can i really be burning 2500 calories in a day!!

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Sounds reasonable to me.

But like others said it includes all calories burned, calories burned sleeping, beating your heart, breathing, digesting, thinking.

A large portion of your calories burned don't come from exercise or movement.

but why is 2000 calories deemed as the amount that women burn not including exercise?

Average woman

If you're taller, heavier, more active, exercise more you'll burn more. As you would if you have a higher musculature

Now personally I think 2500 might be a bit high .. but then I'm active, workout hard three times a week, have a decent musculature at 5'8 and 160lbs in maintenance .. and I burn on average 2300-2400
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Try putting your stats into this calculator - http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator

imma gonna eat more

I thought I'd hit maintenance at around 2300 .. I might have another 200 per day in me :)

PS OP I use my fitbit and overlay with an HRM for specific workouts, I find it underestimates my TDEE so I generally eat 1500 calories over my MFP allowance each week
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    there is a great website(http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned), you enter your height, weight, age, lifestyle.. etc.. it calculates your BMI (body mass indicator) compares where you are to where you should be, then tells you how many calories you burn per day, this is your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and what your nutritional needs are to maintain weight.. It is a real eye opener. this is great info to set your course for weight loss or maintenance.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    there is a great website(http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned), you enter your height, weight, age, lifestyle.. etc.. it calculates your BMI (body mass indicator) compares where you are to where you should be, then tells you how many calories you burn per day, this is your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and what your nutritional needs are to maintain weight.. It is a real eye opener. this is great info to set your course for weight loss or maintenance.

that's not bad, apart from the having to log additional exercise on a daily rather than weekly basis

again I need to eat more cookies it seems .. munch scarfle snarfle
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm maybe I should get a fitbit. I'd be curious to see just how much I burn during my 2 hour footy training session.

It would be nice to know just how much I'm burning each day, though I'd get a little worried id get a bit obssesed and get carried away and overtrain

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and short and when I do a lot of walking throughout the day I can easily hit 1950-2000 calories. If I'm less active my TDEE is 1700-1800
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    The number Fitbit gives you is dependent on height/weight/age so if you're tall yes you'll get a higher burn . My hubby gets 2800 on his sendentary days and on his usual work days (active job and walks a lot) he'll get 3500.
    I'm petite at 5ft 2 and on my active days it gives me total of 2300 on less than active days 1800. I find it to be an accurate little device and its kept me right since I got it in 2013 :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    The number Fitbit gives you is dependent on height/weight/age so if you're tall yes you'll get a higher burn . My hubby gets 2800 on his sendentary days and on his usual work days (active job and walks a lot) he'll get 3500.
    I'm petite at 5ft 2 and on my active days it gives me total of 2300 on less than active days 1800. I find it to be an accurate little device and its kept me right since I got it in 2013 :smile:

it's still just an estimator .. it follows a specific formula .. one must always check what's happening with their actual body over time

for me it underestimates my TDEE . I've actually been advised to increase my height to make it adjust but I'm happier going in the red on food logging and keeping an eye on the numbers
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

it's still just an estimator .. it follows a specific formula .. one must always check what's happening with their actual body over time

for me it underestimates my TDEE . I've actually been advised to increase my height to make it adjust but I'm happier going in the red on food logging and keeping an eye on the numbers

Agreed!!!!

A little brain power is needed to analyse the data sometimes. Maybe the burn is a little high or low, maybe the input is a little off. If the (bodyweight) scale is not going fast enough - or maybe faster than expected - you have to be ready to make adjustments.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    .deleted
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, but my FitBit is extremely accurate for me. I've had my metabolism tested professionally (participated in a University study) and my FitBit readings are very, very close.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Woodspoon wrote: »
    I had a fitbit charge hr for a while but got rid of it as it was way off of what Runkeeper or treadmills were showing for calorie burn

Was the Fitbit higher or lower than the treadmill?

Could the issue be that a Fitbit calorie burn is all inclusive, bmr+exercise.

While a treadmill or run keeper is just exercise?

I don't know, just seems odd to trust a treadmill etc over a Fitbit.
    I've also found the calorie burn from intentional exercise to be suspect.
    As an example, a few months ago I compared calories burned according to my treadmill and what my Fitbit showed. Keep in mind, I'm 5'8" 125 lbs. The treadmill showed just under 150 calories for 40 minutes of walking at an average speed of 3.3 mph with a slight incline. In that same time period, my Fitbit showed about 275 calories burned.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    According to my Fibit, I burned 1,097 cals yesterday running ten miles and taking over 20k steps. But that is VERY out of the norm for me.

Also Fitbit gives you your TDEE, the only way to figure out how many calories you burned through exercise comes from synching with the MFP app.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    penrbrown wrote: »
    My daily burn is 2800 cals! When I do NOTHING. I think how much you burn daily is dependent on your current weight and activity level, not JUST activity level.

Same here :)

When I'm losing weight, the rate seems to match up properly so I assume the numbers are at least close to correct
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Was the Fitbit higher or lower than the treadmill?

Could the issue be that a Fitbit calorie burn is all inclusive, bmr+exercise.

While a treadmill or run keeper is just exercise?

I don't know, just seems odd to trust a treadmill etc over a Fitbit.

The Fitbit was way out, quite a bit higher
    The treadmills I use have an account sign in and I have my height/weight set up for it and it's usually a pretty close match on a 10km run for Runkeeper, never more than 150 cal out.
    The fitbit was almost doubling what I normally got, it was only ever switched on for running and I setup the online dashboard to only show and use exercise.

A treadmill would be much more trustworthy than gps or fitbit because it's a constant calibrated machine free of outside influence, boring as hell, but constant.
    Gps & activity trackers can all be affected by outside influences, headwind (not included), bad satellite tracking, extra bounce from rough ground or arm movement, various different reasons
  • sisu89
    sisu89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well now I'm curious about my daily 'living' burn. I had always assumed it was something like 1600 since that's what MFP had told me to eat to maintain my weight. Putting my info in at the site posted earlier in this thread gave me a number of 1975 kcals/day.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say no if you're eating that much and not putting on weight. I can eat about 3800 calories a day and not gain weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I find my Fitbit to be fairly accurate, I used it when losing weight and am now maintaining eating all the calories it gives me.

For reference I'm 5'2, 121 lbs, age 41 and have a desk job but I average 14k steps a day. My average burn is 2200 cals.
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Remember the fitbit BMR is constantly running. To make it math simple, say your BMR is 2400 calories per day, or 100 calories per hour.

Your treadmill estimates 200 for one hour of walking, your fitbit shows 300 for the same period. It isn't that either is "off", it is simply interpreted differently.

The sync with MFP, only shows 200 of exercise.

Obviously, the actual numbers aren't that perfect, but the above is just for illustration. I use my fitbit calories, but don't add in any other exercise, and have my settings at sedentary.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I used to think my fitbit was horribly inaccurate. I'm 5'1, 34 years old and at the time was 128lbs. The second day I had it it said I burned over 2500 calories. My average burn was 2300 to 2800 depending on how many steps I took.

I didn't believe it so I purposely ate 200 to 300 less than MFP told me to. And I did it for 8 weeks. During that period I lost 11.8lbs. Instead of 1lb per week like I intended to lose I was losing 1.45lb per week. So my deficit was closer to 750 than 500.

Now I'm 113lbs and my daily average is a little lower....more like 2100 to 2600. Average is around 2300.

I guess I'm just more active than I thought I was. I take 15000 to 25000 steps per day.