food, you can refine the process on the fly. Don't sweat being right on the money with your macros, if you're somewhere in the ballpark you'll be fine. Don't make it any more difficult than it has to be - as long as you're maintaining your deficit and eating a well-rounded diet that satisfies you and you can live with, you're golden.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    I would also add that if you are in the red with certain macros, think about how it got there. Sometimes it is not worth sweating. For instance, I have a sweet tooth. I substitute candy with clementines. Now, I make sure I stay in my calorie range, but I often go over on sugar because of the sugar in fruit. I am OK if I am over because of clementines (I mean, not scary over, but over). If it was M&Ms that trashed the sugar? I'd likely make a change.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »
    Thanks! I'm always under on my total calories, but I'm always stressing because I'm red in fat, or sugar, etc... And it drives me nuts. That's why I was wondering if as long as I stay under calories I'm good. I'm trying to lose weight btw. Set to lose 2lbs per week. I started off doing low carb at 20g, and staying higher in fat, but wanted to make it simpler, and focus on just calories, and be able to still eat the things I like. I appreciate everyone's advice.
    Eat at your calorie deficit: 1500
    Eat enough protein
    Get some fats and oils.
    High carbs or low carbs -- does not matter one way or another.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Focus on overall calories

For nutrition
    Set your protein goal at 0.6-0.8g protein per lb of bodyweight as a minimum ...you will have to play with your percentages until the grams are close
    Set fat goal at 0.35g per lb bodyweight

Both the above are minimums you should try to reach daily ...don't worry if you overeat them, carbs are personal choice

Eat a widespread of colourful vegetables, they are great for volume and taste, dairy, lean meats

You don't have to track sugar, you can swap it for fibre
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Just wondering.. I'm set up on my calories at 1500, but I will eat what I gain with exercise. My question is. Do I need to be focused on all of my MacroNutrient %'s. I mean I am very low on calories at times, but am over in carbs, fat, etc... I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to eat, that will give me calories, but not be in the red in everything else. Right now it is set at Carbs 188g (50%), Fat 50g (30%), and Protein 75g (20%). Do I need to focus more on the over-all calories, and not pay much attention to the others, as long as it's not crazy? Hope this makes sense. I am new to all this diet stuff, and never really paid much attention to what I ate. Any help would be appreciated!

My only thought is that, assuming that's you in your photo, you're a man eating 1500 calories or less ("very low on calories at times") and going over in carbs and fat, which must mean you're falling under your 75 g protein goal, which is low-ish for a man to begin with. I'm a 5'4" woman and I shoot for 67 g protein as a bare minimum, and I really prefer to get at least 80 g. If you want to maintain muscle as you lose weight, you'd be wise to make sure to get enough protein. And you can almost certainly lose weight on more than 1500 calories, unless you're an unusually small man. Again, I'm a 5'4" woman in my 50s, and I lose almost a pound a week on 1900 calories.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Good pickup, @lynn_glenmont

The OP's profile says he's 242 lbs.

That could be dated information, but it also says he's male. 1500 is bare minimum for males.

Kchuskey, what's your height and weight?
  • kchuskey
    Options
    I am 6'0" and currently way 232lbs. My goal weight is 185lbs, and 2lbs loss a week. I workout run/exercise five days a week total. 45 minutes. This is what I plugged in, and it set my goal calories at 1490. I rounded it up to 1500
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am 6'0" and currently way 232lbs. My goal weight is 185lbs, and 2lbs loss a week. I workout run/exercise five days a week total. 45 minutes. This is what I plugged in, and it set my goal calories at 1490. I rounded it up to 1500

What Activity Level did you put in, and are you using a fitness tracker?
  • kchuskey
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Initially I put in sedentary. I'm a car/desk jockey. (Salesman) But I walk daily (M-F) currently walk 45-50 minutes and burn roughly 330-340 calories each time, and I am starting C25K tomorrow, as well as 7-minute workout daily, or until I start going to gym. When I start at gym, I will lift MWF, and run on TTS, resting on Sunday. Whatever calories I gain thru exercise, I will plan on eating.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    So you're eating 1500 plus exercise cals right?

So grossing around 2000-2300
  • kchuskey
    Options
    Yes...That is is what I was estimating. Or close. I obviously won't just eat to eat, but am aware of not getting enough Cals.
  • kchuskey
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I have used this. I believe it had me around 2060 calories. I'm confused by the activity level. I assume I'd need to put sedentary, to get my base BMR, then the exercise I input here takes that into consideration. What do you suggest I do? I just want to stick to a plan. lol
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No scooby is a TDEE calculator and you are not sedentary even though your day job is

Go for 3 x moderate

But it's just to be aware / double check

I would follow MFP, plus log exercise and eat back 50-75% of those calories ...because it motivates me to move more / keep to my walking and workouts
  • kchuskey
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    No scooby is a TDEE calculator and you are not sedentary even though your day job is

Go for 3 x moderate

But it's just to be aware / double check

I would follow MFP, plus log exercise and eat back 50-75% of those calories ...because it motivates me to move more / keep to my walking and workouts

So what activity level should I start with at MFP? Sedentary, light, active, or very active? Sorry for all the questions.