Emergency need of weight loss! Help

Options
I have a very important event coming up on Feb. 15 and I need to lose at least some weight fast. I'm currently 147lbs and I want to be at least in the 130's. Any tips or things I can do?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Start like 6 months ago? 8-17 lbs in 36 days is not going to happen, especially at your weight. 5 lbs would probably be more reasonable at this point and even that isn't guaranteed.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So you have 5 weeks.

147 - 5 (a pound a week) = 142; so not quite what you are hoping for.

Realistically most people lose a bit more the first week or so (water and such).

You may be able to set your rate of loss at 1.5 pounds a week which would land you right around 139 in 5 weeks.

Did you just find out about this event?

It can happen...pop up events that is. I lost 12 in 4 weeks for an event this weekend. Planned to start anyway after the holidays, so cest la vie.

However my starting weight was much higher than yours.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Start like 6 months ago? 17 lbs in 36 days is not going to happen, especially at your weight. 5 lbs would probably be more reasonable at this point and even that isn't guaranteed.

This !

That's too aggressive of a goal to lose in 36 days. It would be unhealthy and you'd likely lose much muscle mass ( that would leave you looking worse because saggy hanging skin isn't cute )
    So I'd suggest a more reasonable goal like 0.5 lbs per week.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Start like 6 months ago? 17 lbs in 36 days is not going to happen, especially at your weight. 5 lbs would probably be more reasonable at this point and even that isn't guaranteed.

This !

That's too aggressive of a goal to lose in 36 days. It would be unhealthy and you'd likely lose much muscle mass ( that would leave you looking worse because saggy hanging skin isn't cute )
    So I'd suggest a more reasonable goal like 0.5 lbs per week.

I edited to say 8-17 lbs because I saw OP said IN the 130's, not just 130. But still even 8 lbs at her weight is likely not going to happen. It could happen, but it would most likely be very difficult.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Plug your weight, height, activity level, etc., into MFP (under goals), tell it you want to lose 1 lb a week, log your food, weigh your food if possible, stick to the calorie goal MFP gives you, get some exercise if you can, eat back some of your exercise calories. Five weeks to Feb. 15 = 5 lbs of body mass lost, plus probably several pounds of water*, let's call it 4 lbs. 147 - 9 = 138, and you're in the 130s.

But are you really sure you need to lose any weight? Is that a current photo? You don't appear to be overweight. How tall are you? You might be happier if you did a recomp to build muscle and lose fat, but not try to lose weight overall.

*ETA: water weight loss presumes you're just starting, that is, that you haven't already been eating at a deficit and losing weight.
  • sharitapita
    sharitapita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with the statements here, but if you are motivated to lose what you can, I suggest cutting all processed food, added sugars, and limiting sodium. Cutting carbs will help too - stick to whole grains, preferrably early in the day or before a workout. Move as much as you can. Walk, workout, whatever works for you.
  • Rnjett
    Rnjett Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    30 minutes of Cardio per day and drinking water will help.

Cardio always helps me at least feel the bloating go away.

Since water doesn't have much of a taste I usually squeeze lemon juice in there (not a lot).

You might get down to 139 like said before. Keep in mind it's not so much about the weight as it might be about the inches. So if you don't lose the weight it doesn't mean you didn't accomplish anything.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Agreed that getting into the 130s is unlikely but you might get close. But that's just s number.

Really work on exercise and you'll improve fitness and feel better in your own skin. I'm sure you'll drop several lbs and feel much better.

Then, stick with MFP (counting calories and not stupid teas or other snake oil strategies), and you'll get to where you want for life.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not an emergency! A heart attack or broken leg is.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Weight loss is not an emergency! A heart attack or broken leg is.

^^ this

i think that unless you go into dangerous methods, losing that is unlikely in this time frame. you will lose weight, but not likely that much.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    the most you can lose safely in that time is 10 lbs. sorry
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    1) Invent time machine
    2) Travel back to September 2015
    3) Attempt to lose .5 per week

• soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a very important event coming up on Feb. 15 and I need to lose at least some weight fast. I'm currently 147lbs and I want to be at least in the 130's. Any tips or things I can do?

I agree with all the comments. Clean eating, cardio and weights will get you there, log all your food and don't go under, or you are in for a hell of a yo you and depression.
    Consistence, good food will have you looking and feeling great, that is the most important thing for you health and mental health. Hang in there and start at day 1.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    soozey1 wrote: »

I agree with all the comments. Clean eating, cardio and weights will get you there, log all your food and don't go under, or you are in for a hell of a yo you and depression.
    Consistence, good food will have you looking and feeling great, that is the most important thing for you health and mental health. Hang in there and start at day 1.

You think "clean eating, cardio and weights" will result in at least seventeen pounds lost in little more than a month?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    soozey1 wrote: »

You think "clean eating, cardio and weights" will result in at least seventeen pounds lost in little more than a month?

Particularly on someone who has little to lose in the first place?

OP - concentrate on losing a bit in a healthy sustainable manner, and finding an outfit you look great in.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Are you going to an event where someone at the event is going to write your weight on your forehead in marker? Why the obsession with the number? Who else besides you will know how much you weigh at the event?

My point is, a more reasonable goal might be to tone up a little before the event, in which case eat at a slight deficit and exercise (weight training, particularly).
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How long have you known about this important event?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

Yep. You can forget it because you might lose 5 or so pounds in that short space of time.

Losing weight for a holiday or a vacation is not an "emergency."
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    What kind of event has weight as a requirement? Will there be a weigh-in before they let you through the doors?

My advice, start eating at a reasonable calorie deficit, buy some spanx and a flattering outfit, and if you like maybe reduce your carb and sodium intake while drinking lots of water a few days before to minimize water retention.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    just curious is all... are actually 18 or over?