Can't lose my first pound.

Options
Please help, I have been in my calorie intake goal, exercising and averaging over 10,000 steps a day. I haven't lost a pound, but I did gain weight, 2 lbs.

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose your first pound?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Give it time.
  • tugomer
    tugomer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie intake goal?
  • barbiehanrahan8
    barbiehanrahan8 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I find it best if yu don't eat after 6 because by 6 your sitting and not really doing much :) hope I helped a little
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I find it best if yu don't eat after 6 because by 6 your sitting and not really doing much :) hope I helped a little

Meal timing is totally irrelevant to weight loss.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    How long have you been limiting your calories for and to how many?
    What weight and height are you?
    How active are you in daily life, exercise excluded?
    I see your female, is it near totm?
    Are you eating back exercise calories?
    Are you weighing your food?
    How are you choosing the entries in the database?

• howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The secret to mfp

1. Set activity to sedentary and log exercise or set correct activity and ignore exercise.... Don't set a high activity level and log exercise
    2. Exercise calories tend to be overly optimistic... If your weight doesn't budge for a long time.... Reduce the estimates
    3. A food scale. Most people have no idea what a proper serving is. Grab your cereal... Pour yourself what you think is two servings. Next... Grab a food scale and measure it (usually 28g to the serving). That will give you an idea how far off you are. My guess is you'll pour 3 maybe 4 instead.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options

How do you know if someone is just sitting after 6? What if she's a nuclear engineer?
  • barbiehanrahan8
    Options

That's your opinion but I don't think so !
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options

Just because you don't "think" so, science trumps all.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat at night, after 6 pm, well after 6 pm and I have lost over 60 lbs. Are you weighing all your food and liquids? Best of luck to you.
  • barbiehanrahan8
    Options

Well I have lost over 2 stone so it Works for me !
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I eat the majority of my calories after 6 pm AND I'm lazy at night. Still lost 35 pounds.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options

No, a calorie deficit is what works. It has nothing to do with time you eat.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

that make no difference.

OP, how long have you been trying? you are most likely eating more than you think you are
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Science Barbie... Just because it works doesn't mean the alternative wouldn't work! You just haven't tested it even on yourself
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

It is a diet myth unfortunately. Think about it logically. Your body even if it was in a coma and not moving burns a lot of calories a day. That is why we need to tube or tpn feed people who are not mobile.

The OP even if she was sitting down 24/7 would still need a set amount of calories a day. Let's say 1400. So the OP eats those 1400 calories before 6PM and nothing afterwards. Great, she will stay the same weight.
    Or she chooses to eat those 1400 calories in a few hours at night. Great, she will still stay the same weight.
    Now say the OP eats only 1300 at any time she likes during the 24 hours. That means 100 calories worth will come from her bodies stored calories, ie fat. Over 35 days that would mean the OP would lose 1lb no matter what time of day she eats.

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Science (research) has shown that meal timing itself has very little impact on weight loss. For some people, it helps create a calorie deficit, but it isn't necessary if calories are accounted for.

Glad it's working for you, keep on going with that! (no one said that you have to eat after 6). Just know that it isn't a magic bullet -- if you eat 500 calories more than you use but eat it all before 6 pm, you'll still be gaining weight.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    OP, we could use some more information: how long you've been doing this, height, weight, age, open your diary, etc. It may just be a case of needing to give it more time, or there may be something that could use some tweaking, but we can't tell yet. :wink: