psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Here are my last 4 months of average bodyweight
    • July: 133.3lb
    • August: 135.1lb
    • September: 136.8lb
    • October:137.1lb

That's what my concern is, the caliper suggests I'm 15% and so I cut back to 12%, but the margins seem too narrow.

I'm going to do a quick cut to 12% and to see what weight I reach.

Strengthwise my I've been doing well and I'm happy with my progress in the gym.

Well there is some error in calipers so don't put all your marbles in that basket. How do you look. Do you feel the need to cut down more. But at 4 lbs in 4 months, that is pretty slow.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Instead of cutting, just recomp. It can be much more beneficial for you mentally and you might see some additional muscle growth from it.

That's an option too, I'll give it some thought.
  • pbryd
    Options
    Do you feel the need to cut down more. But at 4 lbs in 4 months, that is pretty slow.

Measurements aside, I feel I don't want my waist to get any larger. I'd prefer a 2-3 week cut over a recomp.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Do you feel the need to cut down more. But at 4 lbs in 4 months, that is pretty slow.

Measurements aside, I feel I don't want my waist to get any larger. I'd prefer a 2-3 week cut over a recomp.

Then do that.
  • pbryd
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've been cutting over the Christmas, my waist has reduced from an average of 31" (October) to 28.5" present.

I now weigh 123lb, the same as when I did before I started bulking, but my waist is 1" smaller.

This puts me in a much better position than my first lean bulk.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think you might be spinning those wheels my friend. I started at the exact same weight as you, 123lbs, and have managed to gain 30lbs in a little over a year and a half, and only have a 29" waist. There hasn't been much fat gain to be honest, maybe 12/30lbs being fat.

You need to start eating more. Don't even think about cutting until you've gained at least 20 pounds.
  • pbryd
    Options
    Why base the time to cut when you've gained a certain amount of weight?

I made good progress the first 6 months but once my waist hit 30.5", my fat gain accelerated.

I span my wheels cutting from a 31" waist to 30.5" - I did this twice.

I should have cut right back to around 10% bodyfat which is around a 29" waist and started another lean bulk.

This is where I'm at now. I plan on bulking to around 15% bodyfat (30.5") before cutting again, and not letting my bulk get carried away, just to hit a certain weight.
  • pbryd
    Options
    First month bulk saw a nice 2.1lb gain in March, so I'm happy to have the calories (2600-2700) right on target.

I'm currently (this morning) 127lb with a 29" waist. My plan is to bulk to a 30" waist and cut back to 28.5" or maybe 28" if I add cardio to the mix too.
  • pbryd
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mid month progress and I'm right on target, currently averaging a 1.8lb increase from last month

kj8im54w55uq.png
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Nice one. Have you a goal weight in mind @pbryd or bulking as others do until they hate themselves?
  • pbryd
    Options
    In the back of my mind, I'll bulk until my waist hits 30". That might seem far too small but I've got a light bone structure. I started my bulk at 28.5"

That should take around 5 months, then a quick 4-6 week cut.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    Not a bad plan but I would suggest and there is no harm in going up to waist 32".
  • pbryd
    Options
    32" was last year's goal, I got to 31" and felt I just gaining fat.

I'm trying a shorter leaner bulk and will compare it to last years figures.

• jdscrubs32
    Options
    Fair enough. Good luck with it.
  • pbryd
    Options
    April update and I've gained 2.4lb for the month.

f7eibmzddzjf.png

Waist is between 29.25" - 29.5" and I've gained 7lbs total
  • pbryd
    Options
    May update.

I've reduced my calories from 2600-2700 down to 2500. This is slow my gain down and hopefully limit my fat gain, in the hope of extending my bulk for as long as I can.

I've gained 1.3lb on average this month

ci90y8k2hckp.png

• pbryd
    Options
    Half way through June and it's on track with an 0.8lb increase.

ju4v5mvx6gs6.png
  • pbryd
    Options
    June end update and I've gained 1lb after reducing my calories to 2500. I'll keep my calories like this for the next couple of months and see how much I can gain before before my waist hits 30".

twbraa2nihg8.png

• dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    June end update and I've gained 1lb after reducing my calories to 2500. I'll keep my calories like this for the next couple of months and see how much I can gain before before my waist hits 30".

twbraa2nihg8.png

So have you only gained 1lb in a month? How are you doing it i.e. whats your Marcos, and what you using to weigh yourself
  • pbryd
    edited June 2017
    Options
    dalerst wrote: »

So have you only gained 1lb in a month? How are you doing it i.e. whats your Marcos, and what you using to weigh yourself

Yes, 1lb for the month. I weigh myself daily first thing in the morning, and take the monthly average.

Macros, I aim for

1g protein 1lb bodyweight
    0.5g fat / 1lb
    Rest from carbs.