What is YOUR definition of 'clean eating' ?

Options

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Food that hasn't been dropped on the floor, and left for longer than 5 seconds.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Making sure I don't drop my cheeseburger on the floor before I eat it, and wiping the rim of the beer can before drinking from it. :bigsmile:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Food that hasn't been dropped on the floor, and left for longer than 5 seconds.

^^ LOL.... See?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    All my food is handled by me and I wash my hands. Clean eating. Erm my gawd.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unprocessed or minimally processed food.
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Non-processed foods and only natural foods, no grains and nothing with anything made in a lab or comes from a box.

This is the actual definition.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Non-processed foods and only natural foods, no grains and nothing with anything made in a lab or comes from a box.

Why no grains? What if I buy a box of vegetables from the farm down the street? Are bags okay or is it just boxes?
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Making sure I don't drop my cheeseburger on the floor before I eat it, and wiping the rim of the beer can before drinking from it. :bigsmile:
    Lol'd.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

For who? I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I doubt they consider grains "unclean". Whey protein is made in a lab and many "clean eaters" consume it.

The problem lies in the fact that "clean eating" is something different to everybody and can't be pigeonholed into a neat little package.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some people take it to more extremes than others.
    For me personally, it's unprocessed - so no dairy, no gluten, no booze.

Some people do all organic, but I cant afford that, nor do I have the patience.

Either way, I think the commitment to eating unprocessed, healthy foods can only do good for our bodies, regardless of the personal definition. :)

Kudos to those who give it a shot!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It means avoiding boxed, canned, or frozen meals and pre-packaged meals that are laden with preservatives. It means cooking from scratch using fresh meats and produce as the base whenever possible.

I'm pretty much this....though I do tend to get canned beans...I don't have time to make beans from scratch all of the time.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    washing your pizza thoroughly before eating
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Its quite a sensible idea that as usual, obsessive idiots have refined to the nth degree.

Essentially, for me it is trying to eat most of my meals home-cooked and balanced, getting plenty of variety meat, fish, fruit and veg.
    I prefer to eat wholemeal bread and brown rice most of the time. I try to avoid 'overprocessed foods' (notice: due to pedants, I didn't say 'processed'). For me, that is about making sure I get plenty of micronutrients - things that seem to be often overlooked, by equally obsessive IIFYM types.

I am picky about beer. Must only contain hops, malted barley (although other grains are acceptable) yeast and water. Other ingredients are NOT OK. :drinker:
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I consider how I eat most days to be "clean" although I use some additives that are processed...ie: parmesan cheese, salsa, shake n bake etc. I have no grains,,,no rice, white bread, pasta or potatoes.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Its quite a sensible idea that as usual, obsessive idiots have refined to the nth degree.

:drinker:
  • erikalanem
    erikalanem Posts: 48
    Options
    Food dipped in bleach :)

I really wish this place had "likes", like Facebook...some people crack me up!
  • jaysuter1
    jaysuter1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Staying away from the big spooky ingredients. As natural as you can but sometimes making it from scratch doesnt work.

High Fructose Corn Syrup
    "X" Hydrogenated
    Monosodium Glutamate
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Artificial Dyes and Colorings (I accept plant and insect dyes)
    BHA and BHT
    Brominated "X"
  • bcattoes
    Options
    washing your pizza thoroughly before eating

Doesn't that make it soggy and the toppings fall off? Or is there some special pizza dry cleaning method?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

For who? I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I doubt they consider grains "unclean". Whey protein is made in a lab and many "clean eaters" consume it.

The problem lies in the fact that "clean eating" is something different to everybody and can't be pigeonholed into a neat little package.

THIS
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I seem to have a looser definition than most. To me it's eating foods that are whole, real food. Or made from whole foods. I dont care where it's grown or if it's organic, or how it was treated before it was killed. No chemical additives or preservatives, no added sugar, or HFCS.
    It means avoiding boxed, canned, or frozen meals and pre-packaged meals that are laden with preservatives. It means cooking from scratch using fresh meats and produce as the base whenever possible.

These seem to line up with my definition. I don't eat 100% clean, probably not even 80%, but I have been trying to get better.

Also, I think frozen meat and veggies are fine - as long as they are more or less unaltered. I live by my freezer - I stock up on meats when they are on sale and freeze, I freeze fruits and veggies when they are in season to have year-round. I freeze soup and broth - I never make a small pot.

Processed food I still buy include mostly sauces and dressings (haven't gotten in the habit of making them homemade yet) as well as dairy. I will also buy canned beans and canned tuna. I do not exclude grains - I eat plenty of whole wheat pasta, brown rice, oatmeal, granola and quinoa.