Do some medications prevent weight loss?

Options
Just curious if anyone out there truly believe some medications prevent you from losing weight?
Seems like I can be dedicated to lose and really put forth great effort and barely lose?
Also, just recently found that I am insulin resistant and I feel like that may also be preventing loss?!!!?? Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Some can make it harder to lose, most don't. Google your medication + "side effects" and see what comes up.

Here are the more common reasons for a lack of progress :+1:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1

• AGuy80
    AGuy80 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I looked at the link and it was really helpful. Thanks!
  • amber68rose556
    amber68rose556 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, antidepressants and antipsychotics are notorious for weight gain, how ever its because they cause an increase in appetite, but it is possible to lose on them, as long as you log everything and keep your appetite in check!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was on Seroquel and even if I ate right, I'd still gain weight. It leads to a lot of water retention at higher doses and messes with prolactin levels. Once I got off it I lost the weight I gained from it.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, antidepressants and antipsychotics are notorious for weight gain, how ever its because they cause an increase in appetite, but it is possible to lose on them, as long as you log everything and keep your appetite in check!

Depends on the drug and dosage. Seroquel doesn't just increase appetite, but it also makes you feel groggy, messes with blood sugar levels [and sometimes people develop type 2 diabetes because of it] and prolactin levels. Research is starting to show that Seroquel does indeed affect the pancreas.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I've lost and gained and lost on medications. even SSRIs. Most lead to a temporary gain.
    essentially the CICO model still works, but it might need to be adjusted. some medications can make brain hunger much worse. Remeron made me think i was famished all the time.
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    "Also, just recently found that I am insulin resistant and I feel like that may also be preventing loss?!!!??"

How did you find this out?
  • AGuy80
    AGuy80 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    AGuy80 wrote: »
    I looked at the link and it was really helpful. Thanks!
    "Also, just recently found that I am insulin resistant and I feel like that may also be preventing loss?!!!??"

How did you find this out?

I had blood work done and I am to see an endocrinologist at the end of the month.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is the worst. Far worse than any antidepressant
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    yup predisnolone does make you gain weight as well as messes with hunger signals... I literally see the extra water in my body, watch strap needs to be loosened, sometimes even shoes..
    Having said that, with a lot of self control as well as understanding that weight loss may be slower, it is possible! and each reduced mg of steroids makes it slightly easier...