Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    You cheat days are sad. Seriously y'all need to live a little

Different strokes. I have fun fitting into my size 0 dresses instead of eating whatever I want.

I find I can be my ideal size and eat whatever I want by eating whatever I want within my calorie allowance

That's exactly how I do my cheat days, which is what the OP calls sad. The rest of time I aim for optimal nutrition within my calorie allowance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Different strokes. I have fun fitting into my size 0 dresses instead of eating whatever I want.

I find I can be my ideal size and eat whatever I want by eating whatever I want within my calorie allowance

Which is how I do my cheat days. The rest of time I aim for optimal nutrition within my calorie allowance.

Optimal nutrition? Surely it's easier to get your macros and micro nutrients if your calorie allowance is larger, I don't see the point in the differentiation? Have I missed something?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I normally have one indulgent meal every now and then, but I alter it so it won't "break the bank" so to speak. For example if I want a cheeseburger, I eat a cheeseburger, but I make better choices about the burger. Like I get no mayo and only eat half my fries. That way if I do go over it's not like 1,000 calories over my goal for the day. I don't do whole cheat days; I think that's an easy way to back slide into old habits.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Which is how I do my cheat days. The rest of time I aim for optimal nutrition within my calorie allowance.

Optimal nutrition? Surely it's easier to get your macros and micro nutrients if your calorie allowance is larger, I don't see the point in the differentiation? Have I missed something?

What are you asking? I would have more flexibility if my calorie allowance were larger, but then I wouldn't be eating at maintenance. So if I want to eat a dessert that has 800 calories, I can do it, and that's a day that I'm probably not going to meet my macros or my micros, but I'll stay within my calorie allowance. If I ate whatever I wanted within my calorie allowance all the time, I would eat cheese instead of vegetables.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've certainly had days where I go over my calories by choice but I don't have cheat days, I just know that since I'm eating below maintenance, having a day that I go over every once in awhile doesn't matter whatsoever.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure cheating day is making much sense. If I have a day where my workout is extensive I may not eat 'those' calories til the next day. Not sure I get too concerned about being over or under by too much in any one day. I may have a decade view and this is probably unhealthy when I read this thread.
  • cindyb327
    cindyb327 Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i cheat once or twice a week and usually go over about 400 to 700 calories. i usually just eat more food instead of sweets. sweets make me feel tired, etc..
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I give myself a little treat every day that stops my chocolate cravings and i'm having fun experimenting with new foods and flavours instead of eating bland things. Today I was excited about avocado on toast! xD
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think I cheat every day but in good moderation. My actual cheat days are when I eat way over my calorie goal.
  • veggieerp
    veggieerp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to eat within my calorie and macro range most days. I pick one "free" day a week where I eat whatever I want and don't plan or track. I do my free day within a few guidelines. There must be at least seven days between free days, meaning if Saturday is my free day then I cannot have another free day until the following Saturday at the earliest. I also try to limit it more to a free meal but again, it's a go with the flow day. So if I eat a doughnut for breakfast, I'm not going to make myself eat salad for the rest of the day.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

This.

(I'm inadvertently stalking you again @rabbitjb :mrgreen: )
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    I pretty much destroyed an entire box of pizza and some breadsticks for lunch today. For dinner, ate a double (#2) with fries at The Habit. In between lunch and dinner, I had like 3 bags of M&Ms. Right now I feel like eating some ice cream. I might just go to the store and buy a some Haagen Daz or Dreyer's or something. I gotta eat more crap today -- as much of it as I can.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I do save calories during the weekdays for the weekends/events however.

Every Friday I go out for pizza, Saturday I might go out too or make a high calorie decadent dessert like a gourmet cheesecake. I don't make an entire day of it however. I plan for what I want and fit it in my calorie budget.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds...I don't deprive myself and I still have what I want within reason and still able keep a tight body with a flat tummy.

For me it's all about that balance.
  • JamalIgle
    JamalIgle Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I prefer to eat what I want in moderation than have a "cheat day". Who am I cheating on? Me? No, moderation works better than "cheat days". That way, you're not constantly depriving yourself in hopes of a "reward" at the end of the week like some trained circus seal.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

@Thin_Beauty94 I like you, you get it. If there was some magic way of having a day for eating whatever I wanted and still losing fat overall, I'd be consuming all of the delicious processed and packaged things. I wish people wouldn't try and suck all of the fun out of a cheat day by trying to redefine it as something else. If you're going to cheat, cheat. If not, fine, good for you, don't call whatever it is you do a cheat day though.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

@Thin_Beauty94 I like you, you get it. If there was some magic way of having a day for eating whatever I wanted and still losing fat overall, I'd be consuming all of the delicious processed and packaged things. I wish people wouldn't try and suck all of the fun out of a cheat day by trying to redefine it as something else. If you're going to cheat, cheat. If not, fine, good for you, don't call whatever it is you do a cheat day though.

Exactly! Like you're letting your body have for one day that things you don't typically have throughout the week. People keep saying a cheat day is terrible and will only cause you to gain back all the weight you lost. You didn't gain all the weight in one day, so you won't lose all the weight in one day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Exactly! Like you're letting your body have for one day that things you don't typically have throughout the week. People keep saying a cheat day is terrible and will only cause you to gain back all the weight you lost. You didn't gain all the weight in one day, so you won't lose all the weight in one day.

Yeah but no. You can gain a pound of fat in one day... good luck losing a pound of fat in one day...
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah but no. You can gain a pound of fat in one day... good luck losing a pound of fat in one day...

Ah well if you gain a pound of fat that's it, it's all over, you've ruined everything forever and there's no way you can undo that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ah well if you gain a pound of fat that's it, it's all over, you've ruined everything forever and there's no way you can undo that.

It's not my point. My point is that you just can't compare losing weight with gaining weight, which I see a lot on the forums... but just no. You can undo one week of deficit with a cheat day, but good luck having one week of deficit in a day...