Low carb vs Paleo Chart Comparison

Options
I created this spreadsheet to try to figure out the difference between low carb and Paleo eating. Please comment with your take on this summary: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-1_IGEIt4-RWE51HIfpSGi_dyGPyXBMSFTmvg4LE8AA/edit?usp=docslist_api

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    These charts look close. What do you see as the important differences?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    they CAN BE TOTALLY INDEPENDENT...like comparing apples and oranges....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Seems about right.
    Low carb can have a lot of variation in carb and fat levels though. Most have carbs between <20g and 100-150g which can be higher and lower than 10%. The same goes for fat; most seem to have at between 50-75%. Protein is usually moderate but some go for lower or high.

For sugars and wheat, you may want to change it to trace/very small instead of no. Most eat some of those products like in a gravy or sugar alcohol in a treat. Most low carbers have some, just not much.

For wheat, ... I would consider adding grains. Many low carbers use some grains. Wheat is just one type of grain. For flours, if we bake coconut or almond flour is generally used.

Legumes - does paleo allow legumes? Small amounts or trace legumes are common in a low carb diets. For example, I had a spoonful of refried beans in my taco salad yesterday (pork, chicken, cheese, sour cream, avocado, and lettuce).

The two types of diets are often complimentary. Low carb is mainly focused on macros of fats and carbs, but within that there are many woes to achieve that: vegetarian, vegan, paleo, primal, carnivorous, moderation style,IIFYM, "clean eating" or others.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    pseudandry wrote: »
    I created this spreadsheet to try to figure out the difference between low carb and Paleo eating. Please comment with your take on this summary: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-1_IGEIt4-RWE51HIfpSGi_dyGPyXBMSFTmvg4LE8AA/edit?usp=docslist_api

That's an HFLC paleo version. The "academic" paleo (tested in clinical trials) is moderate in macro: http://paleodiabetic.com/tag/s-boyd-eaton/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    20% carbs isn't overly low, and if it were <50g the fat would be way higher. Stevia is OK on low carb, as are aspartame or sucralose. They aren't sugar though so perhaps stevia shouldn't be in the paleo column.
  • pseudandry
    pseudandry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    20% carbs isn't overly low, and if it were <50g the fat would be way higher. Stevia is OK on low carb, as are aspartame or sucralose. They aren't sugar though so perhaps stevia shouldn't be in the paleo column.

Stevia is in the Paleo column because, although the place I got my info preferred the Stevie's leaves for Paleo, I just put stevia in the spreadsheet 'cause I didn't want to drive myself too crazy over details. [I'm a newbie with type 2 diabetes who is trying to figure out what I want to discuss with my endocrinologist.]