What happens to your body if you don't rest after lifting heavy?

Options
48 hours seem like a long time to wait. I like the split idea because I need to do something everyday, even if it's active recovery. But 48 hours hits me right in my motivation. I though if I knew the why's of it I could understand enough to accept why I need to take a break, instead of just doing it anyway and finding out the hard way. I don't want to hurt myself.
I'm really trying to get into a good groove with the best info. I can. There are so many routines and programs, I really want to lift heavy and do complexes. So that is where I am now. I know I've asked questions a lot lately and everyone has been super great with their advise and experience. I'm really just trying to figure it out for myself. I appreciate all help. :)

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    That's why I split the muscle groups up, allowing allowing for a rest day once a week, that allows muscle groups to repair 2 days ahead of the next session.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Day 1. Back and shoulders
    Day 2 arms and chest
    Day 3 legs
    Day 4 rest
    Day 5 back and shoulders
    Day 6 arms and chest
    Day 7 legs

I work abs also every day except rest day
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    So if they don't repair your spinning you wheels, hurting yourself or both? Other?
  • robs_ready
    Options
    I allow 3 days between each group (sorry my first post says 2 it's a mispel)

This is more than adequate time for repair as long as adequate protein is consumed
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    So why abs everyday and not everything every day? (Looks like a good rotation.)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What happens if you don't give time for repair?
  • warrengking
    warrengking Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you need to rest to give your muscles time to repair and grow. if you don't rest adequately, you can actually get muscle wasting/atrophy, i.e., your muscles will get smaller. if you must hit the gym almost every day, then do a 5 day 'bro split' - basically a body-building split where you hit a different body part every day, then rest on Saturday and Sunday.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I certainly don't want to loose any muscle!. Bro splits are something I can get on board with then. Thank you very much!
  • robs_ready
    Options

Your muscles will shrink, and your efforts will be wasted.

I do ab work outs to burn fat, it's the last area on my body with fat content
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

You've answered your own question.

The muscle and tissue damage that you cause while training doesn't get the opportunity to repair, so if you continue to damage it without repair opportunities you'll end up injuring yourself, as well as not making the gains that you want to make.

fwiw there is little point in doing abs specifically, notwithstanding the point that spot reduction doesn't work you should get enough core strength and stability from compound lifts that you shouldn't need to do it.

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You could just do a PPL (Push, Pull, Legs) routine 6 days a week, and spend the last day doing some active recovery stuff.

Also, read http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/09/27/fatigue-explained/ if you're interested in learning about training-induced fatigue.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    You guys have never heard of two-a-days?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You only grow while you rest! Do so. :)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    You could just do a PPL (Push, Pull, Legs) routine 6 days a week, and spend the last day doing some active recovery stuff.

Also, read http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/09/27/fatigue-explained/ if you're interested in learning about training-induced fatigue.

Thanks for the link! That preemptively answered a lot of other questions as well. Great read.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Accumulated fatigue happenes and you hurt yourself. Hitting a muscle 2 times a week is best if you don't want to do a full body routine and want to be in the gym more. Something like a bro split 6 times a week or PPL 6 times or Up/Low 4 times a week.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I am on a heavy lifting program, and my workouts are brutal. Sometimes i'm sore, sometimes not. I rest 3-4 days after a workout to let my muscles fully recover and heal along with a proper nutrition so that i'm totally fresh for my next workout and can get the most out of it. If i wasn't fully recovered, i'd be weaker and my workouts would be less effective.
    mon and fri - Lower body
    Wed and Sat - Upper body.

I do abs every workout, i think its because abs are a different type of muscle fiber that can be worked out daily, but
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My own personal experience. When I'm training all three main lifts hard, I can train hard 5-6 days a week for 7-8 weeks before accumulating enough fatigue to need a deload. Since I've moved onto being a bencher with low loads on squats and deads, I can make it 12-14 weeks before needing a deload.

My strength gains are coming nicely. And unless you are incredibly good at self regulation, and can back down and rest as needed (or have a coach who will willingly tell you to deload whenever you need it), sticking with bro splits or full body three times a week is probably better.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    So if they don't repair your spinning you wheels, hurting yourself or both? Other?

Both.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

Your muscles will shrink, and your efforts will be wasted.

I do ab work outs to burn fat, it's the last area on my body with fat content

Ab workouts burn very few calories and they do nothing to target the fat over your abdominals. Fat is inert, it can't be exercised, and spot reduction isn't possible. You may be building a strong muscle base beneath the fat, but the ab workouts aren't burning that many calories and they're doing nothing for the fat over them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ Not saying that ab workouts aren't worth doing because they certainly are. But not for purposes of fat burning or spot reduction. It's good to have a strong core and once the fat is burned off (via caloric deficit), you'll have solid abs beneath.