Understanding macros

Options
So.. I looked at the macros and mine is set at 50 30 20. I have already surpassed my protien is that bad? I don't really understand what is good and what's bad

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I view protein and fat as minimum goals. Anything above and beyond that could be carbs or more fat or protein as far as I'm concerned.

For fat loss, though, the bottom line is that total calories are most important.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I view protein and fat as minimum goals. Anything above and beyond that could be carbs or more fat or protein as far as I'm concerned.

For fat weight loss, though, the bottom line is that total calories are most important.

fixed.
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    if you hit your macros you should hit your calories spot on. Its mathematically 100% driven.
  • pierson_lauren
    pierson_lauren Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm saying I'm like over one of my macros which is protien.. is that bad?
  • pierson_lauren
    pierson_lauren Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm still under my calorie intake for the day
  • jemhh
    Options

For fat weight loss, though, the bottom line is that total calories are most important.

fixed.

Nope. But feel free to argue as I'm sure you will.
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Your question was already answered - it is not "bad" that you're over your protein. The recommended protein intake is considered by almost everyone on MFP to be set very low. While you're getting started, concentrate on staying close to your overall calorie goal. You will lose weight as long as you stay close to that number.

After you've done some research and decided on what kind of health/fitness goals you want to shoot for long term, you can adjust your macros. There's a ton of information on setting macros online, and on MFP.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

fixed.

I have no desire to argue, you may be correct, but losing primarily fat involves eating the right macros, having the right training routine, and eating the right calories. all of which are arguably equally important. Losing only weight, which is rarely anyone's goal, involves only eating in a deficit.
    I'm saying I'm like over one of my macros which is protien.. is that bad?

You're fine, as jemhh said, you can view protein as a minimum. Protein is pretty much your best friend when it comes to dieting.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    lol, it's fine. Sorry nobody answered your question. Protein is a good thing.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    When you're over on one, then you are also under on at least one. You might try 40 30 30....get those carbs down a little.
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,844 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My problem is that I'm consuming too much fat. I have my percentages set at 40c-20f-40p but my fat is always too high and protien too low. Any ideas on foods that have significantly more protien and less fat (and less carbs)?
  • jemhh
    Options
    My problem is that I'm consuming too much fat. I have my percentages set at 60-20-20, but my fat is always too high and protien too low. Any ideas on foods that have significantly more protien and less fat (and less carbs)?

How many grams of fat are you eating? .4 gram per pound or more is a good goal.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, tuna, tilapia, protein powder.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options

fixed.

Galgenstrick is right. If fat loss is your goal, then macronutrients play a very important role, in which case you should want to keep protein intake high. Just counting calories will help you lose weight but that can include muscle, water and fat together. The key is to maximize fat loss and avoid muscle loss.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Simplified:

Shoot for .8 grams of protein per lb of body weight (MFP defaults are way below this) as a minimum.

Shoot for .4 grams of fat per lb of body weight as a minimum.

Fill in the remainder of your calories with carbs.

*this is oversimplified and not well explained because it's late and I'm on he verge of sleep.
  • AmberLeannnn
    AmberLeannnn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt :smile:
  • pvignard
    pvignard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chhhhiiicken! yeah, maxi protein :) (just don't cook it in loads of oil...)