Are the calories burned in weight training counted in?

Hey everyone. So I've been using this site regularly for the past 2 weeks or so and I've seen how many calories I've burned doing cardio. However, I don't see how many calories were burned when I do weight training. Are they counted into my diary or not?

Replies

• RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    you have to add them.
    look in EXERCISE
    then at the top where you would normally input "bicycling" "walking" etc. (under CARDIOVASCULAR)
    enter STRENGTH TRAINING
    then put how many minutes.
    it should calculate them along with any cardio you do.
    do not enter it under the strength training section at the bottom, as i don't think it will calculate it.
    i think that section is just to measure your reps, sets, etc.

HTH :flowerforyou:
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Calisthenics or circuit training is what I use because when I am breathing very hard and sweating a ton when weight training.
  • joaloha3
    joaloha3 Posts: 3 Member
    So you never enter weight training?
  • joaloha3
    joaloha3 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for your help. I'll try it now =)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Exercises entered under the weight training tab do not generate estimated calories since it is difficult to determine an accurate burn. It depends on a lot of factors (rest time, set speed, supersets, etc.), so MFP doesn't try. There is a weight lifting exercise in the cardio tab that can be used to get a rough estimate.
  • elliebellie78
    elliebellie78 Posts: 41 Member
    So, do you all enter just the time lifting, or do you include rest time too?

For example... i lift 3 sets of 12 reps.. so figure probably only actually lifting for about 90 seconds on each exercise -- but its at least double or more of that with rest included between sets....

Anyone know if the strength training/weight lifting cardio option includes any rest times automatically?
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    This is the bottom line from MFP:

"Our program currently calculates calories for exercises logged in our "Cardiovascular" section only. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you like, you can search for the same or similar exercise in our "Cardiovascular" database. If you can not find the exercise, you can search for the exercise "Strength training" in the cardiovascular database, but please be aware that this is only a rough estimate, and can be fairly inaccurate."
  • elliebellie78
    elliebellie78 Posts: 41 Member
    thanks -- that is helpful!