To the LA fitness sales person

Options
Firstly, I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm sure LA fitness has great employees somewhere, but I have to vent about my "fitness assessment" at LA Fitness.
I've been a member of a small Lady of America gym since last summer, however it closed on Jan 1 and had to find something else. LA fitness is the closest to me and their feed reasonable so I signed up there. They immediately scheduled me for a fitness assessment. I met with a guy, who made me do some lunges, step with knee up, squats and some abs, while he kept repeating "imagine doung this every time you come to the gym". Then he gave the prices for personal trainers. I told him I can't afford a pt at this moment, but I also asked if I can maybe have someone just once a month to monitor my form. Answer was no, has to be 4/m and 6 months contract. He kept pushing "give me your price, etc, what's your plan b, you are losing lean mass, you are not seeing progress (I mean, I told him I've lost 25 lbs qlready and to me that IS progress), to which I politely said I have no means to afford it at this time. He got really nasty at that pont and said "so you want to die from high cholesterol?" (I told him earlier that it runs in my family). I mean come on! I know you make a commission out if selling PT sessions, but there must be a better way to sell them. Work on your sales technique.
That's all, just venting.

Replies

• Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You could also complain to LA Fitness about this employee, it would probably help more if they actually will have a talk with this guy. You will see this guy in gym later as well and it is still going to annoy you later when you remember what he said.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    find a different gym.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm sure LA fitness has great employees somewhere, but I have to vent about my "fitness assessment" at LA Fitness.
    I've been a member of a small Lady of America gym since last summer, however it closed on Jan 1 and had to find something else. LA fitness is the closest to me and their feed reasonable so I signed up there. They immediately scheduled me for a fitness assessment. I met with a guy, who made me do some lunges, step with knee up, squats and some abs, while he kept repeating "imagine doung this every time you come to the gym". Then he gave the prices for personal trainers. I told him I can't afford a pt at this moment, but I also asked if I can maybe have someone just once a month to monitor my form. Answer was no, has to be 4/m and 6 months contract. He kept pushing "give me your price, etc, what's your plan b, you are losing lean mass, you are not seeing progress (I mean, I told him I've lost 25 lbs qlready and to me that IS progress), to which I politely said I have no means to afford it at this time. He got really nasty at that pont and said "so you want to die from high cholesterol?" (I told him earlier that it runs in my family). I mean come on! I know you make a commission out if selling PT sessions, but there must be a better way to sell them. Work on your sales technique.
    That's all, just venting.

Hi

I can sort of relate to you on this topic as well. I've been a member of my gym for over a year now. Enjoyed going there because of its motto quote no judgements. And for the most part the staff were ok but with the new year changes have been made. There are no more female staff and it's starting to fill with big bulky male staff. I'm sure the personal trainers are qualified. But I'm the kind of woman who will not feel comfortable with a male personal trainer. When I would walk into the gym there would be all of the male personal trainers sitting around a few tables just waiting to grab somebody I definitely did not like that tatic either it reminded me of vultures. I unfortunately will one of those people that were caught for my free personal assessment . I too did some lunges and squats and used weight . And the guy told me that he could get me to where I need to get to with an hour a week at $85 an hour . I said I cannot afford that then he says well how about twice month I said I'm sorry unfortunately that is not within my budget. So I just made it my point to stay away from male personal trainers. I definitely recommend lodging a complaint to either the owner of the gym is it is a privately owned gym or contact the corporate office. Nobody should say those type of things to make you feel horrible and you're trying to put your health and life in order just because he isn't making a dime off of you.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    find a different gym.

Theyve all become like this now. When I joined Xsport years ago they forced me to do the same thing she described. I knew it was just a gimmick to sell personal training walking in though. They pull out the scale, calipers, and make you do exercises only professional athletes should consider to try and shame you into buying.

