New to the diet thing, am I doing it right?

Options
13»

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food. Some seem to be slices or units instead of in grams or oz. maybe your under estimating your food?

Peanut butter is your friend :S it's seems very calorie dense. If all your really after is some extra calories maybe a table spoon of peanut butter will help. you said your low on fats and carbs right?

Peanut butter on toast, that's basically fats and carbs and a little protein isn't it? And not massive in terms of volume.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Vectris wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You are a male, so no! For men the minimum is 1500 calories per day. You will be looking at lots of muscle loss eating so little.

Even with consistent weight training?

ESPECIALLY with consistent weight training. What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight or build muscle? Those two do not often happen at the same time, especially with how little you're eating for your size. You could be losing lean body mass.

Your BMR, with some guesses, is around 2000 calories a day. It's likely you're not getting the nutrients you need with what you're eating. Try Scooby: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/ Scooby is good, Scooby is wise. Scooby can help you learn about calories burned. :smiley:
  • Vectris
    Vectris Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    I think there's an error in your Fitbit setup. I just tried entering your stats (6'3", 295 lbs, male, extreme plan (1000 cal deficit), I assumed 40 years old) and it told me that the calorie goal was 2,182. The goal that you say Fitbit is giving you is way too low.

How you I redo it? I put everything correctly via the app
  • Vectris
    Options
    I would say for a male you need more calories ..1200 is too low for a tall male .....don't be afraid to eat more ....what did MFP give you as far as calories when you put your info in? wishing you much success

Fitbit calculated 1,625 daily for a 750 calorie deficit, 1,325 for 1000. So I input 1,600 to MFP, problem is I feel full by the end of the day. I'll post a pic of my last week totals. If I can

I'm sorry, but that's just absurd. I'm a 5'4" 180 lb. woman in my 50s, with a desk job. 1625 would be a 700 calorie deficit for me before doing any exercise, including the lifting that you think is going to somehow help you retain muscle. Muscle retention requires strength training, adequate protein, and a small enough deficit that your body isn't forced to start harvesting energy from lean body mass because it can't keep up with the deficit by tapping your fat reserves. Most people at nearly 300 lbs would have plenty of fat to keep up with a 1500 or 2000 deficit (which is at a minimum what you're really at if you're really only eating 1200 to 1600 calories a day), but if you really have a 19% BF to start, you don't have enough fat to optimally support your deficit. Keep this up, and you could end up 200 lbs and 25% BF, which I'm guessing isn't what you want.

The other possibility here is that you're actually eating more than you think you are. How long have you been eating what you think is 1200 to 1600 calories? How much have you lost in that time? How do you determine how many calories you are consuming? (Do you use a food scale? Measuring cups? Eyeballing?)

Everything I consume is either weighed by digital scale, or measuring cup
  • Vectris
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    I think there's an error in your Fitbit setup. I just tried entering your stats (6'3", 295 lbs, male, extreme plan (1000 cal deficit), I assumed 40 years old) and it told me that the calorie goal was 2,182. The goal that you say Fitbit is giving you is way too low.

Oh, 31 years old, also a photo of what fitbit says is 1000 calorie deficit.

un4vjc0bcfrz.png

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?

I have never eaten a whole white potato that's only 114. Calories. A little red or Yukon gold potato, maybe.
  • Vectris
    Options
    Guess this explains why fitbit said total calories last week were -7000 :-/, MFP says today I have 800 calories left for my 1600 calorie goal, Fitbit says 1,400 based on activity, I always try burning 3100 calories a day, pic included, friday I didnt wear it 75% of the day.

I guess I'll go by fitbits calories left section that seems to be accurate at 2100-2200 THX everyone

xzoqx3eyn96c.png
  • Vectris
    Options
    Oh and someone wanted a loss number. Last Monday was 295.4 this morning was 286.6
  • anthony_o1
    anthony_o1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are a male, so no! For men the minimum is 1500 calories per day. You will be looking at lots of muscle loss eating so little.

Yep, even with consistant training.

I disagree, this is a low cal intake but if your are doing weight training and you are eating around 150grams of protein then you shouldn't loose to much muscle mass. Maybe addin and extra 200-250 cal you will see much more results consisting of muscle mass and still be loosing fat at the same time.

