Ideas for exercise during work (desk job)

Options
2»

Replies

• jessicadp88
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the advice! I am so excited to start this journey and become healthier. I definitely see that there are many ways to stay active even with a desk job (besides outside of work) and can't wait to start incorporating this into my daily routine and being able to change the exercises up each day for variety.

Thanks again everyone and best of luck to each of you on your own journeys! :happy:
  • acassanovadavis
    acassanovadavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suggest making time for your short 15 minute breaks & take advantage of your lunch time. I walk the 15 minutes of my break everyday & walk on my lunch breaks. To enhance my body during the day, I sit at the end of my chair or use a large fitness ball (if your employers let you). That helps build back & stomach muscles- you're less likely to depend on the chair's support. In addition, at times I will get up just to move around when I have a free moment- they don't happen often, so a bathroom run is a great excuse for breaking. I work at a VERY fast paced doctor's office. I understand the meaning of "not having time for breaks" BUT you REALLY need to take those breaks, not only for your fitness level but also for your own mental state. Don't let your work run you- take time for yourself.
  • keely1998
    keely1998 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    lol
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Eat lunch at your desk then spend your actual break going for a walk

This is what I did when I was a medical transcriptionist. Granted, I still wound up gaining weight because I ate too much, drank a lot of soda and energy drinks, and just didn't have a healthy lifestyle.
  • gypsy_nurse
    gypsy_nurse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I worked a desk job for almost 6 years and I used the regular exercises you can do at your desk. I also purchased a mini stair stepper that I used a majority of the time when I was sitting down to keep my legs moving. (I think I have RLS LOL...I have to have my legs moving all the time)
  • BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too, so I try to stand up as much as possible, you burn more calories standing than sitting :) also I walk around our office as much as possible & as fast as possible "nickname Turbo" around here LOL. They have the little peddle things you can do under your desk if you have room and maybe even sit on a exercise ball, they help with posture and work your core. I would love one but I'm not allowed LOL.
  • AlysonM
    AlysonM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do ten push-ups (against the wall) every time I make a trip to the bathroom. Easy-peasy!:happy:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I asked for (and got) a standing desk at work. It moves up and down so that I don't have to stand ALL day. I usually stand about 5 hours and sit for the rest. I take the stairs when I can, and try to walk to either the water machine or the bathroom every hour or so. If no one is in the bathroom, I will bust out a few incline push ups on the sinks, do some squats, or both. I have a longer lunch, so I eat and then take a walk, but if my lunch must be shorter that day, I eat at my desk then take a walk. I also take 5-10 minutes around 3pm to take a short, brisk walk. This is my "smoke break", and it also helps me to be more productive by killing the 3pm slump.

Mostly you need to have a deficit through diet and/or exercise after work. If you don't have a ton of time, try Jillian's 30 day shred which only takes 20 minutes (+shower and change) If you can fit that in before you would normally shower, than it quite literally takes like 22 minutes. Weightlifting is great and maybe more cardio is fine, but this would be a fantastic way to start.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat lunch at your desk then spend your actual break going for a walk

THIS!! It's what I do!

I love walking outside ...... if you have an office with a door .... use this for rainy (sticky, hot) days (only 20 minutes long).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

I keep and MP3 player, walking weights, deodorant, and baby wipes in my desk.