The best thing you can learn to do with salesmen trying to upsell is just stop talking to them. Say "well, were done here... Bye". If you need them to do something before you can end the conversation the best thing to do is threaten to kill the original sale. E.g. threaten to not buy a car because of a pushy finance guy. Or in this case.... Maybe try saying " oh my god, you're right... I see pt is very important, I should cancel my membership and use my money for pt...". Go to the manager and tell them the pt convinced you spending money at their gym is a waste ;) (assuming your contract allows a certain trial period). Telling a manager the PT is a jerk likely won't work as they are likely being told to do that. But maybe make them fear the hard tactics might be a money loser and things might change...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I doubt if it will do any good to complain to management, because at LA Fitness, that's exactly what management expects these guys to do. I have heard too many identical stories from all over the country to attribute this to a "bad apple". This is is bad company with a bad culture.

Unfortunately that's the flip side of the "reasonable dues". Those dues don't cover the cost of the business, but they have to be competitive with the rest of the market. So they get you in and then twist your arm to lock you into a long term training package. It's crap for you the member and its crap for the trainer as well.

I'm just happy I'm old enough that if they ever tried that crap where I work (and they could any day), I could probably afford to them to go stuff it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I hate people who won't take no for an answer. I realize it is that guy's job to sell but think "So you want to die from high cholesterol?" was over the line. Also, I didn't get the hard sell like that when I joined an LA Fitness back when I lived in Florida.

Last year I went into a Toyota dealership intending to buy a Camry, but the sales staff were so obnoxiously pushy I went with a Honda Accord as they were much more low key at the Honda dealership.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I hear you. When the gym I loved was bought by Inshape, the experienced sport trainers were fired and a bunch of young fit teenager -20's were brought in who had no idea how to prevent injuries or how to inspire people to work out. It was all about making a buck. I think they all studied Biggest Loser because there was a lot of yelling and fat shaming. Then they wondered why nobody was signing up to for personal training. The PT's would sit in the office glaring at people working out on their own.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my LA Fitness contract the second day after that shaming nonsense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    find a different gym.

Theyve all become like this now. When I joined Xsport years ago they forced me to do the same thing she described. I knew it was just a gimmick to sell personal training walking in though. They pull out the scale, calipers, and make you do exercises only professional athletes should consider to try and shame you into buying.

The best thing you can learn to do with salesmen trying to upsell is just stop talking to them. Say "well, were done here... Bye". If you need them to do something before you can end the conversation the best thing to do is threaten to kill the original sale. E.g. threaten to not buy a car because of a pushy finance guy. Or in this case.... Maybe try saying " oh my god, you're right... I see pt is very important, I should cancel my membership and use my money for pt...". Go to the manager and tell them the pt convinced you spending money at their gym is a waste ;) (assuming your contract allows a certain trial period). Telling a manager the PT is a jerk likely won't work as they are likely being told to do that. But maybe make them fear the hard tactics might be a money loser and things might change...

There are tons of gyms that are not like this...just sayin'
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately, this seems to be standard sales procedure for many large gym chains. I had my awful experiences with PTs trying to peddle sessions and woo (and typically getting snarky when I politely declined) at GoodLife. So, when I switched to LA Fitness for a better class schedule and pool access, I flat-out refused to schedule a "free fitness assessment". I knew exactly what it would entail and while the person who called me to set it up seemed a bit surprised that I wasn't interested in the least, he had no choice, but to take "Thanks, but no thanks!" for an answer.

I will say your trainer crossed the line and then some, though. I would've torn him a new one, then spoken to management about how he's not doing them any favors with his particular brand of *kitten*.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I will say your trainer crossed the line and then some, though. I would've torn him a new one, then spoken to management about how he's not doing them any favors with his particular brand of *kitten*.

In my experience, the sales technique comes from the front office, not from the PTs themselves. Crossing the line for a PT would be refusing to play along with management's game (and would get him/her fired). I belong to Lifetime Fitness. Last I checked (a couple of years ago) the PTs are given sales quotas, and their monthly sales results are posted in the PT manager's office. Mine had them on a whiteboard and they'd go over it in their team meetings. I know of a couple of PTs who eventually found positions elsewhere because they didn't like the constant pressure to sell sell and then upsell. I think the products in the cafe/store are also something they're told to push -- or they get a commission on them.

It's not uncommon to be using the fitness equipment then have a PT come by to say hi and ask how you're doing. Translation: "I wonder if I can sell something to this guy". Whether all this is a local management thing or something coming down from the very top, I don't know, but most of these PTs are just trying to make a living and keep their jobs.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Any high pressure or manipulation is an immediate run away. Good things sell themselves with no pressure. Our local gym the owner gives training as part of the $20 montly membership.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    In my experience, the sales technique comes from the front office, not from the PTs themselves. Crossing the line for a PT would be refusing to play along with management's game (and would get him/her fired). I belong to Lifetime Fitness. Last I checked (a couple of years ago) the PTs are given sales quotas, and their monthly sales results are posted in the PT manager's office. Mine had them on a whiteboard and they'd go over it in their team meetings. I know of a couple of PTs who eventually found positions elsewhere because they didn't like the constant pressure to sell sell and then upsell. I think the products in the cafe/store are also something they're told to push -- or they get a commission on them.

It's not uncommon to be using the fitness equipment then have a PT come by to say hi and ask how you're doing. Translation: "I wonder if I can sell something to this guy". Whether all this is a local management thing or something coming down from the very top, I don't know, but most of these PTs are just trying to make a living and keep their jobs.
    While sales quotas are absolutely problematic, it was the PT himself who chose to ask the customer something so callous in an attempt to meet his quota. At the end of the day, he chose his words and they were really, really, really inappropriate. Correct me if I'm wrong and "Do you want to die from high cholesterol?" is in the LA Fitness Sales Handbook or whatever, though.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    This guy crossed the line when he said " so you want to die from...."

Its very true that they are usually pushy because they have a quota to make but that was still a very poor choice of words on his part .

From now on I would just stay away from this guy and go about your business. Proper form is important though. I would study up on it and watch plenty of videos showing proper form since you are unable to use a trainer right now.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Aw, well that's a terrible experience and I'm sorry you had to deal with it. He's just trying to make a buck and you stood your ground. That's all you can do.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    find a different gym.

I agree.... and to the person that said they are 'all like this'. I disagree, I go to the Y and have been to all the locations, never had pressure like that. Was a member at 2 other gyms before this Y was built and got free assessment and trainers were available if you wanted advice but there was no pressure. If you chose to hire one you'd sit down with one and write down your goals and see what they could work on with you.

Nah, all gyms are not the pushy sales type, shop around.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    So glad I work out at home! No fancy equipment, but no attitude, either!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have my headphones in before I get out of the car, and I don't remove them till my workout is over and I'm back in my car. The horde of pt babies inside the door of planet fitness must be able to read my need to be left alone, I've yet to be approached.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Low blow, LA Fitness dude. Low blow.

25 pounds is KILLER progress. Great job so far! You CAN do this!

When I turned 32ish or so, I had my first blood test that came back with high levels of bad cholesterol. I was borderline, but managed to get out of the appointment without needing a prescription. Immediately, I adopted the mantra of eating at least 2 pounds of raw vegetables a day. I got my food scale out every morning and packed a massive tupperware full of whatever cheap veggies and fruits I could find at the store. I would get creative... like a little Franks red hot sauce on cauliflower was just enough to trick my body into thinking I just had the hot wings from the corner bar that I wanted. Some nut butter on celery was enough fat and crunch to satisfy other snacky time cravings. Within 3 months, my levels were pretty darn close to stellar.

Just keep moving and keep shoving good things in your face. You don't need that pompous prick. YOU are the warrior here!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good for you for standing your ground. I had a similar experience a few years ago at a chain gym when the trainer, after I explicitly told him that despite my being fairly small I was very weak, pushed me through personal training to the point of not being able to walk the next day and made me feel like all people my age should be able to handle this with ease.

I'm at a gym now that has higher membership fees, but doesn't push personal training the same way. They definitely encourage it because they make money, but I've been able to ask them for tips (5 minute form questions) or equipment questions without a fuss or having to pay them. It has motivated me to invest during my training months into a few sessions here and there to get me on a good training plan - and they have always appropriately assessed my level and trained me so that I could continue independently.

Just know you're not alone in the way you were approached and it's unfortunate but common. Good luck in your journey and congrats on your success so far!