Is weight really all about the calories you eat?

Options
I thought through general opions online that if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight ie if 2000 calories a day would maintain you're weight, 2100 calories a day will give you long term weight gain. But i stumbled upon an article that made the point that after a couple of months your body adapts to the extra 100 calories and 2100 becomes your new maintanance amount, am i stupid for losing faith in the app becauae of this?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Very interesting. I knew this was true when you reduce calories.....never thought it might work when you increase calories....hmmmmmm.....this might be an effective way of reverse dieting....
  • Matthanfit
    Matthanfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The more weight you gain the more calories you'll need, unless that's fat weight. So know, just up your calories for each extra kg in weight you gain.
  • get_bigger_faster
    Options
    Ah yeah makes sense. Makes it seem so much harder than just being able have a number and eat at least that every day for a year..thats biology for ya i guess
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I thought through general opions online that if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight ie if 2000 calories a day would maintain you're weight, 2100 calories a day will give you long term weight gain. But i stumbled upon an article that made the point that after a couple of months your body adapts to the extra 100 calories and 2100 becomes your new maintanance amount, am i stupid for losing faith in the app becauae of this?

2100 will be your maintenance calories because you gained enough to match it. Just like as you lose weight, your maintenance calories go down. You're eating to support a smaller person, therefore you require fewer calories.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't forget if your daily energy expenditure goes up or down, you'll need to adjust the calories up or down too.

You can't adjust every day of course, so it's best to work on averages over a month.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

It isn't general opinion but math and science.
    Yes, as we gain or lose our needs adjust.

Why would you lose faith in the app? Just update your cals.