I would recommend loosing the weight first and not worrying about the muscle mass as much until you see what your body looks like when there is a low percentage of fat. You will be able to work better with your body shape and build a more designed body one you have a good understanding of what your body structure looks like
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That does seem like a very high loss rate--but how are you feeling?
  • Moriarek
    Moriarek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Vectris, if you keep this low caloric intake, your organism will adapt and slow down metabolism. You really need to eat more - I'm now 6'1", 240 lbs male and I eat around 2400 kcal. I started at 310 lbs more than 1,5 years ago and I ate about 2650 and I went down to about 200 lbs in 11 months (I wish I could go even lower, but I got chronic knee injury). Now I had a knee surgery a few months back so I gained some, but this plan works! Just give it some time, especially if you will do weight workouts and eat nice, "clean" food.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I bet you could lose weight on 3000 calories a day. To get to/maintain 295, you were probably eating 4000-5000 calories.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm a 5'2 female aged 42 and I lose eating between the range of 1800-2100! Started at 66 kg. I'm currently 59.5 kg 4 months later. I have 2-5 kg to go.

You are so much taller than me at 6'3 !! and around 300 lbs! You need way more than 1200-1500 !! That would put you at something like 50 % or more defecit. That's just craaazy! You will lose muscle doing that! I think you would do well eating at 2500 depending on your activity level. Perhaps a range from 2200-2700.

You need to figure out your TDEE and don't cut any more than 20 - 25% defecit.

Good luck. :smile:
  • Vectris
    Options
    That does seem like a very high loss rate--but how are you feeling?

I feel great, more active, a little tired in the mornings but normal case for insomnia, 10-15 min walk recharges the batteries and I'm good to go.
  • Vectris
    Options
    anthony_o1 wrote: »

I disagree, this is a low cal intake but if your are doing weight training and you are eating around 150grams of protein then you shouldn't loose to much muscle mass. Maybe addin and extra 200-250 cal you will see much more results consisting of muscle mass and still be loosing fat at the same time.

I would recommend loosing the weight first and not worrying about the muscle mass as much until you see what your body looks like when there is a low percentage of fat. You will be able to work better with your body shape and build a more designed body one you have a good understanding of what your body structure looks like

Not really worried about gaining muscle, if I do I do, I have enough as is trying to maintain what I already have while losing the weight. Protein goal is between 110-130 a day.

• Vectris
    Options
    Moriarek wrote: »
    Vectris, if you keep this low caloric intake, your organism will adapt and slow down metabolism. You really need to eat more - I'm now 6'1", 240 lbs male and I eat around 2400 kcal. I started at 310 lbs more than 1,5 years ago and I ate about 2650 and I went down to about 200 lbs in 11 months (I wish I could go even lower, but I got chronic knee injury). Now I had a knee surgery a few months back so I gained some, but this plan works! Just give it some time, especially if you will do weight workouts and eat nice, "clean" food.

I'm eating 5+ "meals" a day to keep the metabolism working, and am going to increase calorie intake to 2000 at least
  • Vectris
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    I'm a 5'2 female aged 42 and I lose eating between the range of 1800-2100! Started at 66 kg. I'm currently 59.5 kg 4 months later. I have 2-5 kg to go.

You are so much taller than me at 6'3 !! and around 300 lbs! You need way more than 1200-1500 !! That would put you at something like 50 % or more defecit. That's just craaazy! You will lose muscle doing that! I think you would do well eating at 2500 depending on your activity level. Perhaps a range from 2200-2700.

You need to figure out your TDEE and don't cut any more than 20 - 25% defecit.

Good luck. :smile:

BMR: 2382

TDEE: 3170

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    anthony_o1 wrote: »

Not really worried about gaining muscle, if I do I do, I have enough as is trying to maintain what I already have while losing the weight. Protein goal is between 110-130 a day.

That's too low for your weight in defecit ..its not about gaining muscle but about preserving as much as possible as you cut .. you are going to lose some LBM anyway

Please return to the guidelines for protein and fats up thread

Also your first week at 10lbs loss is not that worrying due to water weight but if it continues to be above 2lb over the next couple of weeks you need to eat more

you do anyway
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Moriarek wrote: »

I'm eating 5+ "meals" a day to keep the metabolism working, and am going to increase calorie intake to 2000 at least

The number of meals per day means nothing - but your target calorie goal sounds much better :)