What size barbell do I go for?

Options
I'm looking into getting a barbell and weights after I go through my dumbbells. I decided I could up end the bar and pyramid stack the weights and store them in my closet. Just put the whole thing together every time. To keep my kiddos safe.
So onto the next hurdle, what size should I get. I found this one that come in 5-6-7 ft. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V2ZXOS?keywords=barbell&qid=1452505916&ref_=sr_1_1&s=exercise-and-fitness&sr=1-1
I also thought this might be a better deal though cause I get all the goodies too;
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041G3ZK6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IFHYRKPJ0WPT&coliid=I22V0VLQL8DZP3
It's a 55 inch bar, 4 lb? straight bar. I though the bars are supposed to be heavier, but I don't know...
I thought I should ask before I committed to anything just yet...

I'm 5 7.5 if that helps.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I can't lift too heavy yet, but I would find the second one (the set) a little too restrictive and lightweight even for me.
    (5'1 100-105lbs)

That would mean I could only achieve lifting to my body weight and I am 2/3 of the way there on some things (dead lift) already.

Before buying look at how far you want to progress,and the type of programmes you want to do, and if you want this as just a beginners set to sell on later in the year.
    I don't think, with the lightness of the bar, you would be able to augment with extra weights either.

Just a beginner lifters thoughts, no expert.

Cheers, h.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Both of those appear to be standard bars, which have a 1 inch diameter. Most barbells in gyms are Olympic bars, which are larger. Something to keep in mind when looking for weights; you'll need to find weights to match whichever bar you buy. And i agree that you will likely or grow the second one relatively quickly.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have the 6' CAP barbell. It's 15 lbs and can hold up to 250 lbs, which is plenty for me. My deadlift maxes at 200 but I don't usually work anywhere near my max so I don't see me needing more weight than that. My other lifts will never get near 200, let alone 250.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @jemhh I like the sound of your set up. Did you buy it or build it?

Sorry for the slight detour.
    Cheers, h.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    @jemhh I like the sound of your set up. Did you buy it or build it?

Sorry for the slight detour.
    Cheers, h.

@middlehaitch , I've cobbled together my setup little by little. I started out with the 105# set of these dumbbells . Then I bought a bench secondhand from a coworker's son. It came with a set of 15# and 25# plates and a super light bar whose weight I don't even count. The dumbbell plates fit that bar too. Once I decided to get a better bar I stayed with the 1" kind since I already had close to 200# in plates. I've gotten a few more 25# plates since then and I still use the super light bar some because it allows me to superset things like bench press and rows.