Eating calories back on maintenance

I know this probably isn't good but i have been eating back my calories that i earned during exercise when i was actively losing. Being able to eat some of those calories back was my primary motive to workout. Now that i am in maintence i was wondering if most of you eat calories you earn in exercise. After 3 years and a loss of 165lbs. the amount of food i get in maintenace seems like a lot. However, i am afraid that if i can't eat at least some of the exercise calories i will just lose interest in working out.

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Depends on what method you are doing MFP? ( so NEAT) which has not included exercise burns
    or TDEE which has include exercise burns

I do TDEE since 15 weeks or so and dont eat back because it is included But still losing weight slowly. so even on my 2000 calories a day it isnt enough to stop the weight loss

But when you do MFP than yes you eat them back

95069916.png
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    To add to that

When you do TDEE and you excercise more your daily burn is more so you eat more too...so in general you eat them back in both methods...only the calculations of NEAT and TDEE is different.

95069916.png
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    You were correct eating back calories while you were losing using MFP to log your exercise. That is what it is set up to do.
    If you are still entering your exercise into MFP now you are in maintenance carry on eating them back just like you did while losing.
    You still need those extra calories to fuel your exercise burn, and of course now you are at your goal, exercising to maintain the health and strength you built in a deficit is important.

If you wish to cut back on your exercise a bit or take the odd break that is fine too.

Cheers h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited January 2016
    IHM1987 wrote: »
    I know this probably isn't good but i have been eating back my calories that i earned during exercise when i was actively losing.

That is exactly how this site is designed to be used! It's a good thing not a bad thing.

At maintenance you must take you exercise into account - whether you do that by the MFP eat back exercise calories method or TDEE method (which includes an average amount) is personal preference.
    I prefer the MFP method as I prefer to eat different amounts daily, have wild fluctuations in the amount of exercise I do and some of my exercise demands I fuel it on the day. People who have a regular routine and like the same calorie goal daily may prefer the TDEE method for its simplicity.
    If you find the MFP method motivational then that's the best method for you I would suggest.

Your body can't ignore the calorie needs for exercise and neither should you.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    I know this probably isn't good but i have been eating back my calories that i earned during exercise when i was actively losing.

That is exactly how this site is designed to be used! It's a good thing not a bad thing.

At maintenance you must take you exercise into account - whether you do that by the MFP eat back exercise calories method or TDEE method (which includes an average amount) is personal preference.
    I prefer the MFP method as I prefer to eat different amounts daily, have wild fluctuations in the amount of exercise I do and some of my exercise demands I fuel it on the day. People who have a regular routine and like the same calorie goal daily may prefer the TDEE method for its simplicity.
    If you find the MFP method motivational then that's the best method for you I would suggest.

Ditto, Ive
    sijomial wrote: »

Ditto, I use this method and it works well for me. I also agree it is personal preference.