Whole wheat bread?!

Options
xoprescilla
xoprescilla Posts: 15 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Weird question but what type of bread does everyone get? My family gets the cheap Walmart brand of white bread but there's sooo many calories in it so I want a healthier bread option.

Replies

• simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm doing gluten free bread (the rare time I even eat bread) because I feel better with it; however, I tended to lean towards white bread because, for me, I don't do well with whole grains (IBS-D). They make me ill.

Eat what makes you feel better.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade whole wheat sourdough bread. It's whole grain bread that's been made from a more traditional method, as the sourdough process breaks down a lot of the gluten in the grain.
  • alyurete
    alyurete Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is my favorite. Sprouted grains, no sugar, vegan, very high fiber. 80 calories a slice, give or take. Hope you find a bread that works for you!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Burgen soya and linseed

Edit: Linseed = flaxseed
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I like rye bread. Not the pre-packaged stuff, but the kind you find in the bakery section. I don't know if it's widely available, but it certainly is in the NY metropolitan area. It's sometimes marked as "Jewish Rye" or something similar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    All bread has calories, the thing really is to only buy tasty bread so the calories are actually worth it!

I started making my own bread. Yeah, it's white bread (haven't bothered with wheat yet but I will), but it's more filling and it's delicious. Totally worth it over the '40 calorie a slice' garbage (a slice of homemade loaf is about 100 calories). When I don't want to waste so many calories, I use low carb wraps (the 60/80 calories kind).
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I get whatever bread I feel like. But I try to get bread made out of a hundred percent whole wheat flour. I also bake my own.
  • fugaquedimicator
    fugaquedimicator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. Not sure if it is "healthier".
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    White for me as I have Crohn's and can't do fiber
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    alyurete wrote: »
    Ezekiel bread is my favorite. Sprouted grains, no sugar, vegan, very high fiber. 80 calories a slice, give or take. Hope you find a bread that works for you!
    I love this bread too! You can get it at Costco.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like Dave's killer bread. They come in a variety of flavors and calories, but I like the ingredient list even with the more calorie dense ones.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Breads are basically sugar, and contain Bromide which destroys your Thyroid, so I don't do them. However if I were to do one, it would probably be the Ezekiel bread.....
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Oroweat has a good whole wheat and other whole grain breads. IIRC 100-110 calories per slice.