GNC lean shakes!!

Options
Hi everyone❤️, I purchased the shakes yesterday, I was wondering if anyone tried the GNC lean shakes and was successful with losing weight, and if yes, how much weight have you lost. Thanks in advance god bless

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Did you do your research first? I honestly think any shake is a waste of money when you can eat real food and enjoy it more.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Shakes don't make you lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Taking in fewer calories than your body burns is how you lose weight. You can do that by replacing meals with shakes or you can eat real food.

The good thing about eating real food is you learn about portions sizes and nutritional values. Eating (and logging) real food gives you the tools needed to keep the weight you lost from creeping back up.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    hgrewal07 wrote: »
    Hi everyone❤️, I purchased the shakes yesterday, I was wondering if anyone tried the GNC lean shakes and was successful with losing weight, and if yes, how much weight have you lost. Thanks in advance god bless

I had a mint chocolate one before (think it was a limited flavour offering). It was so yummy that I made sure to buy a few more bottles before they stopped selling that flavour. Protein shakes are to give you extra protein that you may normally be missing in your regular diet. Despite the word "lean" on this product, it will not make you lose weight...nothing you drink can make you lean, it's not magic, losing weight is hard work.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    They're food, so they won't make you lost weight.
  • CKbabymama
    CKbabymama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love them! I find them useful in order to get some protein in the morning. I struggle with some IBS issues, so eating first thing in the morning can be kind of hard for me. GNC lean shakes have really helped me get something in my stomach in the morning to get my metabolism moving. I like to work out first thing as well, so some protein is necessary! Compared to a lot of other shakes, I think they stand out for a lot of reasons - they are low in sugar, unlike SlimFast and other brands you find in the grocery store; they are lactose free - a must for me; they are higher in protein than grocery store brands, and they taste better than other shakes I have tried. I agree that they won't make you lose weight alone, but as a part of a high-protein, veggie heavy diet, they are a great resource for me!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    CKbabymama wrote: »
    I love them! I find them useful in order to get some protein in the morning. I struggle with some IBS issues, so eating first thing in the morning can be kind of hard for me. GNC lean shakes have really helped me get something in my stomach in the morning to get my metabolism moving. I like to work out first thing as well, so some protein is necessary! Compared to a lot of other shakes, I think they stand out for a lot of reasons - they are low in sugar, unlike SlimFast and other brands you find in the grocery store; they are lactose free - a must for me; they are higher in protein than grocery store brands, and they taste better than other shakes I have tried. I agree that they won't make you lose weight alone, but as a part of a high-protein, veggie heavy diet, they are a great resource for me!

Sidebar just to point out that your metabolism doesn't need you to get it moving.
    Contrary to popular opinion, your metabolism does not slow down at night. Your body continues burning calories to keep you alive whether or not you're asleep and whether or not you've had breakfast.
    Otherwise, your heart would quit beating, your body wouldn't thermoregulate, you'd quit breathing and all your internal organs would shut down. All these functions keep your metabolism running at normal levels 24 hours a day.

Back on topic:
    OP, if the shakes help you reach macronutrient goals or work for an easy, quick breakfast that's fine. However, be aware that they have nothing in them that will simply cause you to lose weight just because you're drinking them. They won't even make weight loss any faster than if you are the some amount of calories from other sources.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I love these shakes - they taste great and have good numbers to help meet your protein needs, but others have said, nothing magical in them that will help you lose weight!
  • CKbabymama
    CKbabymama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I was not implying that my metabolism "stops" at night. There is very clear evidence, however, that after hours of not eating it slows down significantly, and eating breakfast revs it up, allowing your body to burn more calories. Check out pretty much any doctor or fitness guru's opinion, and they will say the same.

For example, from Fitness Magazine:

'"Simply chewing, digesting and absorbing food kicks your metabolism into gear,' says Jim White, RD, a national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. 'The more frequently you eat, the more often it revs up.' Conversely, missing a meal, or going too long between meals, brings your metabolism to a crawl. 'Your body switches into starvation mode and your system slows down to conserve energy,' White explains."

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/tips/supercharge-your-metabolism/

Also, from WebMD:

"'It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from 'starvation eating' later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. 'When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."'

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/lose-weight-eat-breakfast?page=2
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I think these shakes will be a great kick start to your weight loss in 2016! don't listen to the naysayers…good luck to you ...
  • arditarose
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I think these shakes will be a great kick start to your weight loss in 2016! don't listen to the naysayers…good luck to you ...

You're always so supportive.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    CKbabymama wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I was not implying that my metabolism "stops" at night. There is very clear evidence, however, that after hours of not eating it slows down significantly, and eating breakfast revs it up, allowing your body to burn more calories. Check out pretty much any doctor or fitness guru's opinion, and they will say the same.

For example, from Fitness Magazine:

'"Simply chewing, digesting and absorbing food kicks your metabolism into gear,' says Jim White, RD, a national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. 'The more frequently you eat, the more often it revs up.' Conversely, missing a meal, or going too long between meals, brings your metabolism to a crawl. 'Your body switches into starvation mode and your system slows down to conserve energy,' White explains."

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/tips/supercharge-your-metabolism/

Also, from WebMD:

"'It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from 'starvation eating' later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. 'When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."'

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/lose-weight-eat-breakfast?page=2

you get the same benefit from one large meal as you do from six mall meals..metabolically speaking…

• ndj1979
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

that is what this site is all about, support!
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

that is what this site is all about, support!

*HIGH FIVES*
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I adore the swiss chocolate shake in the AM. I dislike eating breakfast so for me this is a great kick starter at the right amount of protein and calories for my needs. I like them.

But as others have said, this alone won't make you lose weight. A calorie deficit will help you to lose weight. ;) If the shakes help you stay at a deficit and satisfy you, then why not? Use 'em!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit - weight loss

Protein shake- supplements protein

You don't lose weight because you drank a shake.

You lose weight because you consumed less calories then you burn.

Weight loss comes down to calories.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Tried them but preferred Premier Protein shakes.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I used to drink them religiously as a meal replacement. They're good if you need something quick but aren't a magic shake. Otherwise use them when you need them!