Can't stop eating something when I wake up during the night

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Water as many have said is the best solutions

I find a cup of coffee will usually take care of my cravings. It's not the caffeine because I drink 1/2 caff and decaff but it occupies my hands and mouth and takes me a while to fix it and drink it. By the time I am finished I have forgotten about those cravings.
  • JustF___ingDoIt
    JustF___ingDoIt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So similar to me, used to be in great shape. Last few years it's all gone tits up. Like you I do really well then blow it, with barely any resistance. I do think habit plays a big part (for me anyway)

So this time, I have prepared myself to really dig deep and make myself stick to it (hence the name) I can't promise I will succeed every day, but I really, truly aim to work harder than I have been at it. Try the water, even when you don't want to. In a few weeks you'll be hopefully craving water when you wake :)

Good luck!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with late night snacking. You could save a few calories to eat right before bed. This has been very helpful for me. I have also discovered that, while it's not my preference, I am capable of sleeping while hungry. Although I find that I wake up want to eat everything in site.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am setting a glass of water out of my kitchen counter for tonight :)
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Everyone is so awesome. So many tips, help and what works for them. I thought I could handle a gourmet loaf of artesian bread in the house thought I was stronger than I really am. Not a chance I ate three quarters of the loaf and decided to give the rest to the wild turkeys I realize there are certain triggers that we just need to keep out of the house. I still question why I have no freedom around certain foods.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I never eat at night. I love sleeping too much. I tell myself the night is for sleep. If I wake up to go to the bathroom, I grab a glass of water. I use a small flashlight and have a nightlite on. I don't want to be fully awake so I can fall back to sleep as soon as possible. I tell myself I have all day to eat.
  • Laura03211
    Laura03211 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do that a lot. Maybe it's boredom, but I eat so much when I'm usually not that hungry. I do know that my protein intake is on the low side and my sugar and fat intake is on the high side. In the past, when I was doing a good balance with my diet, it took me at least a week to get over craving certain foods. I'm also trying to drink water, but it doesn't always help.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Eating at night has always been my biggest challenge. I learned that part of the problem was that I did not eat enough calories earlier in the day, and then I would binge. Besides scheduling my meals better and eating more protein, I also use an all-natural appetite suppressant in the evenings which has really made a big difference for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Everyone is so awesome. So many tips, help and what works for them. I thought I could handle a gourmet loaf of artesian bread in the house thought I was stronger than I really am. Not a chance I ate three quarters of the loaf and decided to give the rest to the wild turkeys I realize there are certain triggers that we just need to keep out of the house. I still question why I have no freedom around certain foods.

I really takes time and practice. I couldn't have ice cream in my house for the longest time, because I would eat the whole tub. It's taken about two years, and I started by bringing in the small single serving containers (I would end up eating five of them). I now have several flavors of it in my freezer and have a single portion, less if I don't have enough calories left for the day. I just knew that I didn't want to live the rest of my life without, so I kept practicing bringing it in, but not keeping it in the house, until at some point the switch flipped. I still have days when I want to eat the whole tub, but it doesn't happen nearly as often. You can figure it out. Time, practice, patience, and most importantly, forgiveness. Do NOT beat yourself up. It is counterproductive.
  • JustF___ingDoIt
    JustF___ingDoIt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I really takes time and practice. I couldn't have ice cream in my house for the longest time, because I would eat the whole tub. It's taken about two years, and I started by bringing in the small single serving containers (I would end up eating five of them). I now have several flavors of it in my freezer and have a single portion, less if I don't have enough calories left for the day. I just knew that I didn't want to live the rest of my life without, so I kept practicing bringing it in, but not keeping it in the house, until at some point the switch flipped. I still have days when I want to eat the whole tub, but it doesn't happen nearly as often. You can figure it out. Time, practice, patience, and most importantly, forgiveness. Do NOT beat yourself up. It is counterproductive.

Great reply :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Are you setting overall appropriate goals, and not trying to be too aggressive?

