Calluses getting bad

Options
So I've been weight lifting for about a year now. And the calluses on my hands are getting really bad. So bad people comment on it when I we handshake. Even my mom said it was gross. Lol. Anyway I've started using gloves but they won't still go away. Anyone have any tips on how to get rid of them? Thanks

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You can get a pumice stone and try an rub them down after you shower. But it's generally not a "bad" thing.
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Get a Pumice stone. When they gwt real big thwy rip off and it really sucks.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I plane mine down with a razor. You can find them in the foot section of the grocery store.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Please take care of your callouses. Not just for aesthetics, but because eventually they will tear and that is super unpleasant for you, and the person who has to use the bar after you.

Pumice stones and files work well for regular maintenance. If you've let them get to the point that your mom is on your case about it, you probably need to use a dremel tool or a plane razor. All of these things will be in the foot care section of stores.

In the meantime, moisturize your hands on a regular basis (like, every time you wash them) to help prevent tearing.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    There is also the option of getting a manicure watch it with Dremel and razor really easy to cause damage there.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    chalking your hands when lifting will help a little.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    chalking your hands when lifting will help a little.

That and properly gripping the bar. If you are gripping the bar low in your hand when you are pulling then you'll pinch the skin and make the callouses worse. The same is true if you grip the bar high in your hand and push.

I've been lifting again for 1 year and my callouses are only mildly worse than they were before I started lifting.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Gloves made my callouses worse. I use chalk; they're still there, just not as noticeable. When they're really bad, I just take my nail file and grind them down.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Pumice stone weekly to keep them planed.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I shave mine down GENTLY with a dulled razor when I'm showering. I use the same one/two bladed razors I use on my face and head. I suppose the fancy 19 bladed razors would work fine too provided you can afford the mortgage on them. Just don't try to hack the whole thing off. A few swipes to smooth that top rough layer is good enough (for me at least).