Help!!! I'm going to suffer

Options
Iv been running since the summer a few times a week.. I started at 2.5k and am working my way up I generally stick to around 5k now and every Sunday kick it up to 10/11k ... my friends husband just convinced me to sign up for a half marathon it's in 9 weeks.. I think Iv bitten off more then I can chew as I only do interval training atm.. what can I do to help prepare myself in a short period of time? Atm I'm in the mind set of omg I'm going to die

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Start increasing your weekly miles
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would look for a training plan. Hal Higdon's are 12 weeks but you may be able to start a few weeks in, depending on your ability.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    start a 1/2 marathon training program. just google training programs for 1/2 marathons and follow the program.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I was scared to death of my first half and almost dropped out. I'm glad I didn't. It was a terrific experience and went so much better than I thought it would. I followed a training plan closely and in so doing, kept myself injury free. Another good set of training plans comes from coach Jenny Hadfield: www.jennyhadfield.com
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would look for a training plan. Hal Higdon's are 12 weeks but you may be able to start a few weeks in, depending on your ability.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide
    Preach! It sounds like you've got enough running under your belt that you could pick up one of these plans at week 3-4. Especially if this is your first half, I suspect you'll find the structure somewhat comforting. Resist the urge to a) run all the time, as fast as you can or b) panic, and you should have plenty of time to prepare.

If you haven't done any road races previously, you should consider doing at least a couple if only to get used to race-day atmosphere, and the psychological impact of making you want to run like hell as soon as the race starts. The Higdon plans include races in the schedule, so that's another argument in favor. For your first half, don't get worked up about your time. Get from A to B, and enjoy the powerful feeling of knowing you just ran (walked? run-walked? whatever!) 13.1 [expletive deleted] miles! ... Because 13.2 would be crazy.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Plan on doing lot of walking, and buy very good comfortable shoes! ;)