Really 1lb...????

Options
I am the perennial yo-yo dieter.. But I decided healthy food and exercise is the best bet (yeah I know hardly rocket science!). So for the last week I have been eating lots of healthy chicken salads and gluten free soups, my net calories have fluctuated from 700-950.. I've done weights and worked out pretty much everyday.... and I weighed in this morning to find out that I lost 1lb.... 1lb! Now that didn't send me diving into the left over Christmas chocolates, but I have to say it made me feel pretty crap, I know that something's have changed, the muffin top overhang does appear to be less overhangy.. and I know that my jiggly bits are probably turning into muscle, and muscle is heavier than the jiggly bits.. But still feel a little pants about it all! Let's see what next week holds eh? Thanks for reading :wink:

Replies

• pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Well, quite obviously your net calories shouldn't be that low. And you are not counting calories, it would seem.
  • Beaupeep
    Beaupeep Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you google eating too few calories you will find that it sometimes throws off your metabolism so that you don't lose weight! This is from Livestrong. "Effects on Weight Loss - Eating too few calories won’t prevent you from losing weight. However, it can slow down your body’s metabolism, making it more difficult to shed pounds. A study published in 2006 in “Obesity” found that very low-calorie diets, or VLCDs, containing less than 800 calories daily are not more effective long term than low-calorie diets providing 1,000 to 1,500 calories a day. Weight-Control Information Network, or WIN, says low-calorie diets actually work better for most adults than very low-calorie diets."
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A whole week!!
    Seriously - change your expectations or you will be doomed to another yo-yo cycle.

And eat more, that's ridiculously low. What you are doing is completely unsustainable and will lead to yet another..... you guessed it, a yo-yo cycle of restrict and then failure.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably going into starvation mode....

Each person's body is a little different as to how they work with food. I know that personally the amount of carbohydrates in my diet affect my weight loss, which is why soups would not work for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A whole week!!
    Seriously - change your expectations or you will be doomed to another yo-yo cycle.

And eat more, that's ridiculously low. What you are doing is completely unsustainable and will lead to yet another..... you guessed it, a yo-yo cycle of restrict and then failure.

All of this. Plus fat doesn't 'turn' to muscle. Fat is fat, muscle is muscle
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    She did say net calories, which is her calories minus exercise calories. That being said- one pound is great and progress is progress. I would also say that if you are just starting an exercise program your muscles will retain water at first so be patient.
  • dpkolanda
    dpkolanda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    From past experience you are not eating enough calories, you also need to make sure that you get enough fat and protein in your diet since fat is easier to metabolize than the carbs and you need the protein for your muscles. I had the same problem with my yo yo diet. A couple things I did was add peanut butter to my raw protein shake in the morning after my work out and if I need more calories during the day I also use pure Olive oil as part of my diet. Hope this helps you! Dont get discouraged, sometimes it takes a while to get it figured out.
  • ellieco
    ellieco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's fine! Healthy sustainable weight loss is normally only 1-2lb a week anyway! If you've also gone from doing nothing to training every day you could be retaining fluid as your muscles recover from the training. You've said yourself that you're a yo-yo dieter so let's break that habit! Get yourself into a sustainable routine. You've made a good kick start to it this week, next week keep getting in the gym but give yourself some active rest days for your muscles to recover and grow (you could still do some yoga or go for a walk or jog on those days!). Also up your calories a little bit to 1200 net. Metabolism effects aside, it will stop you from being ravenously hungry (which is exactly when you make the bad decisions!). Also take some measurements, it helps you see progress when the scale is being stubborn. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    She did say net calories, which is her calories minus exercise calories. That being said- one pound is great and progress is progress. I would also say that if you are just starting an exercise program your muscles will retain water at first so be patient.
    You do realise those net calories are well under the recommended minimum?