I am not sure what topic to put this under...

Options
I have ALOT of weight to loose like 107lbs...i have already lost 5lbs but I am wondering is it better to loose weight then tone up or is it better to loose weight and tone at the same time? I am currently going to curves so I am "kinda" toning but feel like i am more of just burning calories to loose weight at this point. What do YOU do to tone up stomach (i had 2 kids) etc.

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    First you can always do cardio and weight training.. however you need to eat at a calorie deficit in order to lose that belly fat, kids or no kids, nice tummys are made in the kitchen. Best wishes on your continued success
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.

Keeping your muscle as you lose fat, thus "toning", requires resistance training as you lose weight.

Calorie Deficit + Resistance Exercise = win
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree with everyone else :) throw in some weights asap and keep at a deficit! You wont bulk so no worries. You'd need a surplus of calories to get that going.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I have ALOT of weight to loose like 107lbs...i have already lost 5lbs but I am wondering is it better to loose weight then tone up or is it better to loose weight and tone at the same time? I am currently going to curves so I am "kinda" toning but feel like i am more of just burning calories to loose weight at this point. What do YOU do to tone up stomach (i had 2 kids) etc.
    Lose and workout hard at the same time...
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Curves is a good place to start. Exercise is very important. Soon you will out grow Curves, but you can add exercise at home. There are alot of websites and utubes that show you how to work out at home with your own body weight or household items to use as weights. Weight training is important for toning and weight loss. You will keep burning after you stop working out. Cardio is good for your heart and lungs, so it is important too.

There is no spot training. You can do all kinds of ab exercises, but it you have the layer of fat covering it.... So tone and lose at the same time with exercise and the old saying "calories in calories out".
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    There's really nothing you can do to target fat loss from specific parts of the body. You can spot train muscles and make them stronger, but losing fat will come from eating at a calorie deficit. However, strength training has lots of benefits and will increase your overall fitness level, so I say do it!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    For me, I have three kids, but I focused on my core. I am not a skinny mini, but a full grown man can stand on my stomach, it is that solid.

I started with cardio and calorie def, then I gradually added in the weights.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Curves gives you both strength and toning! I lost my first 20 lbs there when I first started. But, like the other folks have said, you have to watch your ins and outs, and make sure that you are eating enough lean protein to build muscle, which in turn will burn more fat.