What are polysaturated and monosaturated fats?

simonnatyu
simonnatyu Posts: 13 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
When I go to check my nutrition, it says you need 0g of those and everyday I get 2 or 3. I'm just wondering what it is and if 2 or 3g of them is bad.

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Although the individual goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat are undefined and should be labeled as not applicable (N/A), the sum of the goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat is defined and equals the goal of Total Fat minus the goal of Saturated Fat, given the goal of Trans Fat is zero.

Goal (Poly + Mono + Trans + Saturated) = Goal (Total Fat)
    ...rearranging...
    Goal (Poly + Mono) = Goal (Total Fat - Saturated - Trans)
    ...since Goal (Trans) = 0
    Goal (Poly + Mono) = Goal (Total Fat - Saturated)

Just plug your daily goals for Total Fat and Saturated into the above equation to find your daily goal of Poly Fat plus Mono Fat.

Please see this post for additional information on the reporting of the issue with MFP incorrectly changing the goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat from N/A to zero (0). This issue seems to be fixed on the iOS app, but it still is an issue on the Web version and the Android app.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10163604/poly-monounsaturated-fats#latest

@Alex Any updates on resolving this known issue?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    CyberTone wrote: »
    @Alex Any updates on resolving this known issue?

I don't have an update but will enquire - thank you for making sure it stays on the radar and providing the above explanation for folks.
  • sonnyboypro
    sonnyboypro Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    the "healthy fats".

saturated and trans fats are considered unhealthy (although saturated fat is not as bad as previously thought and natural trans fats found in animal products are perfectly healthy).

monounsaturated fats are often praised for excellent heart health (ie better cholesterol levels and artery/vein health etc) and are found in popular health foods like nuts, olive oil, avocados and even beef...

polyunsaturated fats are considered healthy however I think you do need to avoid huge sources of polyunsaturated fats like the vegetable oils...

in a nutshell

monounsaturated fats = good for you

saturated fats = neutral. dont limit but at the same time dont go crazy

polyunsaturated fats = limit. too much could be bad.

artifical trans fat (hydrogenated oils found in many processed foods)= bad. avoid like the plague.
    natural trans fat (meat,dairy etc) = good
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    the "healthy fats".

saturated and trans fats are considered unhealthy (although saturated fat is not as bad as previously thought and natural trans fats found in animal products are perfectly healthy).

monounsaturated fats are often praised for excellent heart health (ie better cholesterol levels and artery/vein health etc) and are found in popular health foods like nuts, olive oil, avocados and even beef...

polyunsaturated fats are considered healthy however I think you do need to avoid huge sources of polyunsaturated fats like the vegetable oils...

in a nutshell

monounsaturated fats = good for you

saturated fats = neutral. dont limit but at the same time dont go crazy

polyunsaturated fats = limit. too much could be bad.

artifical trans fat (hydrogenated oils found in many processed foods)= bad. avoid like the plague.
    natural trans fat (meat,dairy etc) = good

Given that the only essential fatty acids are in polyunsaturated fats, I'm not sure where you're getting "limit, too much could be bad" from.
    I try to get my fat from a variety of sources, plant and animal.