Upping calories for weight loss, whats your story?

Options
First, a little background: I first joined this site last fall and after sticking to about 1200 calories a day and working out, I dropped nearly 20 pounds. I spent the winter (due to a hectic work schedule and busy life) maintaining my weight and not focusing on losing.

This spring I got back into trying to lose again and being more consistent with my workouts. I've been sticking to 1200-1300 calories a day, but the scale hasn't budged. I've read a few articles about upping calories to lose weight because 1200 will sometimes throw your body into starvation mode. I have now decided to up my intake to 1400 in hopes that this will make a difference! Has anyone out there had any success with this?

As another note, I'm working out 3-5 times a week (about 30 minutes each time): running, calisthenics, and occasional bike riding.

Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the "Eat More to Weigh Less" group forums on MFP. They have a bunch of dedicated "eat more" activists that could help, along with tons of success stories.

I just recently calculated my TDEE and am eating maintenance calories with a new workout regimen. After about 2 months I plan to drop and see if I can lose. Edit: This is after over a year of plateauing on a 1400 or less calorie diet.
  • UAYpull
    UAYpull Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat you are in. Currently I'm trying to get 1600 at a bare minimum.
  • GKoz004
    GKoz004 Posts: 87
    Options
    DO IT GRADUALLY. I was in a similar situation and upped my intake from 13-1400 to 17-1800 and gained 10lbs in 2 months. Add 100cals every 2 week.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information, that is super helpful! Have you noticed a (positive) difference since upping your intake?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Success with upping cals well over a year ago. Best move I ever made. :bigsmile:

I follow the info in this topic - great stuff there, and links to tools to calculate your calorie goal, how to set your macros and make the custom changes here at MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

After the January pic in my profile shot was taken, I dropped even more fat, finally reaching goal weight, but more important was more inches lost, meaning more fat lost. I started with the standard 1200, upped it to 1400, then 1500, etc, until I found the Road Map and bumped up to 1800+ cals a day. Yep, have had my best success eating between 1800-2000 cals a day, and it's awesome. Sustainable, fits into my life, keeping me well fueled for workouts, and no anxiety over dinners out, birthdays, holidays, vacations or any other event where trying to stay under was an issue.

You can read more on my profile if you want, and my diary is open. Although I must say I am very much enjoying my summer, and haven't been super disciplined with food lately, but even so am not gaining and all my clothes still fit! :drinker:
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    <
    Success with upping cals well over a year ago. Best move I ever made. :bigsmile:

I follow the info in this topic - great stuff there, and links to tools to calculate your calorie goal, how to set your macros and make the custom changes here at MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

After the January pic in my profile shot was taken, I dropped even more fat, finally reaching goal weight, but more important was more inches lost, meaning more fat lost. I started with the standard 1200, upped it to 1400, then 1500, etc, until I found the Road Map and bumped up to 1800+ cals a day. Yep, have had my best success eating between 1800-2000 cals a day, and it's awesome. Sustainable, fits into my life, keeping me well fueled for workouts, and no anxiety over dinners out, birthdays, holidays, vacations or any other event where trying to stay under was an issue.

You can read more on my profile if you want, and my diary is open. Although I must say I am very much enjoying my summer, and haven't been super disciplined with food lately, but even so am not gaining and all my clothes still fit! :drinker:

This is great information, thank you!