Starting a loose vegan diet, having trouble with nutrition

Options
124»

Replies

• Back2Biz
    Back2Biz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have never supplemented, neither has my mother whose been strict vegan 25+ years and we are not low in B12, calcium, iron, protein, etc. My Dad is a physician and mother is a Microbiologist - I trust their extensive knowledge and experience. Science can be used to make any argument either for or against. The USDA recommends meat and dairy as part of a healthy diet and have loads of "science" to support their claims. Vegans and Non-Vegans alike claim that their diet is best and can quote studies all day long. We are all different and have different goals. More support, less judgement.

OP, I would suggest that you do your own research (don't let others think for you - you never know someone's qualifications - even when they try hard to sound smart, they may not be and they don't know YOU!). If you're worried about your levels then get tested. I get tested every year and it is covered by my insurance. Try a variety of things and find what best works for you. Hope my suggestions give you something fun to try out.

I really wish you could delete your own post on these forums when they become hijacked and way off topic.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Back2Biz wrote: »
    I have never supplemented, neither has my mother whose been strict vegan 25+ years and we are not low in B12, calcium, iron, protein, etc. My Dad is a physician and mother is a Microbiologist - I trust their extensive knowledge and experience. Science can be used to make any argument either for or against. The USDA recommends meat and dairy as part of a healthy diet and have loads of "science" to support their claims. Vegans and Non-Vegans alike claim that their diet is best and can quote studies all day long. We are all different and have different goals. More support, less judgement.

OP, I would suggest that you do your own research (don't let others think for you - you never know someone's qualifications - even when they try hard to sound smart, they may not be and they don't know YOU!). If you're worried about your levels then get tested. I get tested every year and it is covered by my insurance. Try a variety of things and find what best works for you. Hope my suggestions give you something fun to try out.

I really wish you could delete your own post on these forums when they become hijacked and way off topic.

That's great for your family. It sounds like you, at least, eat some fortified foods (nutritional yeast), so that may be a factor. That you say you never supplement is irrelevant if you eat fortified foods. Fortified foods, like nutritional yeast, can be a good source of B12 for vegans. That said, anecdotal evidence is a poor basis for advising others that supplementation or fortified foods aren't necessary.

People can use scientific language to make any argument for or against. That doesn't mean that any conclusion we reach is scientifically sound and backed by the best knowledge we currently have.

When I say that I'm concerned about newer vegans being told that B12 analogs are a good source of B12 (when evidence indicates they may actually hurt our B12 levels), this is an expression of my support. When I say that I'm concerned about newer vegans being told that foods without measurable B12 levels are good sources of B12, that is an expression of my support. I want new vegans to be vegans for life and have the health and vitality in this way of life that I know we can have. Challenging pseudoscience and myth is my expression of support.

If you insist that all differences should be respected and all goals should be respected, then I know you can find a way to respect how I support newer vegans.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

That's great for your family. It sounds like you, at least, eat some fortified foods (nutritional yeast), so that may be a factor. That you say you never supplement is irrelevant if you eat fortified foods. Fortified foods, like nutritional yeast, can be a good source of B12 for vegans. That said, anecdotal evidence is a poor basis for advising others that supplementation or fortified foods aren't necessary.

People can use scientific language to make any argument for or against. That doesn't mean that any conclusion we reach is scientifically sound and backed by the best knowledge we currently have.

When I say that I'm concerned about newer vegans being told that B12 analogs are a good source of B12 (when evidence indicates they may actually hurt our B12 levels), this is an expression of my support. When I say that I'm concerned about newer vegans being told that foods without measurable B12 levels are good sources of B12, that is an expression of my support. I want new vegans to be vegans for life and have the health and vitality in this way of life that I know we can have. Challenging pseudoscience and myth is my expression of support.

If you insist that all differences should be respected and all goals should be respected, then I know you can find a way to respect how I support newer vegans.

I am an omnivore but I like your posts @janejellyroll
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I am an omnivore but I like your posts @janejellyroll

I am a vegan, but I like yours @rabbitjb

You are one of the people here who I have learned a lot from and that I find really inspirational.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    :)

Insert ...Highfive.gif
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant based whole foods diet and feel like I am doing very well nutritionally without considering supplementation. I do eat some fortified foods like bread and nutritional yeast. That said I still take a multi-vitamin, B12 and a vitamin D supplement. The only thing my doctor wants me to take us the D so when I run out of vitamins I may rethink what I'm taking. And of course D does not come from food. My diary is open.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Querian wrote: »
    I eat a plant based whole foods diet and feel like I am doing very well nutritionally without considering supplementation. I do eat some fortified foods like bread and nutritional yeast. That said I still take a multi-vitamin, B12 and a vitamin D supplement. The only thing my doctor wants me to take us the D so when I run out of vitamins I may rethink what I'm taking. And of course D does not come from food. My diary is open.

PS I know most doctors aren't trained in nutrition but her recommendation was after comprehensive blood work.