fitbit question

Options
Hi everyone!

I will be buying a fitbit in the next week. I have a sports nutrition class starting and we track our exercise and diet for an end of the semester project. We do get pedometers, but I've actually been wanting a fitbit for a while, so this is my excuse to splurge a little! :)

I'm looking for recommendations. I looked online and there are many different ones! I'm not sure what to get. Anyone out there with a fitbit that can help? Do you find that yours is very accurate? Easy to use?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, I've had it for almost three years and wear it every day (I can count the times I've left the house without it on one hand).

I really like the one because it's small and can be worn under your clothes in any setting. I literally wore mine under my wedding dress. I wear it clipped to my bra or the neckline of my shirt facing inward, so I notice it when I'm getting undressed and I automatically remove it and transfer it to new clothes every time- by NEVER leaving it off, I never get out of the habit of wearing it or accidentally lose or wash it.

It's very accurate (You can watch it count steps if you're holding it in your hand as you go), much more so than any pedometer I used previously.

A lot of people like the wrist ones for sportiness or to get the heartrate features or have it double for a watch, but there are so many settings where you can't wear a wrist device. I'm compulsive about my fitbit but even I wouldn't have worn the Surge on my wrist during my wedding. You also don't get steps if that arm is still during movement, like when you're pushing a cart or a stroller.

If you're someone who enjoys data collection and analysis, it's a pretty nifty little device to have, and it syncs with MFP well (I like their exercise features better than MFP, and MFP's food tracker better, so I use both together). It's pretty neat to see trends over time when you're tracking ALL your activity. I was putting on weight over the last several months and didn't feel like I'd changed my diet and exercise habits, but looking at my fitbit charts, I could see that my daily activity level had dropped steeply and I was rarely hitting my step targets. That's useful information that motivated me to get back in the saddle of moving more rather than putting it down to age and slowing metabolism and despairing.
  • Zampa13
    Zampa13 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit one which I wear in my bra at work as i cannot wear anything below the elbows and a fitbit on my wrist that monitors my heart rate.

I love both for different reasons.

The one is compact and works well with my working life.
    The other I use at the gym to keep tabs on my work outs and heart rate.

My partner also has the surge and swears by it for running out doors due to GPS track and working out route distance.

It depends what you want or need it for really.
  • flyingfur74
    flyingfur74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR. I love it as it motivates me to keep moving until I get my 10000 steps in a day. Accuracy? I have a Polar HRM (strap attach to chest) as well and I use both at one time playing racquetball. Minor differences in the HR and calories burned, nothing significant. I just log in the lowest calorie burned. For me, I don't like fussing over the chest strap so for everyday use, I go with my Fitbit. I like to see the data it collects when I am working out too. ie.. Fat burn vs cardio.
    If you don't need the heart rate monitor, I would go with the Charge, less expensive.
  • Aquabird
    Aquabird Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I had the Fitbit One and loved it (but I am forgetful and can't count the number of times it went through the wash cycle or I forgot it in the previous day's clothes). So, I upgraded to the Charge HR, which I love, more. The watch and timer aspect are things I didn't think I'd use, but have found to be a great perk in my daily life. My biggest annoyance with the HR is the battery life. I have to charge it at least once a week (more if I use the timer a lot). I've gotten used to putting it on to charge each night while I shower, but I do miss the extended battery life on the One.

The step counter on both matched up to my omron pedometer, so I would say they are accurate in that way. I haven't tested the heart rate feature, though.

As for ease of use, both are super easy to use. One thing I like about the Charge HR is that I have it set to show the time when I raise my arm and show my hear rate when I tap just under the screen. (In the Fitbit app you can choose what you want the different movements to do). I really like that part.
  • ErinR82
    ErinR82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! That's awesome! I'm hoping to have one by the weekend. :)
  • corrinrosales5
    corrinrosales5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Charge hr is the bomb! I charge it every 5 days for about an hr. I wear it pretty much all the time. I set my workouts with a push of the button and of course, it automatically syncs. I like that I can customize it to view what is most important to me like hr, calories, and distance. And I also am in love with the sleep tracking. I suffer from night terrors so this helps me look into when I awake and for how long, etc. really research them all before you make a choice. It really is user preference
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a One and love it. It's easy to conceal and you can wear it almost all the time. I even wear it to soccer games where you're not allowed to wear anything like a bracelet or headband. ;) Shhh
  • DivaRL2022
    DivaRL2022 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Please let me know if I am using MFP and Fitbit correctly. I set the timer when exercising to get an accurate calorie burn. I then record that number on MFP as cardio. I also complete 10K steps and end up with a calorie adjustment for steps. Am I double dipping? Thanks