Any tips for a stay at home mom ??

Options
So im in a bind, I'm a stay at home mom with a 5 month old and live in a country where most of the year it's freezing outside .. currently it's been snowing and or raining and I just stay at home walking back between the kitchen and the living room. Any tips on what to do to cut the snacking out. I've been gulping water every time I have an urge to eat but that can only go so far any advice is appreciated !! Thank you!!

Replies

• __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1. Calisthenics + HIIT.
    2. Plan your meals and don't buy unhealthy snacks.
    3. Don't overthink the whole thing.
    4. Once you're up for it, invest in some basic free weights and/or kettlebells.
    5. Structure is your friend. I work from home a lot and I find that if I can add structure to my day, I tend to be more productive and feel healthier.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Buy a treadmill or stationary bike to get some exercise... for the food unfortunately it's down to willpower.
  • weejen73
    weejen73 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm also at home with my wee one, i got myself a fitbit and get my steps in around the house when there weathers bad like now to cold and snowy to go out. I also cut up veggies and fruit and keep them in the fridge and when ever i feel hungry i just have some sliced peppers, carrots, watermelon etc. I find if its on hand i don't eat other things like chips n chocolate.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Check out YouTube for some fitness videos. You can do them while your baby naps or watches you from the playpen. Plan small snacks at the start of the day then stick to that plan. If you feel bored find a hobby to do or come onto MFP for a boost!
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike. I've been using mine for my cardio since I can't get out and walk lately.
    Bodyweight based resistance or resistance bands.
    Plan your food in advance.
    Sugar free gum helps if you really want a sweet.
  • justinesugi
    justinesugi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Buy a treadmill or stationary bike to get some exercise... for the food unfortunately it's down to willpower.

The workout is not the issue I can go to the gym or workout at home daily it's just the fact of being home haha. Thank you for the input though :)
  • KJ4health
    KJ4health Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I second the structure! Plan your meals, write them down. Have things prepared and ready to go!! Eat regularly, so you are not starving then binge.
    -I would even go as far as get the tempting foods out of the house that call your name.
    -See if the grocery store in your area can do "order on line" and pick up. This has saved me so many times. I do my menu for the week, take inventory, and simply go to the computer and order, then pick up. I love it! It keeps me from buying foods I don't need, and I literally have everything I need for my meals. No excuses!!

Stay strong! You can do this!!! It will get easier.
  • justinesugi
    Options
    __Wolf__ wrote: »
    1. Calisthenics + HIIT.
    2. Plan your meals and don't buy unhealthy snacks.
    3. Don't overthink the whole thing.
    4. Once you're up for it, invest in some basic free weights and/or kettlebells.
    5. Structure is your friend. I work from home a lot and I find that if I can add structure to my day, I tend to be more productive and feel healthier.

Thank you for your input.. structure is a but difficult being a military family things are constantly changing, and being home.mostly alone with 3 younger kids tends to be difficult to work out at home .. but I found agree planning meals and snacks is a must !! Thank you for the input :)
  • justinesugi
    Options
    weejen73 wrote: »
    Hi i'm also at home with my wee one, i got myself a fitbit and get my steps in around the house when there weathers bad like now to cold and snowy to go out. I also cut up veggies and fruit and keep them in the fridge and when ever i feel hungry i just have some sliced peppers, carrots, watermelon etc. I find if its on hand i don't eat other things like chips n chocolate.

yes I totally agree with the planned snacking !!

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Very cold where I live too. Rainy often, today was brutally windy. I wrap up warm and go out, I get cold, I get wet, but I get out. When my kids were small I wrapped them up too, tossed them in their stroller/pram and put a rain cover over it, they stayed dry and warm and I got out.
  • justinesugi
    Options
    KJ4health wrote: »
    I second the structure! Plan your meals, write them down. Have things prepared and ready to go!! Eat regularly, so you are not starving then binge.
    -I would even go as far as get the tempting foods out of the house that call your name.
    -See if the grocery store in your area can do "order on line" and pick up. This has saved me so many times. I do my menu for the week, take inventory, and simply go to the computer and order, then pick up. I love it! It keeps me from buying foods I don't need, and I literally have everything I need for my meals. No excuses!!

Stay strong! You can do this!!! It will get easier.

I wish I had that option haha I am currently living overseas with my family so it's always trips to the commissary, but yes I do agree structure and planed snacks and meals is a must thank you for the input :)
  • justinesugi
    Options
    Check out YouTube for some fitness videos. You can do them while your baby naps or watches you from the playpen. Plan small snacks at the start of the day then stick to that plan. If you feel bored find a hobby to do or come onto MFP for a boost!

Im currently doing the turbo fire program , the workout is not the issue it's just the snacking that's Killing me haha . I will start planning smarter snacks though . Thank you ! :)
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Im a mom to a 15 monh old. I do indoor workouts via Youtube during my son's naps. I have no problem being able to juggle a toddler and working out.
  • 00EmilyJo00
    00EmilyJo00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you, stay at home mom to a 4 month old, in the country and getting lots of snow and rain haha! YouTube videos are good for workouts, plan meals and have healthy choices for snacks to grab and not a bunch of junk.
  • Tobysgirl212
    Tobysgirl212 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find it is important to plan at least one outing per day. We either run errands or go to the library story time. I'm not sitting at home. That would drive me bananas. With a five month old you could sign up for various mommy and me classes, from music to yoga, or join a moms group.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Plan your food for the day. I like pre-logging my whole day and I plan 1-2 afternoon/evening snacks.
    Put food out of sight. The only food I have out is a bowl of fruit.
    Don't buy much quick snack food.
    Get enough protein.
    Chew gum. Drink water.
    Get out of the kitchen/house.
    Are you eating out of boredom? Work on finding something interesting to do or adults to communicate with.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Try to get out of the house....even if its cold out. Join a gym with childcare, go walk laps around the mall, visit the library. Do what you can to mitigate the mind numbing boredom that comes with being a SAHM (in my opinion and i am a SAHM to 4 kids ages 7,6,4,1.5).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Find a craft you enjoy that you can do around the kids....i took up crochet soon after my oldest was born. I love it because i can stop anytime and pick it up minutes, days or months later. It requires very little supplies (a hook and some yarn), and i can do it mindlessly while paying attention to the kids.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one with a kid who doesn't mind staying inside? then again I don't have my own car and this neighborhood isn't very safe. It's not terrible, but I am located close to a crime prone area where people have been robbed in broad daylight and where shootings occur at night.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Are you still breast feeding? If yes, that's probably the reason for the hunger. Pick healthy snacks and throw out junk.