Pressure Cooker

Options
Jbell0213
Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
I just bought one, does anyone else have one? What do you like to make in it.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have one and I use this website.

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-recipes/

Bazinga!
  • Jbell0213
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Bazinga!

Cool Thanks. I just bought it and really excited.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Bazinga!

I have an electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) and that's the best resource!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I have a 23 quart presto pressure cooker/canner. I use it for canning. Never actually cooked a meal in it.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville fast slow electric pressure cooker, a Fagor Chef 8 qt pressure cooker, and a new Presto pressure canner which I haven't tried out yet :)
    I like making curries, stews, and chicken stock in them and I love how brown rice cooks up so quickly. I second the hippressurecooking site as an excellent resource.
  • vortex15
    vortex15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my electric pressure cooker. I have made so much in it. My go to on a weekly basis is cooking boneless chicken breast in it. I put the chicken in with chicken broth, some garlic powder, salt and pepper. It makes the best chicken to use for other recipes during the week. It is great for salads, stir frys or on its own.
  • Jbell0213
    Options
    I can't wait to use it. I have researching them for a while
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The hippressurecooking website is good. I also used the split pea and ham soup recipe from this book preview and it is awesome. Be sure to add a ham hock if you have one.

https://books.google.com/books?id=s7MDCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=pressure+cooker+vietnamese&source=bl&ots=hOW6S4lRoz&sig=-izhnRjkKTWoHH51vsammehYcKc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisr4entoDKAhUKSSYKHR0BDg84FBDoAQgtMAM#v=onepage&q=split%20pea&f=false

ETA: if the page comes up with Vietnamese Pho, that's because it's what I was searching for - the split pea recipe is in there around page 65.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It practically cooks any meat well and the broth is great for soups. Also, excellent to cook through things like lentils/pulses, dried beans, chickpeas etc and all this in very short periods of time compared with regular pots. Very handy!
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Excellent for beans meat soups stews
    Brown rice too not so good for white rice
    I use mine several times a week
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've used several recipes in the Pressure Cooking for Dummies book, it was a good entry level cookbook on how to learn how to use the pressure cooker. Teaches you the basics on cooking potatoes, meat, beans, etc., but has some good go to recipes, like refried beans, arroz con pollo, mashed potatoes.
  • Jbell0213
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.
  • sheildadrapkin
    sheildadrapkin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a guy named "Rick" & he does tons of cooking videos on YouTube using a pressure cooker along with other gadgets. He doesn't drag out his videos. He saves you time by cutting away the long processes. He cooks for his family every night & does it on a budget. Check him out & tell him "Sheilda" told you about him (notice the spelling). Simply type "Cooking with Rick" into YouTube's search bar.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have the same one as @Queenmunchy and anything that took 8h before takes 1h now and comes out amazing. Soups in 10 minutes.... yes please :)

@crazyravr - for the amount of soup I cook, you'll be surprised that I've NEVER used my pressure cooker to make any of them. I'm just using it for stock and meat, lol. I think I may try hard boiled eggs soon!
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    @crazyravr - This weekend, it's going down.
  • cybernet00
    cybernet00 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have an instant pot and love it! I just got done making some hard boiled eggs in 8 minutes and was done peeling all of them in 2 minutes!
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hope this isnt considered a hijack but rather a related question: I am debating a pressure cooker as my next big kitchen gadget purchase...do you guys think its worth it? I have a slow cooker and like the fact it can be set up in the morning and not when everyone is ravenous in the evening. What do you use it for most?
  • verdebug
    verdebug Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed by my pressure cooker and use it all the time. I find that it works best for braising, stews, soups, and the easiest risottos you will ever make. Slow cooker is also great but pressure cooker is a life saver when I haven't planned ahead.

Here's a recipe I like: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Also, this guy posts some delicious recipes that you can easily lighten to suit your needs: http://dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-index/
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    amillenium wrote: »
    Hope this isnt considered a hijack but rather a related question: I am debating a pressure cooker as my next big kitchen gadget purchase...do you guys think its worth it? I have a slow cooker and like the fact it can be set up in the morning and not when everyone is ravenous in the evening. What do you use it for most?

@amillenium if you get something like the instapot, it can also be used as a slow cooker. Pressure cooking is just one of the perks. Looks it up. Well worth it.

Thanks and will do! That sounds awesome--my crockpot has seen better days and it would be nice to cut down on appliances!

• Queenmunchy
    Options
    @crazyravr I plan to make the eggs in the IP because I heard they peel really, really easily. I do see so many people reheating meals and all of this incredibly random stuff in my IP groups like roasting veggies. It's bizarre! I'm like - I'll put that in a pot or something!