Calorie Goal

Options
Hi all. Back to MFP tomorrow. I'm wondering why MFP is only giving me 1320 calories when most other calorie counting sites give me at least 1600 or more. All info the same. Any ideas??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do the other sites include your projected exercise goals?
  • Lees75
    Lees75 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Could it be from the goals you set? i.e. 1.5-2lb per week loss
  • lwetzler512
    lwetzler512 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do the other sites include your projected exercise goals?
    No, just current activity levels. But MFP doesn't seem to include those either as it doesn't change when I add my exercise goals. And I would think if it did, it would give me more.
  • lwetzler512
    Options
    Lees75 wrote: »
    Could it be from the goals you set? i.e. 1.5-2lb per week loss
    I have 2 lb on MFP. The other sites just asked for lose-maintain-gain. Just seems like a large difference to me. It's like another meal almost!

• lwetzler512
    Options
    I'm not sure whether to leave it at 1320 or increase to like 1500. I want to lose as quickly yet safely as my body allows.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    2 pounds is too aggressive for most people. What is your height weight and goal weight?
  • Lees75
    Lees75 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you change it to 1lb, your calories will adjust themselves up, probably to around the 1500 mark.
  • lwetzler512
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    2 pounds is too aggressive for most people. What is your height weight and goal weight?
    Height 5'5"
    Weight 250
    Goal 175
  • lwetzler512
    Options
    I mean, I can do the 1320 if that will help me lose 2 lb/week. But I want to make sure it's not way off.

Then, should I eat the calories that I "get" from exercising?
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    If 1320 is too little adjust your goal to lose 1.5 and it will add back some calories. Better to lose at a slightly slower rate than to be hungry alot and risk binging.

Yes, most people eat back a percentage generally like 50% of exercise calories. MFP generally overestimates burns through exercise (and for that matter, so does the gym equipment) and that is why people eat back only a percentage of calories earned through exercise.
  • lwetzler512
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    If 1320 is too little adjust your goal to lose 1.5 and it will add back some calories. Better to lose at a slightly slower rate than to be hungry alot and risk binging.

Yes, most people eat back a percentage generally like 50% of exercise calories. MFP generally overestimates burns through exercise (and for that matter, so does the gym equipment) and that is why people eat back only a percentage of calories earned through exercise.

Thanks!! You guys rock :)
    Excited to start my long journey tomorrow. 175 is the main goal but 150 would be best. 75+ lbs to go!!
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I found it to set my calories for the daily to low too. I go by what my dietitian says to do and it works. She told me to set mine at 1800 at the beginning and that worked. Now I just tried to stay around 1500 to 1800 when I am not sick. :)
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    You got this! And seriously, don't hesitate to change your goal to lose a bit slower. In the long run, it's usually the fastest way because you are less likely to lose time on long binges due to deprivation. You can do it!