Need help with calorie estination

Options
A local restaurant had "skinny wings " which was basically just boneless chunks of chicken seasoned with no breading and then deep fried. My low carb loving husband is craving them and wants to fix them in a fryer we received at Christmas. I can easily count the chicken but really have no idea how to estimate the oil since it will be done in the fryer. Any wisdom you can share?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Not an answer, but I would use the sauce and bake them in the oven. Why fry them? Many recipes online for skinny baked chicken wings.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bad idea! The vegetable oil he will fry it in is highly inflammatory!!! Omega 6's. Turning a good food into a poison!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    Spray with pam and stick in oven. Use TFAL Active-fry or similar (at which point I would log almost all of the oil used as absorbed by the food). Go to the restaurant and let hubby enjoy the wings while you enjoy something else ;-)

Full deep fryer? Good luck. I guess you could measure oil before and after and arbitrarily assign 50% to the food and 50% to "burned off", or some other % that you fancy.

In reality the food will also release liquid in the oil as it cooks, so who knows how much is oil that was absorbed and what was burned off... not me!
  • dangerdriscoll
    dangerdriscoll Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The vegetable/sunflower oil entry I use on MFP is 100kcals per tablespoon - which soon adds up, and enough to deep fry anything will be at least 1000kcals, if not billions more. Of course one isn't actually consuming all that oil but I agree that roasting/baking the chicken would be better for kcal count, and grilling even more so.