Atkins?

Options
2»

Replies

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The problem with Atkins as a vegetarian is that there aren't many low fat or low carb protien options. I believe that you can do Atkins as a vegetarian if you skip the induction phase. I'm not sure you'd ever get to ketosis on it though. You could get to ketosis by doing a short "fat fast" (supposedly used for breaking plateaus) but, ick. And you probably couldn't maintain ketosis after that when you switched back to vegetarian options.

If you are vegetarian, eggs and cheese are your highest protien options. Milk has a lot of carbs as far as Atkins is concerned.. Tofu, seitan, and tempeh are all non-animal sources of protien, but they also have a fair percentage of calories as carbs. Even quorn is pretty high in carbs as far as Atkins goes. There are plenty of "fake meat" products out there that have a lot of protien, but they also have a ton of sodium.

I have done Atkins in the past and loved it. I felt great and my appetite was under control. My diet is vegan now and I consider Atkins impossible for myself.
  • Lollops
    Lollops Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The problem with Atkins as a vegetarian is that there aren't many low fat or low carb protien options. I believe that you can do Atkins as a vegetarian if you skip the induction phase. I'm not sure you'd ever get to ketosis on it though. You could get to ketosis by doing a short "fat fast" (supposedly used for breaking plateaus) but, ick. And you probably couldn't maintain ketosis after that when you switched back to vegetarian options.

If you are vegetarian, eggs and cheese are your highest protien options. Milk has a lot of carbs as far as Atkins is concerned.. Tofu, seitan, and tempeh are all non-animal sources of protien, but they also have a fair percentage of calories as carbs. Even quorn is pretty high in carbs as far as Atkins goes. There are plenty of "fake meat" products out there that have a lot of protien, but they also have a ton of sodium.

I have done Atkins in the past and loved it. I felt great and my appetite was under control. My diet is vegan now and I consider Atkins impossible for myself.

Thank you so much for this detailed and thoughtful response! It's very helpful! To be honest, I'm just really tempted to water fast again! >_< I guess I'll just keep researching and see what I find. Thank you so much! <3