Spartan Race, anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    CharlzO wrote: »
    A friend at work has me talked into trying one in July of this year in PA. Thank goodness I have time to get in more better shape!

Palmerton you say? I recommend hills and incline....lots of hills and incline No seriously, you will thank me if you do that. ;) Feel free to add me. I'll be at both weekends! And pretty much every other Spartan Race in the areas this year.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to do my first Sprint this September. Maybe even a tough middle of time permits. How would everyone say the cardio challenge is? I can haul my own weight around fairly well, so just looking more into the endurance half of it. I'm aiming for not a single burpie.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I'm looking to do my first Sprint this September. Maybe even a tough middle of time permits. How would everyone say the cardio challenge is? I can haul my own weight around fairly well, so just looking more into the endurance half of it. I'm aiming for not a single burpie.

I am also doing a sprint only in Aug. From what I have read the sprints are super easy and people with no fitness level at all try them.

As far as endurance as long as you can run a few miles then I understand you should be good. I could friend you and let you know after August.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »

I am also doing a sprint only in Aug. From what I have read the sprints are super easy and people with no fitness level at all try them.

As far as endurance as long as you can run a few miles then I understand you should be good. I could friend you and let you know after August.

Having done two Sprints at two different locations, "super easy" is not how I would describe either of them and I'm in pretty decent shape.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I completed the 5km sprint 2 years ago. Lots of fun!!!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Look at my user name. I do Spartan races whenever I can.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Done a Spartan Beast! It was a lot of fun and challenging, but definitely doable. However, I was NOT prepared for the heat.

Note: never do one in late June in Utah. They ran out of water. People were getting ridiculous Charlie horses and taking shots of table salt. I found myself sitting in the dirt massaging a muscle cramp out of my buddy's calf. It was crazy!

I promise you, doing one in the cold is worse! Spartan's water stations are pretty bad.

I hate the cold so that is probably true and it being so hot, I did get a LOT of male torso eye candy... just saying

You are welcome! ;-)
  • jdwils14
    Options
    Training for the Colorado Sprint in May, and then a Super somewhere else in June or July (not decided yet). I live in AZ, and have ran two Sprints, in 2013 and 2014. They earned me my two favorite T-shirts in the closet that I wear first every week.

Now, I am in competition with my girlfriend to earn a fitness goodie, but you can bet your *kitten* we are a team in the races.

More Burpees!!!

Friend me!
  • jdwils14
    edited March 2016
    Options

Do a few burpees and tell me how "easy" they are. If you fail an obstacle, or just don't want to do it, it will cost you 30 of em. yeah, the Sprint is less about endurance and more about basic strength, but it still takes the average person about 3 hours to finish those "few miles." :-) Happy training!
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »

Do a few burpees and tell me how "easy" they are. If you fail an obstacle, or just don't want to do it, it will cost you 30 of em. yeah, the Sprint is less about endurance and more about basic strength, but it still takes the average person about 3 hours to finish those "few miles." :-) Happy training!

The average on a sprint is 3 hours? Wow I feel way good better about my Beast time.
  • jdwils14
    Options

The cardio part is what you make it. It is timed, so if you want a better time, go faster. There are no smooth surfaces, though, so you will rely on your strength to increase the cardio. That is my experience. And I am in the desert, so we had to run through sand for the whole race.
  • ew_david
    Options

The cardio part is what you make it. It is timed, so if you want a better time, go faster. There are no smooth surfaces, though, so you will rely on your strength to increase the cardio. That is my experience. And I am in the desert, so we had to run through sand for the whole race.

Omg, did you do the AZ Sprint last month?! BRUTAL.
  • esjones12
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Comments regarding time to complete - the venue DRASTICALLY impacts the time spend on course, for any athlete. Even year to year the venue average time can change by 30-60min. Weather, elevation, obstacle placement, and start time can all drastically effect your time on the course (outside of your physical condition and how your body holds up that day). For example you have the PA Sprint which is on a massive ski resort and can take around the same time as the OH Beast (4hrs). The VT Beast average last year I believe was around 8 hours.

Every race will feel as difficult as how hard you push yourself. From first-time-out-of-shape racers to elite athletes - every person can be equally challenged as it is based on how hard you push yourself from start to finish. The key is to know your body's limits and listen to them. If you don't that is how you get hurt.

For instance....I did the VA Super last year and pushed myself from start to finish like I was being chased by a pack of wolves. The race destroyed my body, I barely made it over the fire at the end. And I'd never smiled so big when I crossed the finish line (until OCR World Championships in October). A month later I did the VT Beast with a team at a much slower pace, but the course was arguably harder - more elevation and longer distance. Race barely phased me. I had SO much energy afterwards it was sad.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Anyone who says that the Spartan Sprints are "super easy" has no idea what he's talking about. Good luck with the Hercules Hoist and the Atlas Carry, folks.

Do "people with no fitness level at all" try these things? Sure, but that doesn't mean they should. Opinions differ on this matter, but I would strongly advise against trying this if you're not already in decent shape -- especially if you want to do it honestly, i.e. not cheating on burpees. If you're not properly conditioned, then the potential for injury can be significant.

Even if you're not injured, you'll probably be in for a lot of suffering if you're out of shape. Some people treat this as a bucket list item, but I advise against it. Others, I suspect, treat this as a way to get some exercise. It is, but if you're poorly conditioned, then there are better ways to do so.

I always remind people that it's the journey that matters, not just crossing the finish line. I'm not just talking about the 3-5 miles that the Spartan Sprint entails. I'm talking all the preparation for this race. Focus on the training rather than the race itself. You'll thank yourself later.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Note: never do one in late June in Utah. They ran out of water. People were getting ridiculous Charlie horses and taking shots of table salt. I found myself sitting in the dirt massaging a muscle cramp out of my buddy's calf. It was crazy!

Hydration packs are your friend. Carry one if you're tackling a Spartan Beast in hot weather.
  • ew_david
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Omg, did you do the AZ Sprint last month?! BRUTAL.

I did! Those hills KILLED. Worse than almost any of the obstacles.

Gah, after a while I was convinced they WERE obstacles. The heat, those hills...I wasn't sure I was gonna make it, but I did.
  • esjones12
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You guys should come do the PA races in July ;) Now THOSE are hills.

But honestly just about every venue has something that makes it uniquely challenging. I almost came out to do AZ, thankfully my plans changed as medical issues would have resulted in a lost plane ticket. Whomp whomp. My finances keep me mostly in the north east - which has plenty of races thankfully. Headed down to Charlotte in a few weeks though. Pumped even though my fitness level has dropped a good bit due to mentioned medical conditions (not related in any way to training or racing).

Oh I did do a Tough Mudder in AZ though back in 2014! It was flat....but fun.