To eat before or after jogging?

Options
So I just want to become more routine with my weightloss journey.. I'm definitely not going on my jog on an empty stomach, but I wonder if it is better to eat more food before or after the workout? I tend to eat a small meal of carbs and protein beforehand, and maybe a snack a couple hours later if I'm hungry..then bed. I googled it and science shmience just isn't my thing and there are many contradicting articles...Does it even make a significant difference?TY in advance..

Replies

• Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat something very light before I exercise. I know that if I eat alot before I work out I tend to hurt and cramp up.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I usually have a light carb or coffee before (many times I have nothing) and carbs and protein after.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I think it matters more how you feel. If the workout feels like poo, then maybe you need something. Could maybe even be water? Experiment!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    In the end, it is personal preference. I can workout/run on a full stomach, while my fiancé gets horribly sick doing so. As others have said, if you find yourself unable to perform how you would like, eating an hour or so before might help.
  • KJ4health
    KJ4health Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me I prefer eat right before hand, but it also depends on how long I am going to be running. If it has been a while since I've eaten or I am working out first thing in the morning, I do well with 1/2 banana, or a small container of yogurt. Then afterwards I might have a protein shake (but I have been reading more research that a recovery snack is not really effective, but you are right, there are contradictions ) but I will have that otherwise I feel drained for the rest of the day. Like the above posters say, it depends on how your body reacts and how you feel.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    My take on it:
    If you're not an Olympic runner trying to accomplish something specific, eat enough beforehand that you have the energy to finish strong but not so much that it upsets your stomach to run (running on a full stomach makes me want to hurl). Afterwards, eat what and when you want. It's steady state cardio so it's not like you're trying to capitalize on an anabolic window or anything.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    KJ4health wrote: »
    For me I prefer eat right before hand, but it also depends on how long I am going to be running. If it has been a while since I've eaten or I am working out first thing in the morning, I do well with 1/2 banana, or a small container of yogurt. Then afterwards I might have a protein shake (but I have been reading more research that a recovery snack is not really effective, but you are right, there are contradictions ) but I will have that otherwise I feel drained for the rest of the day. Like the above posters say, it depends on how your body reacts and how you feel.

the research and seminars I reviewed suggest that carbs & protein afterwards are effective.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to you, unless you're doing 10km or more.

I only run short distances before breakfast, and just have some juice before I run.

For longer distances you need more fueling.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Before or after. If after eating, I just wait an hour, otherwise, I get wicked cramping.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. I always workout fasted, because food and running or exertion will guarantee a massive hurl fest on the side of the road.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just see how you feel better. I find that eating too much too soon before a run leads to problems, so I either run later or eat very little. For first thing in the morning I might run fasted (I will usually have had a good dinner with some starchy carbs) or grab a banana or yogurt before. I tend to eat more after. But people vary on what works for them. I don't mind working out fasted, but for more than 4-5 miles I find that I do better if I eat before.
  • perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I only do short distances in the morning, but always before I eat. I find if I sit down and eat first I'm less motivated to go work out and sometimes it ends up making me nauseous. I just sip some water before hand and that's usually enough.
  • AlissaGilbert1
    AlissaGilbert1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cool, thanks all. I guess I should have worded it differently.. I was really just trying to see which way made nutrition expenditure more efficient.. like if I ate afterwards would the carbs and stuff be more likely to be converted to sugars and stored as fat. or if I ate afterwards maybe it is used quicker to replenish glycogen stores? I'll keep researching...
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's really just personal preference. Some people do better training fasted, and some people (like myself) feel like death without food in their stomach. If your method works, keep at it. People like to get caught up in the details, but as long as you're consistently meeting your nutrient goals it doesn't really matter in the long run.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat few hours before jog. Otherwise I'll feel bloated and can't run much.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cool, thanks all. I guess I should have worded it differently.. I was really just trying to see which way made nutrition expenditure more efficient.. like if I ate afterwards would the carbs and stuff be more likely to be converted to sugars and stored as fat. or if I ate afterwards maybe it is used quicker to replenish glycogen stores? I'll keep researching...

That's basically why everyone says it's personal preference. The food will digest and be metabolized the same one way or the other.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

If you're maintaining a caloric deficit, nothing gets stored as fat.
  • Deej1020
    Deej1020 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh I can't eat before. I cramp really bad. Even when in just walking I can feel that I've ate. So I eat afterwards. Doesn't feel like when I do though. Like o worked out and now I'm stuffing my face lol
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Bam! *thumbsup*
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

^This
    Meal timing is irrelevant. If you don't believe that then test for yourself, one month eating before and another month eating exactly the same thing and total overall net calories the same and see what results you get