Cauliflower$$$

I finally decided to try the recipe for cauliflower fried rice. Yesterday I went to my nearest Winco, and cauliflower was $5.00 a head!! There was even little black spots on them. Needless to say I did not purchase any. Whats up with that?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I finally decided to try the recipe for cauliflower fried rice. Yesterday I went to my nearest Winco, and cauliflower was $5.00 a head!! There was even little black spots on them. Needless to say I did not purchase any. Whats up with that?

California's drought may have something to do with this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Yeah up to $6 here... Sigh...
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Buy frozen cauliflower. Same thing, but cheaper.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Get the frozen. It's much cheaper and works fine for the rice.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    It's down to,the weather. It's been a bad year for caulies.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I still can't believe it when I read on hear about the price of caulis in America. We pay 49p in the UK.
  • wandererlust
    wandererlust Posts: 64 Member
    I was just shocked by this myself yesterday! For something like the rice I would definitely opt for frozen too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I would say weather and demand. Cauliflower is one of those "miracle foods" touted for its extra fiber.

I say fool the marketing gods and pick a barely known veggie from the shelf, like a squash or a turnip.

Locally there's been a sudden run on butter as demand shifted, and related shortages. Fats aren't seen as the baddies any more. I saw a pound of unsalted butter marked at $12.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    ...or, *gasp* make rice fried rice. Maybe add a little wild rice or balsamic vinegar to jazz it up.
  • pastasauce24
    pastasauce24 Posts: 1 Member
    A few days ago, the grocery store I went to had a sign saying that they were having trouble sourcing broccoli and cauliflower due to weather in California. They were selling what they had for $3/pound.

Then I went yesterday and it was $1.25 a pound, go figure. I also now have around 5 pounds of cauliflower waiting to be cooked...
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Where I am you are lucky to find cauliflower under $7! This global warming will be adding to even higher food prices.

I buy frozen now.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Where I am you are lucky to find cauliflower under $7! This global warming will be adding to even higher food prices.

I buy frozen now.

Yep, global warming
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I buy frozen too but I haven't dared making roasted cauliflower with it, honestly. Today it was only $3 a head at the store but they're so tiny you could buy 2 bags of frozen at $2 for the same amount...
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member

What about farmers market?

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I use real rice. It tastes delicious.

For cauliflower I buy frozen if the cost is up. Frozen I can get for 98cents per bag and fresh for $4 a head.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I use real rice. It tastes delicious.

For cauliflower I buy frozen if the cost is up. Frozen I can get for 98cents per bag and fresh for $4 a head.

The only time cooked califlower has been palatable to me is when making a dish that involves cauliflower, heavy cream and shredded cheese. Other than that, raw is the way to go for me.

It really isn't a substitute for rice, or hash browns, or whatever monstrosities others make out of it that are meant to replace potatoes and other starches.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Frozen is just as good! Do you have a Trader Joe's? They have frozen cauliflower rice and it is cheap!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited January 2016
    It really isn't a substitute for rice, or hash browns, or whatever monstrosities others make out of it that are meant to replace potatoes and other starches.
    Considering how many recipes there are for faux dishes using it, it must be an acceptable substitute for many people. It probably helps if you like the flavor of cooked cauliflower and are not too picky about textures.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    It's probably out of season in your area, though even in season it's pretty high where I live.

Frozen is much cheaper.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    The equivalent of one dollar per head here. Just had some for lunch. I will cook rice later this week, and it will be made from rice. :D