My Mio HRMs, thoughts?

Options
The reviews are very mixed on My Mio HRM watches. I want something that can track the calories burned throughout the day and/or during my workout. I am considering the My Mio Drive Petite but I am unsure since the reviews on Amazon are mixed. I welcome opinions, advice, or suggestions for other great HRMs as well.

Thanks!

Replies

• msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have the MioPink and while it helps me see what I am burning it is not consistent since it freezes when you are at your highest heart rate, etc. I truly am getting fustrated!!! :angry: I would really invest in a better one that is the belt that goes around your chest and the watch that automatically shows you the HR and calories burned. I hear that is the most accurate reading. I have seen on here that the best ones are the Polar F6 and the Polar FT7. I am planning on upgrading in 2 weeks :bigsmile:

Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    Not sure where it falls in the food chain, but I have the Mio Select. Can't remember the price I paid for it, but
    it was under $100 that I purchased from my local sports store. I've been using it for over a year and I love it.
    Besides the HRM and calorie counter, you can keep track of your calories you intake and recovery time. Plus,
    the battery can be found in any drug store.

Don't be fooled by claims that the strap is the best way to go. It's just a bunch of phooey. Get whats the most
    comfortable for you and you can afford.

Doug
  • ChristineMcGrae
    Options
    Well I just got a Polar RS200 and I :heart: it! It was $105 from Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-RS200-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000H287NI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1277291868&sr=8-1

I did a lot of research about HRMs before I bought this one. My favorite part about it (other than it tracks everything known to man) is that you can put the watch up to the mic on your computer (I use my laptop) and it transmits a signal (sounds like an old fashion modem) and it will transfer everything about the workout to the Polar website where you would have created a profile. It will track everything there where you can see it in front of you rather than having to scroll through the watch to read it.

I put pictures of the screens you see here on my Blog: http://ukchristine.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-new-heart-rate-monitor.html

I have also heard really good things about the Polar F6 (which also has the above tool) and it is only $80 at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000F6DV4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1277292157&sr=1-1

But honestly I have read too much about chest straps being more accurate so I wanted one with that... I figured there can't be that many people saying they work better for it not to be true. Plus it is best to have a HRM that also measures your energy expenditure (which both of the above do). If it does not measure this then it is doing no more than guessing what calories are lost. By factoring in your actually energy (oxygen) expenditure it is far more accurate.

In order for it to determine this there is a quick 3-5 test you have to perform. It simply requires you to lay down completely quiet and the HRM will track the expenditure. It suggests that you update this info each time you input a new weight into the HRM.

Anyway.. there are a lot of choices out there to choose from. Just do good research and make sure it will work for what you want it for. :flowerforyou: