Zero Calories??

Options
Someone here gave me the brilliant suggestion of adding some pickle relish to tuna for a little variety; so I did, and it's delicious, but in logging the relish, the label says that there are zero calories in one tablespoon. How is that possible? How can a food not have any calories? What am I missing?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it has under 10 calories a serving (might be 5?), they can put 0 calories in the label. Hence the crazy serving sizes sometimes like 1 1/2 pickle or something.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Zero calories on here does not mean that they don't have calories. It just means that at the serving size, the amount of calories we metabolize is pretty much insignificant. Calorie counting isn't precise for many reasons. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients. Some even have high fructose corn syrup.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients. Some even have high fructose corn syrup.

High fructose corn syrup? SOMEONE CALL POISON CONTROLLLLLL
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I think if we stopped buying products with HFCS, companies would stop pumping it into our foods. Even stuffing has it now. Companies are adding it to everything to make everything taste more sugary. It's cheap and it makes food taste good.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It means don't sweat it unless you are having multiple servings. IE, some non-stick sprays have "zero" cals per 1s spray, but I heard of a lady using the whole can on her baked potato and it ended up being over 1000 cals. lol.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Or chop up pickles, or pickle slices. Try different spices on your tuna.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    To still your fears, it has no HFCS, of which I am not afraid. I'm responsible enough to limit my consumption of all foods to within reasonable amounts for my body's needs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of "zero calorie" things, depending on what's going on with my weight I will choose to either quick add 5 calories per serving, or sometimes I make my own entry or find one another member made. I do this with gum (I chew a lot), hot sauce, walden farms syrups (lie, I never log them), and olive oil spray.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I over ride the calories to 5.