Depending on how much you have to lose, your goal should be anywhere from 0.5 lb/week or less, to 2 lb/week, but don't just do the mistake almost everyone does and go with "faster is better". It's better to have an easier target that you hit reliably versus a great goal that you often miss. I once had a laughably low goal of 1300 per day (for a 320 lb. man) and it was hell. Eating 1800/2200 on my rest/workout days has been extremely successful. The funny thing is that upping my calorie goal actually reduced my average calorie intake, just because now I actually meet my goal and don't binge on anything.

I'd definitely start tracking your protein and ensuring you get enough - it's very satisfying, and if you don't eat your minimum protein needs, your body has to scavenge muscle tissue for amino acids, which has many negative effects on your health. As a vegetarian, you'll need to work harder on some aspects of nutrition compared to an omnivore - complete protein is important, as is vitamin B12, both things that are commonly deficient in a vegetarian or vegan diet.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Eating at night has always been my biggest challenge. I learned that part of the problem was that I did not eat enough calories earlier in the day, and then I would binge. Besides scheduling my meals better and eating more protein, I also use an all-natural appetite suppressant in the evenings which has really made a big difference for me.

Completely agree. BTW, what appetite suppressant are you using? I have been using Liporidex PM after dinner and it really helps me out a lot-just curious what other good ones are out there that you can take at night.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Thanks everyone always a tremendous amount of very valuable advice! . I have 37 pounds to lose and many days it seems totally impossible. Everyone here is awesome! Tons of great insight and advice. Need to keep protein levels up for sure.
    Now I don't feel so guilty knowing others can eat an entire Pint or a tub of ice cream or a whole box of cookies and one setting!!! :-). Feel free to add me. :-)
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Thanks everyone always a tremendous amount of very valuable advice! . I have 37 pounds to lose and many days it seems totally impossible. Everyone here is awesome! Tons of great insight and advice. Need to keep protein levels up for sure.
    Now I don't feel so guilty knowing others can eat an entire Pint or a tub of ice cream or a whole box of cookies and one setting!!! :-). Feel free to add me. :-)

The best thing I ever did was to let go of the feelings of guilt and shame around food. It leads nowhere good.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Exactly I was doing so great and then I ate an entire a cinnamon roll and I feel remorse and feel guilty.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I used to munch at night too. Personally, I am pretty certain it was emotional eating. I would be working stuff out in my head, wake up and want to munch. I was not even hungry - it was an emotional outlet.

Thankfully, that has gone away as I have a much less stressful job now. Yay. You could try having a frozen yogurt or something. Or a low cal cookie. Like one other poster said, just leave some 'room' in your daily calories for it and don't worry about it.

The other thing is that with MFP (Day 78 today) I find I don't freak out as much with the little things. I rarely eat over 1200 cals and try to only eat half my exercise calories back but when I do slip a little I really, clearly, understand that it is just another day. Even when I hit a plateau - like this week - I just take it day by day as I know this will work this time. It is such a great place to be now. You will get there, too.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Emotional eating is challenging. I have found Geneen Roth is interesting as an author and she approaches emotional eating from a perspective I hadn't considered. It might be worth looking at some of her books.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Yes that's exactly what happens I think I have so many things going on and thinking about when I go to bed I just really can't sleep and I feel that eating could help. I usually eat a banana or drink a glass of orange juice or grab a piece of cheese. Will definitely get the book. For many of us who struggle with food, dealing with setbacks can be very difficult and challenging it's either all or nothing.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Yes that's exactly what happens I think I have so many things going on and thinking about when I go to bed I just really can't sleep and I feel that eating could help. I usually eat a banana or drink a glass of orange juice or grab a piece of cheese. Will definitely get the book. For many of us who struggle with food, dealing with setbacks can be very difficult and challenging it's either all or nothing.

This all sounds so familiar. You can do it. Just take small steps and be patient with yourself.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss. Yes. Small steps.