How often do you eat?

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of snacks/snacking (where I live, "snacks" is a salty, crunchy, fatty junky food like chips/crisps, peanuts, biscuits or pork rinds) - but I eat four meals a day and my metabolism is just fine :D Today I was very disciplined and had breakfast at 11.30, lunch at 14.30, dinner 17.30 and supper 21.30.

my snacks are fruit or veggies or pretzel thins and cheese .... i had a slice of peanut butter toast for my morning snack today cause i was starving after my workout.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of snacks/snacking (where I live, "snacks" is a salty, crunchy, fatty junky food like chips/crisps, peanuts, biscuits or pork rinds) - but I eat four meals a day and my metabolism is just fine :D Today I was very disciplined and had breakfast at 11.30, lunch at 14.30, dinner 17.30 and supper 21.30.

By snack I mean like a banana or something :)

I eat at:

6am
    6pm
    then if I need to 7.30pm (when I'm on a 6 foods a day cycle)

the 'snack' usually gets inserted straight after I work out (so around 1.30-2pm) and is generally just a piece of fruit.

But yes - snacks does mean stuff like pretzels!!!
  • johnnakrob
    johnnakrob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank You all for responding. It is so interesting to see all the different ways people eat. I will stick to the 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. But will try to eat lower calories for snacks. Not to say I eat more than my daily 1200 calories. I never do. Just would like to use the calories more for meals than snacks.
  • cairoqueen27
    cairoqueen27 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    5-6 times a day!
    I try to plan my meals and snacks and keep to a time and eat regularly through the day as when I get too hungry I reach for sugary snacks and then binge eat, so breakfast at 9, snack at 11, lunch at 2, snack at 4, dinner at 7, and sometimes supper at 9.
    Wow looking at that I think I'm always eating or planning to eat!
    Maybe I should exercise as often to match....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    my snacks are fruit or veggies or pretzel thins and cheese .... i had a slice of peanut butter toast for my morning snack today cause i was starving after my workout.

I eat at:

6am
    6pm

the 'snack' usually gets inserted straight after I work out (so around 1.30-2pm) and is generally just a piece of fruit.

:D Does snacks really have two slightly different meanings in the US? I'm in Norway and we love everything American, but we don't always get it right :s Both "salty, crunchy treat" AND "small meal"? Is the difference between a meal and a snack that the snack is smaller/unplanned/incomplete/postworkout/eaten on the run?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran I think I call "snack" a snack because it's like one quick little thing. All my other 'foods' are massive bowls filled with stuff that takes time to eat.

So 'snack' to me is like a quick thing to take the edge off hunger until meal time OR to fuel the body after workout.

I'm in Australia - but I think Aussie definition of snack is the same as USA
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    4-5
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    @kommodevaran I think I call "snack" a snack because it's like one quick little thing. All my other 'foods' are massive bowls filled with stuff that takes time to eat.

So 'snack' to me is like a quick thing to take the edge off hunger until meal time OR to fuel the body after workout.

I'm in Australia - but I think Aussie definition of snack is the same as USA

Thank you for your explanation! I love language almost as much as I love food :p
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I eat at:

6am
    6pm

:D Does snacks really have two slightly different meanings in the US? I'm in Norway and we love everything American, but we don't always get it right :s Both "salty, crunchy treat" AND "small meal"? Is the difference between a meal and a snack that the snack is smaller/unplanned/incomplete/postworkout/eaten on the run?

Yes, pretty much.

To me a snack is any food between meals (other than a dessert that closely follows a meal). Usually smaller than a meal. Some people might call planned ones "mini meals" (although that's a newer thing from people claiming that it's beneficial to plan them in and eat all the time).

Both come from the meaning "a small portion of food."
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I eat lunch and dinner and one or two snacks.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 or 6 times a day, small portions every 3 or so hours.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a small breakfast, then lunch and supper. I have a snack after supper. So I guess that makes 4 meals for me!

Honestly though, do what works for you. If 6 small meals work for you, then do it :)
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I start eating at noon, sometimes a bit after that. I generally eat a decent lunch, maybe a snack a little later, and big dinner. Dinner is usually around 5:30 or 6. Some times I eat after dinner but lately I haven't.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    3 meals 1 snack normally.

Breakfast around 7:30
    Lunch around 1:00
    Dinner around 6:00
    Snack around 9:00

• BULLET9992
    BULLET9992 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    johnnakrob wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been try to eat every 2 to 3 hours through out the day. I am wondering if anyone else does this? I eat 6 small meals a day and find I do not ever get hungry eating this way.

Thanks for opinions.
    Johnna

Eat as frequently or infrequently as you want as long as you stay within your set calorie range. Most people have the best luck either on one end of the spectrum or the other. Doing intermittent fasting (small eating window / 1 large meal daily) or 5-6 meals +/- snacks per day seam do get faster results than somewhere in the middle. The standard 3 meals a day isn't very typical for positive results.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Usually 3 meals and 3 snacks.

Good breakfast: Often oatmeal with additions of nuts, raisins, and dried cranberries, coffee
    AM snack: banana
    Lunch:Often just a sandwich: Sandwich Thin with meat or cheese, but sometimes with vegetables.
    PM snack: Often almonds after I am done at the gym
    Cooked dinner varies greatly
    Night snack: something sweet but low calorie: yogurt, fudgsicle, or fruit.

70044776.png
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I eat at:

6am
    6pm

Yes, pretty much.

To me a snack is any food between meals (other than a dessert that closely follows a meal). Usually smaller than a meal. Some people might call planned ones "mini meals" (although that's a newer thing from people claiming that it's beneficial to plan them in and eat all the time).

Both come from the meaning "a small portion of food."
    Thanks :smile: I just get so confused - but I admit that I will sometimes eat outside meals too. I'd just call that a "treat", I think. We do have a similar concept here ("mellom-måltider" - littteral translation "between-meals") that are planned mini-meals, without being quite real meals - which I don't like, I like things to fit into one category and only one at a time. Lol, I know that's not always possible :#

I usually eat a small breakfast, then lunch and supper. I have a snack after supper. So I guess that makes 4 meals for me!

Honestly though, do what works for you. If 6 small meals work for you, then do it :)
    Haha, now I'm confused for real!
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am trialing intermittent fasting for the next two weeks to see how I take to it. For me, this means I eat between 12:00 and 20:00 only, and yesterday that was two meals.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    5-6 times a day every 2-3 hours x
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    yep, i try to eat roughly every 2-3 hours. 3 light meals of around 400 cals and 2 snacks 100-200 cals, and a low cal hot choc after dinner to curb the craving to snack in the evenings. Works a treat. Also add in a protein shake after gym sessions, that i drink on the walk home , to prevent raiding the kitchen when i get home.