Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi all!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who HATES excercising! Running hurts my back, the gym is so boring, and I've never really been in to sports. (That's not to offend anyone who does enjoy the gym/running/sports, good on you guys for getting into it).

I try to get excercise in by swimming/water aerobics, bush walking, taking dogs for a walk, kicking a ball with my partner in the park.

My question is, does anyone have any more ideas about how to get excercise in my days that might be more enjoyable or that serves a double purpose (like walking dogs), or even having so much fun that I don't realise it's excercise??? -I can hope right?

Thanks everyone

Swimming and playing ball is NOT exercise? I am a bit confused about your definition of exercise :)

Agreed. However, for those that hate exercise, it's good to work toward finding an activity they enjoy that they can be consistent with. I cannot fathom hating exercise. That's just so odd to me. But, I know people IRL that tell me that that get no enjoyment whatsoever. From beginning to end, it's complete misery. Lol. It just doesn't compute.

I do not think that there are many people who stick long term (and I do not mean a year or two) with an exercise routine they do not like for the sake of exercise. Perhaps there are some who are very focused on physical appearance and will manage to do workouts year after year just with this goal, but most people who exercise regularly, they are doing something they enjoy. Perhaps this is not the rule on MFP, but MFP is a community not representing the average person, but mostly people currently pursuing fitness or health goals.
    For OP, enjoyable exercise might be swimming or playing ball, but this does not make these exercises any less "exercises". The average person who spends 10 years running or playing basketball or hiking or dancing or doing yoga, is doing these activities because they are fun for them. And usually different people have different interests.
    So OP, instead of saying you hate exercise, you can say you hate the gym or team sports and would rather find other physical activities. You are not alone, this is true probably for most people.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like to do kickboxing when I don't feel like working out because it's so much fun! Check out free workouts from fitnessblender.com - you don't even have to leave your living room!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Go do awesome things outside.
    bike to places, hike, etc...

This. Walk, hike, snowshoe, ski, ice skate, roller skate, dancing/dance class, bike ride...the list is endless.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    This is a bit tongue and cheek, but sex for example is great exercise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Warchortle wrote: »

even with yourself?
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Volunteer to bag groceries at a food bank. Park at the far end of parking lots wherever you go. Walk your dog more often. Babysit for someone's 3 year old (bonus points if it's 3 year old twins). Play frisbee. Shovel snow, shovel your neighbor's snow, too. Have a snowball fight.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    simple - join a martial arts class.

I used to hate all of the above as you described because it was all boring as bat *kitten*.

But martial arts classes had me learning something new every single time I went to class and it's a wonderful workout. Sure you feel unco at first but eventually it all clicks and generally speaking the people are great too.

There are so many out there though you'd need to shop around to find a style that suits you.

I"ve done Hap Ki Do, Muay Thai and capoeira. Have tried Karate and Tae Kwon Do but weren't my 'thing'.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I started sprinting with one of my dogs instead of just walking them each time. She and I both love it! I hate longer running and never would have thought I'd like to sprint, but it's so fun with her :) See if your dog wants to pick up the pace!
  • Warchortle
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

even with yourself?

That uneven bicep pump
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I park ten minutes away from my workplace and my kids school. Without doing anything extra that gives me a reasonable amount of walking 5 days a week. (40 mins per day). I would also suggest gardening, house painting, dance class as other options for you. Or just grit your teeth and get on with it!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

even with yourself?

That uneven bicep pump

Surprise yourself- alternate.

Cheers, h.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was the same. I found the just dance wii games and it was fun! I play them with my kids. Since we homeschool, that's usually their daily PE class on non-Y days.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi all!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who HATES excercising! Running hurts my back, the gym is so boring, and I've never really been in to sports. (That's not to offend anyone who does enjoy the gym/running/sports, good on you guys for getting into it).

I try to get excercise in by swimming/water aerobics, bush walking, taking dogs for a walk, kicking a ball with my partner in the park.

My question is, does anyone have any more ideas about how to get excercise in my days that might be more enjoyable or that serves a double purpose (like walking dogs), or even having so much fun that I don't realise it's excercise??? -I can hope right?

Thanks everyone

Swimming and playing ball is NOT exercise? I am a bit confused about your definition of exercise :)

Agreed. However, for those that hate exercise, it's good to work toward finding an activity they enjoy that they can be consistent with. I cannot fathom hating exercise. That's just so odd to me. But, I know people IRL that tell me that that get no enjoyment whatsoever. From beginning to end, it's complete misery. Lol. It just doesn't compute.

I would say they're not purposeful exercise, as in they are not doing them for the express purpose of exercising.

I agree, but then what's the solution for someone that hates exercise and simply isn't going to do it?

Muscles atrophy, heart weakens, body movements become harder and they most likely don't have the quality of life and die earlier than someone who exercises.

Move it (either through active work, lifestyle or "formal exercise") or lose it, is a very true saying.
  • Warchortle
    Options

even with yourself?

That uneven bicep pump

Cheers, h.

Is that like brushing your teeth with the other hand? It actually stimulates different motor patterns.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I see a bike in your profile picture......would commuting to work by bike be practical?
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Have you tried dancing? There is a lt of workouts online that use dance moves and are pretty fun to do.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

even with yourself?

That uneven bicep pump

Cheers, h.

Is that like brushing your teeth with the other hand? It actually stimulates different motor patterns.

Yes, a whole new experience.
    Putting in eyeliner can end up with a trip to emergency though.

Cheers, h.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to quit calling it 'exercise' and start calling it games. Or calling it fun-activity. If you force yourself to do things you hate, you'll only hate it more. Instead, maybe see if you can get people together to play frisbee in the park, go bowling, join a water-polo group, try hula hooping or poi spinning. GsKiki mentioned dancing, which I loved before my back went. :) I think one of the problems with fitness-mindset today is that we fall into the trap that 'exercise' means going to the gym, spending 30 minutes on the treadmill, then working our way through the weight machines for 45 minutes. It isn't. It's what gets you moving, inspires you, drives you, makes you feel alive. If your workout makes you want to die, find something else.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't hate exercise, I spend a lot of time in the gym lifting. I do hate cardio though and find that I'm not as active as I'd like to be and have a low TDEE. Lately I've been getting off the train two stops early and taking a walk to work. I'm hoping just choosing to walk more will be beneficial.