Feel like I won't see results

Options
I'm yhe heaviest iv ever been at 200 lbs I'm 5 11 and my Goal weight is 140. On Jan 2nd I started walking and jogging on the treadmill. I do 30 min to 45 min and sometimes I'll try to do another 20 min later on in the day. I have a 6 month old baby so I'm usually sitting all day with her.
I use to eat mcdonalds a lot and eat pizza a lot I probably ate more then 3000 calories a day but that's a guess. I'm now probably eating 1200 calories a day and much healthier food. I'm amazed I even have energy to wake up and go work out but I seem to enjoy it and I really want to be the healthiest and best me for my daughter. I just feel like no matter what I do I'm not going to lose much weight. I'm hoping to reach 140 by Jan 1 2017 if sooner awesome. Any tips or words of encouragement would be helpful.

Replies

• CalvinBrizzi
    CalvinBrizzi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you keep it up, you're going to lose loads of weight, though 1200 calories seems a bit low and arbitrary, have you tried plugging in your details into a weight loss calculator and getting a better idea how many calories you need to eat? The important thing is that it should not be guess work! You shouldn't say "probably around 1200' you should track every crumb and know how much you are eating:)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Tips?

Don't guess. Log your food, and know what you are eating. Guessing isn't very accurate.

Set a reasonable goal and don't eat too little. If you are always hungry, you're probably more likely to give up.

Don't admit defeat before you give it an actual real attempt.

To reach your goal, you only have to lose a little more than a pound a week. At your starting weight you will probably be able to eat 1800-2000 calories per day depending on your activity level, and more if you exercise a decent amount. This will slowly lower as you lose weight, but since it's gradual it's not a huge system shock.

Just honestly enter your statistics into MFP, follow the plan, and lose your weight. If you hit bumps in the road, learn from them. There is plenty of info here on the forums for food ideas, different tricks people use, etc.

If you need motivation to prove that it's possible, just go check out the success stories forums. People have made huge changes following the MFP plan.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than 1200 cals. Plus there's no need to eat so little anyway.

You will see results if you use mfp!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Hey the great news is, as long as you don't give up, you'll see results whether you feel like you will or not! I lost my 1st 20 lbs absolutely not believing I could do it.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Although, you probably should start logging your food, as it's gobsmackingly easy to eat many more calories than you think you are.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Hope, could I suggest starting here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

Use a food scale, run your stats and set realistic goals. Even healthy food has calories. Put your baby in a baby harness, and move. You can do it.
  • AliMalek21
    AliMalek21 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lol I'm laughing so hard now cuz you can easily lose weight , I will tell you the secret :)

(((((((((((((((((((( Lower your sodium, make sure your carbs are under 50g, drink a lot of water and Walk, make sure your are on calories deficit))))))))))

Taaaaraaaaa that's the secret :) try them and you will lose all kind of weight
  • jennifer_417
    edited January 2016
    Options
    AliMalek21 wrote: »
    Lol I'm laughing so hard now cuz you can easily lose weight , I will tell you the secret :)

(((((((((((((((((((( Lower your sodium, make sure your carbs are under 50g, drink a lot of water and Walk, make sure your are on calories deficit))))))))))

Taaaaraaaaa that's the secret :) try them and you will lose all kind of weight
    Umm....absolutely nothing on this list is necessary EXCEPT the calorie deficit, which is no secret.
  • gettingsexybck007
    gettingsexybck007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I too have a 6month old with 50lbs to lose. Its hard to eat healthy and most times I'm so drained I don't remember to eat.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    How did you pick your goal weight? It seems a bit low for your height.

Personally, I find having a time limit makes weight loss more stressful. Be kind to yourself if you don't hit your target by January 1. If it takes you until March, or July, or December, its still success!

There's no need to sit all day with your baby. Put her in a stroller and go out for a walk. If it's too cold to walk outside, go to a mall. You can do exercise videos in your living room. You can put on music and silly dance while holding her! Have fun!!

As others have said, plug in your stats, and log all your food. Eat the right amount of calories each day. This really works if you stick with it.
  • hopemc061915
    hopemc061915 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been logging in my food for the last ttwo days yesterday it was 1700 and today it says 1000 which is weird but I couldn't find this one calorie about for the chicken I ate today I'm sure it was more. I'm just so confused today I had a grapefruit smoothie and then chicken and carrots for lunch and broccoli soup for dinner but every time I go to log something I about to get it says it has to much sodium or stuff like that so then it says I'm eating to little but it's hard . I'm sure in time I'll be able to pick better. But even a ceaser salad it told me that lol and eating that is healthy compared to what I usually eat lol.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I just feel like no matter what I do I'm not going to lose much weight.

I understand this thought. It rattles around my head a lot too. The first couple of months was particularly difficult because I was losing weight so slowly, and there were stretches when my weight was bouncing up and down so it felt like I was losing nothing.

Try to stick with it beyond those first few months even if you're finding it hard, or if you think it will never happen.

After those first two months, I adjusted my calorie intake and exercise minutes and now things are better than they were. I also spend time trawling the success forum here, reading the experiences of others to help keep my end goal in mind. I've finally lost enough for me to see that CICO works - even for me! - as long as I do it right - weigh my food accurately with kitchen scales, don't over estimate my exercise calories and log everything (even on overindulgent days).

You can do this!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I pay more attention to the calories than I do to the sodium. I don't even pay all that much attention to carbs/fat/protein. If I keep the calories in line the carb etc seems to work out. I'm always over on sodium and always under in potassium. I regularly drink a lot of water which tends to flush out some of the sodium. Can't focus on everything so I figure the calories are the most important.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree. All the macros just make it complicated. Unless you're eating some crazy all-egg-white-plus-grapefruit kind of fad diet, if you eat a mix of foods, the macros will take care of themselves for a while until you have time to concentrate on them, if ever. Just keep the calories in the range you choose, and log EVERYTHING. As for finding a food that matches in the database, if you identify the main ingredients, you can get close enough. You can weight the chicken part easily enough. If it has a gravy, when in doubt, call it oil and get a fix on how many tablespoons. If it's more complicated than that and you cooked it yourself, enter all the ingredients separately and divide by the number of servings.