Why Fiber supplements high in calories?

Options
For years now I have taken several tablespoons of psyllium fiber several times a day. My Dr. Tells me I have one of the cleanest colons he has seen. My father, mother and brother have all had trouble with colon cancer and polyps. I have not. I attribute this to the fiber. Along with keeping your colon healthy it also keeps you regular.
Since embarking on weight loss, I have become a calorie counter. I have to wonder why all the psyllium fiber supplements are so high calorie?
My understanding is the body doesn't actually digest fiber. Therefore, the calories must come from elsewhere? Does anyone know of a low calorie fiber supplement? I have used the Equate sugar free brand but it even has calories. Any ideas? Thanks j

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Most labelling regimes give a calorie value to fiber. Fermentation in the gut releases short chain fatty acids that return energy to the body.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's interesting.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    The calories are on the box/sachet.
    Macrogal 20 cals for 4g f .
    Fybogel(p husk) 4 cala for 4g fibre.
    Lowest cal to fibre ratio i can find.
    Scan your box and report back.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How much are you taking in total fiber per day?
    Did you know that too much fiber can decrease the amount of minerals your body can absorb? I watch my calcium and magnesium and this is always in the back of my mind.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The product you are taking probably has sweeteners to make it more appealing. Look around for a different brand or product without the calories.