Losing x amount of lbs by x amount of time, can it be done? Advise

Options
Hi. So this is my question. I want to lose 20 lbs by March. The reason why is my husband is away at basic training, while he loves me for me I want to surprise him with a new me. I am wondering if this goal can be done in such a short time? I work out 5 days a week and I eat really healthy. I have only been doing this for a week and only have lost 1 lbs. if any one has any advice I am open to it.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    without killing yourself, probably not. If you only have 20 to lose, I've been told they are harder to lose. a pound a week is pretty lofty even, and even if you achieve that, well thats 8-12 pounds (depending on if you are talking about the beginning or end of march) but, idk, its a leap year so maybe?

weigh your feed, set reasonable goals, be happy that you are making positive choices and progress. whatever the amount is.

lol, i was tempted to correct feed to food, but it made me laugh, so decided to keep it. lol
  • f4rz
    f4rz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have a goal of losing weight by my birthday in March (overall I want to lose 30lbs). However 1-2lbs is a safe amount to lose per week, any more and I think long term it will not be sustainable.

I read you need to burn 3,500 calories (over the amount of calories you intake) to lose 1 lbs. Say you consume 1,500 calories a day, you will need to burn 2,500 to be able to lose 2lbs.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I find weight loss is not linear and that setting goals like that is self defeating. But if you keep tracking and working out you will see an improved fitter body!
  • veneetacortez
    veneetacortez Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. That helps alot
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you eat right and train, by March you can definitely improve yourself in a way that will make a huge impact and surprise your husband. Focus on that instead whether of it's 20 or 15 pounds.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    without killing yourself, probably not. If you only have 20 to lose, I've been told they are harder to lose. a pound a week is pretty lofty even, and even if you achieve that, well thats 8-12 pounds (depending on if you are talking about the beginning or end of march) but, idk, its a leap year so maybe?

weigh your feed, set reasonable goals, be happy that you are making positive choices and progress. whatever the amount is.

lol, i was tempted to correct feed to food, but it made me laugh, so decided to keep it. lol

Agreed.

A pound a week may be safe but that doesn't mean it will necessarily happen. The problem with time based weight loss goals is that you can be 100% on point calorie-wise but still not see a scale loss due to a variety of factors (e.g., hormonal fluctuations that happen during your menstrual cycle.)
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    sus49 wrote: »
    I find weight loss is not linear and that setting goals like that is self defeating. But if you keep tracking and working out you will see an improved fitter body!

I agree. Even if you lose, say, 10 pounds, the added exercise (strength training is great too) will give you a nice shape. Hubby will notice :)
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good reason, but 20 pounds by March would be really tough. Starting is good, but remember you might actually gain muscle at first, depending on exercise routine...so gain muscle; lose fat...might see results before the scale sees them. Just keep with it, and get out and exercise with hubby when he is back.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Good reason, but 20 pounds by March would be really tough. Starting is good, but remember you might actually gain muscle at first, depending on exercise routine...so gain muscle; lose fat...might see results before the scale sees them. Just keep with it, and get out and exercise with hubby when he is back.

Outside of possible noob gains, one doesn't gain muscle in a deficit.

You can preserve and strengthen existing muscle, but not really gain it.

Scale weight may not go down due to water retention for muscle repair.

~Lyssa
  • veneetacortez
    veneetacortez Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you eat right and train, by March you can definitely improve yourself in a way that will make a huge impact and surprise your husband. Focus on that instead whether of it's 20 or 15 pounds.

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better. That's what I'm really looking for is a big notice.