Metabolism's Response to Yoyo dieting

Options
Anyone know if there is a general timeframe as to how the metabolism responds when someone is back on track with healthy eating after a long period of yo yo dieting?

I know the internal "alarm" systems start going when someone changes their lifestyle and I was curious to know at what point the body "realizes" this is the new normal. I hope my question makes sense!

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I think you're making your body's basic digestive mechanisms too anthropomorphized and sentient here! Your body is like a very well run city. It has mechanisms for dealing with all sorts of conditions, good & not so good. It's not really invested in any set of circumstances beyond keeping you alive... (A feat we should probably all appreciate a little more! LOL)
    When there are surplus nutrients, your body has a strategy for storage, namely fat production. When there are shortfalls, your body has strategies for alternate nutrients through using your fat stores. When you exert yourself with cardio, your body works to repair & improve capacity there. When you stress muscles through lifting your body makes those muscles gradually stronger as it repairs them.
    If you make healthy lifestyle choices by eating at a consistent deficit and moving more your body isn't going to set off any 'alarms' to fight you on this; its probably your brain you need to fear! Your body is just going to keep doing what it has always done.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You are right; it's definitely probably more my brain! I'm hypothyroid and have some other hormonal issues going on and I know to yo dieting has totally messed up my metabolism.
    I guess my question was more centered around now eating at a significant deficit compared to where I was. Somewhat comparing it a cleanse or being ill in which you lose weight because your calorie consumption is low, yet when you get back to your normal regime, you tend to gain weight. I wasn't sure if a person's body stores food more conservatively until it "recognizes" that this isn't just a short term thing and if so the timeline.
  • scolaris
    Options
    Again, you're talking about your body like its the wizard in the wizard of oz!
    No!
    You will only store fat if there is a surplus of calories.
    MFP has probably given you a calorie amount to lose weight based on your activity level, right? Start there. Move more & eat a little less.
    Eating a lot less will usually just end in a binge. Don't do that.
    You don't need a 'cleanse.' We have organs that specialize in that.
    Your metabolism is a much more resilient than you could ever imagine.
    Just get yourself into a modest, do-able calorie deficit & stay the course. You're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.
    Best wishes to you! xo
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Scolaris is spot on.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You are right; it's definitely probably more my brain! I'm hypothyroid and have some other hormonal issues going on and I know to yo dieting has totally messed up my metabolism.
    I guess my question was more centered around now eating at a significant deficit compared to where I was. Somewhat comparing it a cleanse or being ill in which you lose weight because your calorie consumption is low, yet when you get back to your normal regime, you tend to gain weight. I wasn't sure if a person's body stores food more conservatively until it "recognizes" that this isn't just a short term thing and if so the timeline.

I'd just like to point out that now the above bold text has been brought to light, weight loss (and the tactics to achieve it) can get pretty tricky.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I'd just like to point out that now the above bold text has been brought to light, weight loss (and the tactics to achieve it) can get pretty tricky.

That's true. OP, if you're not already, you should be in touch with your Dr and on meds if you need them.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thank you @scolaris. I am eating within my calorie allotment based on what MFP has calculated and not eating my exercise calories. Thankfully I'm not interested in any cleanses! I have yet to see any benefit in such. I am on medication @jennifer_417. I will stay the course and continue to stay positive :smile:
  • scolaris
    Options
    I feel you. I'm pretty slow at losing... Just do your part: deficit! movement! and let your body do its part. You will get there. Your body really doesn't have a hidden agenda, and it's not your enemy. Even if it's not operating at 100% in some areas, remember it is doing a lot perfectly.
    xo