Cutting carbs

Options
Hey everyone. Just had a question. First off is it ok if you don't eat a lot of carbs. I was curious because some posts online say you can lose weight if you eat 0-20 carbs a day.

Replies

• jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Also is it healthy. I know carbs give you energy but what if you had zero for a week? I hope I'm not upsetting anyone with my post. I was just curious. I have a zero carb protein shake and wanted to sub all my meals for shakes. Is this ok. And again just curious, I'm not looking to do anything unhealthy or promote anything unhealthy. Thanks for any advice!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    All actual weight loss is from a calorie deficit.

How you get a calorie deficit is up to you. Any diet will work as long as you end up with a calorie deficit.

There's nothing special about low carb from a weight loss point of view. Low carb is fine though if you want to go that way.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    I'm good with calorie counter. I also go to the gym Monday through Saturday and burn 1500 calories a day. I have only been eating 1250 calories a day. I know it's low but it was just to kick start a healthier living. In sure I was eating 2500-4000 a day. Know a days I eat tons of low calorie fruit, sugar free calorie free jello, tuna chicken, tons of veggies and that's basically it. I just thought if I ate less carbs I may lose weight alittle faster.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm good with calorie counter. I also go to the gym Monday through Saturday and burn 1500 calories a day. I have only been eating 1250 calories a day. I know it's low but it was just to kick start a healthier living. In sure I was eating 2500-4000 a day. Know a days I eat tons of low calorie fruit, sugar free calorie free jello, tuna chicken, tons of veggies and that's basically it. I just thought if I ate less carbs I may lose weight alittle faster.

Veggies are mostly carbs and water.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Fruit, too.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    That's why I though I could cut most all foods and try a protein shake week. Is that healthy having shakes only for a week
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Don't do a protein shake week. Too much protein isn't good for you. Don't eat more than 1 gram of protein per pound of your ideal weight per day.

Where's the fire? Slow and steady wins the race. Find a way of eating that works for you and eat that. I've lost about 1.5 pounds per week eating 50% carbs/20% protein/30% fat.

If you aren't losing, check out this chart by lemonlionheart:

ueaadb9x4tdg.jpg

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    That's why I though I could cut most all foods and try a protein shake week. Is that healthy having shakes only for a week

No. And why would you want to? Put your info into my fitness pal, pick the deficit you want to hit each week (most people should only choose 1 pound unless very overweight) and eat what it tells you. Cutting carbs won't necessarily result in a loss. Cutting calories, however, will. This part of your weight loss should be about developing healthy, long term habits. Where does a week of only shakes fit into your long term healthy lifestyle?
  • fugaquedimicator
    fugaquedimicator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Low carb should be paired with high fat. If you go 20g or less carbs, your body will eventually go into ketosis. It will be using fat for energy instead of carbs. It doesn't have any special magic to increase weight loss. Calories matter. It isn't a good idea to just drink protein shakes for numerous reasons, including the low fat content as I mentioned above. It isn't a race to lose it fast..It's a lifestyle change. Just eat and exercise like a normal person and you will be healthy.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Sounds like a crash diet waiting to happen. Don't make things so complicated, set realistic goals, have some sweets and make it fit into your calorie goal. Oh yes and eat back some of your burned exercise calories, otherwise you will burn out and binge. Wanted to add that the 1500 calories you think you are burning at the gym is probably a lot less.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for such helpful posts!
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    And the main reason I asked was basically if cutting carbs would help speed up weight loss
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    I'm great with calorie counter, and eat much less than I burn. But I thought by eating 20 or less carbs a day and putting my body in ketosis mode. I thought I'd lose more fat, get more lean and lose weight faster. Like I said before I eat 1250 calories a day and every day burn 1500 calories and that's only tread mill calories. That's not including the sauna, weights and my everyday calories I burn. I am making great progress! A again was just curious if I'd lose weight even faster not eating many carbs. Like I said my goals 10 carbs a day for a few weeks if it will help, like I said before along with already burning more calories than Itake in.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    And the main reason I asked was basically if cutting carbs would help speed up weight loss

yes and no. you will lose water weight fast at the beginning, then even out. Fat loss? No.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    Gotcha ok thanks again all. I guess I won't worry about lowering the carbs to much then and just continue to conserve myself with my calories.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Sounds like a crash diet waiting to happen. Don't make things so complicated, set realistic goals, have some sweets and make it fit into your calorie goal. Oh yes and eat back some of your burned exercise calories, otherwise you will burn out and binge. Wanted to add that the 1500 calories you think you are burning at the gym is probably a lot less.

Thanks for your concern but I have been eating 1250 calories a day for over 3 months, haven't binged and don't intend to until I'm at my goal weight. I appreciate all the help and will make sure I continue doing this right
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    It's funny, it was hard at first but I haven't had any sweets, pizza cheeseburger type fast food. I've been trying to really change, I've lost around 30 pounds so far and have around 35 to go. But if I should eat more I guess I would. But I'm honestly ok with 1250. I feel good!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Multiple thoughts:
    1. How much are you trying to lose? (Height/weight/age)
    2. Your username implies you are a guy - why therefore are you eating less than the recommended minimum NET calories for men (1500)?
    3. You are not burning 1500 calories at the gym. And if you were, then you need to be eating more like 2500-3000.
    4. Doing a week of protein shakes sounds like a terrible idea. A miserable, starving, unhealthy, terrible idea.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Multiple thoughts:
    1. How much are you trying to lose? (Height/weight/age)
    2. Your username implies you are a guy - why therefore are you eating less than the recommended minimum NET calories for men (1500)?
    3. You are not burning 1500 calories at the gym. And if you were, then you need to be eating more like 2500-3000.
    4. Doing a week of protein shakes sounds like a terrible idea. A miserable, starving, unhealthy, terrible idea.

First off please don't be rude. Second off I was already advised on how shakes for a week was a bad idea but thank you. And in regards to me burning 1500 calories a day. YES I DO. How can you say no I don't, do you work out with me? I'm on the olyptical every day Monday to Saturday two times a day at the gym, I burn 750 get off do weights sauna relax. Do it again. Repeat daily, break Sunday.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    Also 1500 is yes recommended but I don't believe it is always necessary. I could be wrong and if im so I apologize. I've been doing well for a few months now on 1250. I'm sure il raise it up again but right now I'm working on losing the weight I want to lose. Thank again for reaching out.